Am I the only one... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 02-27-2010, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...who can't find anything to buy at Aldi??

I kept reading/hearing about how great this store is--in blogs, from random people irl, etc.

DH and I drove across town to visit our Aldi and we were so disappointed. There was literally nothing there we would normally buy, except maybe a head of broccoli. We eat healthy, but we also sometimes buy a few processed things, mainly because my DH likes them...a lot. I've learned to just let it go rather than fight it, hah.

I want to know how people go in there and do all of their regular grocery shopping and come out with cart fulls of stuff and say they are saving money. If I bought that much prepackaged food to make meals (which is all they seemed to sell?) we would probably triple our grocery bill!

Is there something amazing about Aldi that I'm totally missing?

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#2 of 21 Old 02-27-2010, 02:21 AM

My parents love it, but they care more about cost than quality. I can never find anything in there, except maybe the wine/beer. 20-some years ago, when I was very young and naive, I thought the store was great. My roommates and I could stock up on cans of soup, noodles, and spaghetti sauce for next to nothing. I think for folks who buy lots of highly processed foods, it can save them a lot of money, since the quality of their label isn't really much different from the major brands.
#3 of 21 Old 02-27-2010, 02:28 AM

Oh man, my mom is the same way! Everytime she has her Aldi talk, I think I should go there.

I do actually go there every now and then to stock up on their super big grapefruits. And I get their $1 tortilla chips and their mamacita salsa. I'm addicted to that salsa...don't like any other kind.

Other than that...I find the quality questionable and the prices aren't much cheaper than my regular store...besides I use coupons so sometimes Aldi is more expensive.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#4 of 21 Old 02-27-2010, 03:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
No, I wasn't impressed either. I haven't been often enough to comment about any particular items. I wouldn't go out of my way to shop there.
#5 of 21 Old 02-27-2010, 08:09 AM

The only thing I buy there is baby wipes (and occasionally sposies if we're going on holidays). Otherwise, it's all processed rubbish, questionable quality, and almost none of it is made in Australia (we try to buy local as much as possible).

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
#6 of 21 Old 02-27-2010, 10:01 AM

I do some shopping at Aldi's, but certainly not the bulk of my shopping there. I don't entirely understand the full cart people, either. I don't use a lot of processed food so what I buy is a bit limited. I primarily buy cereal, my husband's fruit bars and veggies there. Oh, and my daughter's canned green beans (it's her favorite food--yuck). For a decent veggie selection I've found that it depends on which day you go. Ours stocks their vegetables on Saturday mornings so there's a good selection, any other day, not so much.

Candace - Mama to Molly (02/06), Max (06/08) and Maggie (03/10)
#7 of 21 Old 02-27-2010, 11:19 AM

If you like processed food, lots of MSG, and below average produce, Aldi is the store for you!

Single Mama to five 6 and under!
#8 of 21 Old 02-27-2010, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I could see buying one or two things there, like tortilla chips...but I can't figure out how people do their weekly meal shopping there.

For what it's worth, apparently my Aldi doesn't really have produce. When we went the only thing they had were some sad looking heads of broccoli.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#9 of 21 Old 02-27-2010, 11:37 AM

I haven't been to an Aldi's in years since I no longer live near one. However 15+ years ago I shopped at Aldi's when I was a struggling single Mama who had to make her dollars stretch. I also ate a lot differently than I do now.

I seem to recall they were good for staples like flour, sugar, etc (provided you are ok with basic white flour/sugar). I also got the canned veggies, tomato products, snack foods..pretty basic food and it was cheap. Let's put it this way I recall being able to go there and $50 worth of food feeding me and my son for weeks.

All that to say if you are someone wanting natural/organic type stuff unless things have really changed I cannot imagine there being much to get at Aldi's. I admit if I had one near me I'd go to get my baking supplies and a few other things.

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#10 of 21 Old 02-27-2010, 12:40 PM

Well I find it to be a great place to go when money is tight and we are low on staples. They have milk, cheese, yogurt, baking supplies, wine and beer, cereals, produce ( ours does) and canned soups, beans, and frozen stuff.

I dont like their meat usually, but we don't eat much meat anyway. I'm sure that if you are looking for organic, Aldi's is not the place for you. ( I'm also sure some things have msg, but isnt that the same with all grocery stores? LOL )

But really, unless you make your own soups and beans, tortillas and milk and cheese, surely you can find something at Aldi's to like!!!!

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

#11 of 21 Old 02-27-2010, 12:50 PM
2xy

When Aldi's opened up near us, I heard all the hoopla so DH and I popped over to check it out.

I'm not looking for all organics, but fresh foods would be nice. All ours had was canned and other packaged goods, and cured meats. The produce I recall was stuff like bags of onions and potatoes. Not worth the trip, for us. Also, the thing about needing quarters to get a cart was a bit annoying. I understand why they do it, but still.

No wine and beer at our Aldi's. All alcohol is sold at liquor stores here.
#12 of 21 Old 02-27-2010, 12:51 PM

I am with all of you- you can get some staples there and we do- there is an Aldi's a block away from us and they do sell decent tortilla chips, corn tortillas and some other house stuff. I am choosey about my veggies and fruits and I have a great veggie market in the neighborhood too so I skip Aldi for those. They do have some good stuff that comes in on special purchase. A few weeks ago they had Amy's Organic stuff for really inexpensive- frozen pizzas and the like, but after a long day I am totally into that stuff. My dh is not picky about his foods, he would be happy getting everything from there if I weren't in the household.

ETA I also buy flour, olive oil, some spices and nuts there. We cannot afford to be all organic so we pick and choose what, from what I have read, is most important as far as going organic and just splurge on those few items at Trader Joes or the local small healthfood store.

Mama to A born 8/7/99
#13 of 21 Old 02-27-2010, 12:57 PM

I have friends that buy all of their dairy products there and say they save a lot of money. One of them goes through 6 gallons of milk a week so I'm sure it's saving her a ton.

I'm picky about my cheese and can't imagine needed 6 gallons of milk! Plus our Aldi is not near my usual shopping. Add in that I never have a quarter to get a cart and it's just not worth it for me!
#14 of 21 Old 02-27-2010, 01:05 PM

Some of their bread is vegan, which is hard to find anywhere else. Anything processed or packaged that I'm going to buy anyway (taco shells, canned beans, frozen veggies, canned coconut milk, flour, rice, sauces, seasoning, dry beans, sugar, ect) I'll just buy there since it's so much cheaper.

Ours has a decent produce section. It's not varied like a big grocery store, but you can get apples, bananas, onions, tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, ect for cheap.

I've never bought meat there, but they have ground turkey and hamburger for cheap. Chicken breasts. Corndogs and nuggets. They have milk and eggs and cheese.

Maybe ours is more varied. You could easily get everything you needed there if you ate a completely mainstream diet (I don't so I get a lot from kroger too).
#15 of 21 Old 02-27-2010, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Wow my Aldi must be really small...? It has an isle of candy/cookies/desserts, an isle with random canned goods and spaghetti sauce, and an isle with chips/salty snacks and off brand 2-liters. Then there's some random kitchen supplies and toys.

Along one wall there's a freezer section but it didn't have anything good in it like those Amy's meals! And there's a small refrigerated section along the perpendicular wall that had broccoli, eggs, shrimp, and some pre-stuffed chicken breasts that looked scary.

That's pretty much it! I didn't see any baking supplies or anything like that, maybe I missed them.

Side note: Their brand of chicken was Fit and Lively. I could not stop laughing at that, considering factory farmed chickens are anything but fit and lively!

#16 of 21 Old 02-27-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandgeek View Post
Some of their bread is vegan, which is hard to find anywhere else. Anything processed or packaged that I'm going to buy anyway (taco shells, canned beans, frozen veggies, canned coconut milk, flour, rice, sauces, seasoning, dry beans, sugar, ect) I'll just buy there since it's so much cheaper.

Ours has a decent produce section. It's not varied like a big grocery store, but you can get apples, bananas, onions, tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, ect for cheap.

I've never bought meat there, but they have ground turkey and hamburger for cheap. Chicken breasts. Corndogs and nuggets. They have milk and eggs and cheese.

Maybe ours is more varied. You could easily get everything you needed there if you ate a completely mainstream diet (I don't so I get a lot from kroger too).
This description is like the Aldis I've been to. I haven't lived near one since 2002 though.
#17 of 21 Old 02-27-2010, 02:33 PM

I just go the mail and there was an Aldi ad in it. While I don't shop there for food so much (even though I do grab chips, salsa, and olives there fairly often) they do have "special buys" that are pretty good deals. This week they have women's wellies for 10 dollars and kids for 7. They have comforter sets under twenty bucks, too and plants for 5. Aldi isn't half bad for stuff like that.

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
#18 of 21 Old 02-27-2010, 04:26 PM

I buy fruits, veggies, meat, cheeses, bread, cereal, milk, etc. At Aldis.

Very little processed anything.
#19 of 21 Old 02-27-2010, 05:33 PM

It seems like Aldi's is trying to improve their brand/quality. I do find some of the produce to be low quality, and I can never find everything I want in one shopping trip there. But they do have some great stuff at a great deal. All the dairy is less expensive than other chain stores, they are now selling things like hummis and fresh salsa in the refrigerator. Also, they have a jarred marinara sauce with no HFCS which is common in many store bought sauces. That said, I always leave aldi's feeling like I didn't shop the way I would have liked. ie. I bought more processed/packaged foods than I would have wanted.

Heather-- I'm a <>< SAHM of two fabulous boys 8/05 and 2/07
#20 of 21 Old 02-27-2010, 06:21 PM

never heard of the place.
#21 of 21 Old 02-27-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper44 View Post
Wow my Aldi must be really small...? It has an isle of candy/cookies/desserts, an isle with random canned goods and spaghetti sauce, and an isle with chips/salty snacks and off brand 2-liters. Then there's some random kitchen supplies and toys.

Along one wall there's a freezer section but it didn't have anything good in it like those Amy's meals! And there's a small refrigerated section along the perpendicular wall that had broccoli, eggs, shrimp, and some pre-stuffed chicken breasts that looked scary.

That's pretty much it! I didn't see any baking supplies or anything like that, maybe I missed them.

Side note: Their brand of chicken was Fit and Lively. I could not stop laughing at that, considering factory farmed chickens are anything but fit and lively!
That sounds like my Aldi's

My body can't handle MSG very well so I tend not to really shop there much. Their olives, olive oil, baking supplies and such are ok but I just like to make one or two grocery trips since ds is a toddler now. I *have* to go to a NFS for some things and so making three trips to the store is too much of a PITB.

Not all those who wander are lost 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page