Pirate Birthday Party.....I need ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 02-28-2010, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are celebrating my son's 4th birthday party at a splash pool with a Noah's Ark theme, but he wants a "Pirate Party".

I think that he will receive the Playmobil large Pirate Ship as a gift, the bakery can incorporate the ship into the cake design.

The menu will consist of either hot dogs or Nachos with the appropriate toppings. We want to offer two or three snacks for children to munch on if they work up an appetite before the main meal. The only idea that I have is to serve "treasure cups". Pudding dirt cups with a hidden treasure.

I also need inexpensive party favor ideas. I don't like the gift bags that are filled with candy and trinket toys, but we are inviting about 50 children.
Last year we gave sports bottles, Cliff Kid's bars and fruit leather. I don't want to give the same party favors again. Target has foam swords for $1, but I don't want to offend any parents.

We will hold a treasure hunt 15 minutes before the pool party begins, is that enough organized play or should I host a game or two in the pool area. I thought about hiding the diving sticks and rings throughout the pool area for the children to find.

If you have any ideas, please share.

+ + =
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 02-28-2010, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Little parrots?

Tiny treasure chests?

I understand your reluctance about the swords, the plastic cutlass route isn't always the best way to go.

Playmobil pirate ship was a favorite here for years. Hope your DS has a happy!!

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#3 of 27 Old 02-28-2010, 07:56 PM

You said no candy but I would think chocolate coins? You can get fake plastic coins but I wouldn't want something kids might choke on at that age.

Eyepatches
Fake mustaches
Bandannas
Kaleidoscopes or telescopes
Pirate hats
Tattoos

Not all those who wander are lost 
#4 of 27 Old 02-28-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
You said no candy but I would think chocolate coins? You can get fake plastic coins but I wouldn't want something kids might choke on at that age.

Eyepatches
Fake mustaches
Bandannas
Pirate hats
Tattoos
Oh man...I wanna come to THAT party!

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#5 of 27 Old 02-28-2010, 09:36 PM

Oh and when they arrive they should have to choose a pirate name!

And can you get all the helping adults to dress as pirates and talk like them? and can you build a plank for the pool and make the winner of each game walk the plank? That would be fun!

You could play pin the eye patch on the pirate!

Or musical life-boats

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#6 of 27 Old 02-28-2010, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post

Eyepatches
Fake mustaches
Bandannas
Pirate hats
Tattoos
I have no problems with chocolate coins, and I actually considered giving those out in either a bag or a treasure chest. I am not opposed to candy, just handing out a bag full of sugary candy and trinket toys.

hmmm.....maybe chocolate goins wrapped in a bandana....

Eypatches are definetly on my list, but I never thought about tattoos......

If we didn't have a pool party we were goign to have the children make telescopes out of papertowel rolls.

Thank you!!!!

+ + =
#7 of 27 Old 02-28-2010, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMadly View Post
Little parrots?

Tiny treasure chests?

I understand your reluctance about the swords, the plastic cutlass route isn't always the best way to go.

Playmobil pirate ship was a favorite here for years. Hope your DS has a happy!!
Oh, I like the little parrot idea.

+ + =
#8 of 27 Old 02-28-2010, 10:18 PM

Loads of pirate party favors

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#9 of 27 Old 03-01-2010, 04:35 AM

I was going to say that maybe you could do some sort of "walk the plank" game off the small diving board at the pool, but that might be a little much for 4 year olds

It might be fun if everyone talked in pirate speak though. YAR!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#10 of 27 Old 03-01-2010, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakeber View Post
Oh and when they arrive they should have to choose a pirate name!

And can you get all the helping adults to dress as pirates and talk like them? and can you build a plank for the pool and make the winner of each game walk the plank? That would be fun!

You could play pin the eye patch on the pirate!

Or musical life-boats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post
I was going to say that maybe you could do some sort of "walk the plank" game off the small diving board at the pool, but that might be a little much for 4 year olds

It might be fun if everyone talked in pirate speak though. YAR!
I like the name and pin the pirate idea!!!!

I think that walking the plank might be a but much for younger guests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_babe View Post
I love the items at Oriental Trading, but there is a general consensus against skulls and cross bones amongst many of my mom friends.

+ + =
#11 of 27 Old 03-01-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsMother View Post
I have no problems with chocolate coins, and I actually considered giving those out in either a bag or a treasure chest. I am not opposed to candy, just handing out a bag full of sugary candy and trinket toys.

Well, it would be more fun if they could all be "AAAAAARRRR hand off me booty!!! AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRR"

Not all those who wander are lost 
#12 of 27 Old 03-01-2010, 02:13 PM
crl

Does Pirate's Booty come in snack size bags?

Catherine
#13 of 27 Old 03-01-2010, 02:47 PM

I did a wax stamp on the invitations when my son had a party like this, it was really fun to do a wax seal.
#14 of 27 Old 03-01-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crl View Post

Catherine
http://www.epinions.com/review/Pirat...t_432378515076
4 oz bags

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#15 of 27 Old 03-01-2010, 03:50 PM
crl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post
Cool. So maybe those would be good for take-home treats?

Catherine
#16 of 27 Old 03-01-2010, 05:27 PM

My DD had a Peter Pan themed party last year. For one of our activities I filled round black balloons with water and the kids tried to hit the target with "cannon balls".

I also hired my babysitter to come do face painting (I just bought the Klutz kit for her to use). This was a huge hit with the kids.

Our goody gift was a Golden Books "Peter Pan" book, which cost me about $3 per book (on Amazon with the 4 for 3 deal).

I also made balloon swords for the kids - you can find instructional videos on You Tube.

I had to laugh that some of the moms wouldn't go for skulls and cross bones - but pirates - that is, armed robbers and murderers, are okay.

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#17 of 27 Old 03-01-2010, 05:58 PM

Oooh would they be too little for (meaning do you think they would stab themselves or others with) having mini fruit or cheese cube kebobs on those little cocktail swords?

Also, Pirate's Booty is SOOOOOO yummo!

Oh and a desert island snack mix with dried coconut, pineapple tidbits, papaya chunks, chocolate chips and nuts.

#18 of 27 Old 03-01-2010, 06:32 PM

I just had an awesome pirate party for my DS this winter.

Have you seen this page?
hmm...I can't seem to find it. It had ideas for games & favors.

Anyway, here's what we did (based on this page I can no longer locate):
1. make your own pirate hat & patch (print on cardstock)
http://www.leehansen.com/printables/...pirate-hat.htm
2. toilet paper tube spy glass (wrap with black construction paper and a thin strip of gold at one end) the kids loved this!
3. homemade treasure maps (pirate map themed fabric sewn onto felt & then cut with pinking shears to avoid having to hem - I pretty much sewed a bunch of criss-crossing lines on the fabric & cut inbetween) or you could make some out of parchment paper or something
4. plastic rings & mardi-gras beads & plastic coins (from party city)
5. pirate tattoos (from party city) http://www.partycity.com/product/the...scend&page=all
6. a homemade felt "booty" bag to keep all these "treasures" in
7. chocolate coins (on super sale at grocery store b/c they are kosher and it was near hannukah, but it's passover now, so they may be on sale again) in little mesh bags
8. a couple bags of those big glass stones from the dollar store for "jewels" (they come big about the size of a 50 cent piece, not the tiny ones)

We also played pin the treasure on the map (available at party city) and I made a big painting of a friendly seamonster with a hole cut in his mouth and we fed him balls.

It looks like party city has little pirate figures & pencils. You could probably just use brown paper bags for the loot bags, since you have so many kids. Just get some sweet pirate stickers to decorate them up. Also available at party city!

http://www.partycity.com/p2p/searchR...scend&page=all

good luck! I'm sure the kids will love it no matter what. I know mine did!
#19 of 27 Old 03-01-2010, 10:58 PM

We did a pirate party for our son when he turned 4.

For favors I found small wooden treasure chests at a craft store for about .80 each. I had a table with paint, glitter glue, etc. and let everyone decorate. They did that first and by the end of the party they were dry and ready to go home. My son still has his amost 3 years later.

I also bought some super cheap red fabric ($1 per yard) and cut it into foot wide strips to make a pirate sash. When the kids arrived we tied on thier sash and they were good to go. We also still have a few of those floating around in the dress up box.

We hid the favors (I think little bag of candy, but I can't recall) and then had a treasure map and written clues to follow as a group to find the treasure (hidden in the sandbox).

I did give toy swords (.50 each from the dollar store) as favors. Everyone was fine with it - but you never know, some parents may object.

Not part of the party - but one of the best parenting moments I've had: I got a wood treasure chest (maybe 1' x 9" or so) and filled it with costume jewlery bought off ebay. I stained the box, got brass hardware, and a lock for it - and we buried it about 2 feet down in our vegetable garden. I made a large map and stained and greased the burnt the paper to make it look old.

Several weeks later I went to a garage sale down the street and came back with a "treasure map" and key that I'd bought there as a birthday present for my son. When we examined it we realized that it showed our house and our garden! We followed the map and dug up real pirate treasure!

To this day he believes he has real pirate treasure and it is a huge exciting treasure to him. He loves to play with the jewerly and show his friends. It was totally worth the work and effort that went into preparing the suprise.
#20 of 27 Old 03-02-2010, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crl View Post

Catherine
Yes, and this is a great idea!!!! We purchase the small bags from Whole Foods, but I will look on Amazon!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGirl View Post
I did a wax stamp on the invitations when my son had a party like this, it was really fun to do a wax seal.
This is a great idea, but I am making treasure maps scrolls, and placing them in coke bottles with corks. I could seal the corks with wax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teensy View Post
My DD had a Peter Pan themed party last year. For one of our activities I filled round black balloons with water and the kids tried to hit the target with "cannon balls".Too messy. I don't want to have to clean up the ballosns or pay an extra cleaning fee.

I also hired my babysitter to come do face painting (I just bought the Klutz kit for her to use). This was a huge hit with the kids.Ahh! I like this idea. My teen sister is flying in for the party!!!

Our goody gift was a Golden Books "Peter Pan" book, which cost me about $3 per book (on Amazon with the 4 for 3 deal). I like the book idea!

I also made balloon swords for the kids - you can find instructional videos on You Tube.hmmmm.......this might work

I had to laugh that some of the moms wouldn't go for skulls and cross bones - but pirates - that is, armed robbers and murderers, are okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakeber View Post
Oooh would they be too little for (meaning do you think they would stab themselves or others with) having mini fruit or cheese cube kebobs on those little cocktail swords?

Also, Pirate's Booty is SOOOOOO yummo!

Oh and a desert island snack mix with dried coconut, pineapple tidbits, papaya chunks, chocolate chips and nuts.
I can definitely visualize my son and the boys in his class jabbing at one another.

I like the snack mix idea!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMommyNiceNice View Post
I just had an awesome pirate party for my DS this winter.

Have you seen this page?
hmm...I can't seem to find it. It had ideas for games & favors.

Anyway, here's what we did (based on this page I can no longer locate):
3. homemade treasure maps (pirate map themed fabric sewn onto felt & then cut with pinking shears to avoid having to hem - I pretty much sewed a bunch of criss-crossing lines on the fabric & cut inbetween) or you could make some out of parchment paper or something
6. a homemade felt "booty" bag to keep all these "treasures" in
7. chocolate coins (on super sale at grocery store b/c they are kosher and it was near hannukah, but it's passover now, so they may be on sale again) in little mesh bags
8. a couple bags of those big glass stones from the dollar store for "jewels" (they come big about the size of a 50 cent piece, not the tiny ones)
good luck! I'm sure the kids will love it no matter what. I know mine did!
I am going to use these ideas for sure!!1

Quote:
Originally Posted by annekevdbroek View Post
We did a pirate party for our son when he turned 4.

For favors I found small wooden treasure chests at a craft store for about .80 each. I had a table with paint, glitter glue, etc. and let everyone decorate. They did that first and by the end of the party they were dry and ready to go home. My son still has his amost 3 years later. I wanted to do this, but not at the pool......maybe, but I am skeptical.

I also bought some super cheap red fabric ($1 per yard) and cut it into foot wide strips to make a pirate sash. When the kids arrived we tied on thier sash and they were good to go. We also still have a few of those floating around in the dress up box. I like this!!!!

I did give toy swords (.50 each from the dollar store) as favors. Everyone was fine with it - but you never know, some parents may object. some will, some will not, but I already know who will object.

Not part of the party - but one of the best parenting moments I've had: I got a wood treasure chest (maybe 1' x 9" or so) and filled it with costume jewlery bought off ebay. I stained the box, got brass hardware, and a lock for it - and we buried it about 2 feet down in our vegetable garden. I made a large map and stained and greased the burnt the paper to make it look old.

Several weeks later I went to a garage sale down the street and came back with a "treasure map" and key that I'd bought there as a birthday present for my son. When we examined it we realized that it showed our house and our garden! We followed the map and dug up real pirate treasure!

To this day he believes he has real pirate treasure and it is a huge exciting treasure to him. He loves to play with the jewerly and show his friends. It was totally worth the work and effort that went into preparing the suprise.

If he is still in the pirate phase, I will do this when (if) we ever move to a house!!!

+ + =
#21 of 27 Old 03-03-2010, 01:57 PM

For my son's pirate party, the goodies for the goodie bags were tied up in bandanas that were printed with an old map. I found them at Joann's fabric store for about $1.00 each.

Our treasure hunt led to an old trunk filled with gold, silver, red, and green beads (like Mardi Gras beads). The kids loved that! We also blew up round black balloons and they were piled up as cannonballs. I know you can't do that outdoors, but just adding it here anyway in case someone is doing an indoor party. They had SO much fun with that!!

DH did face painting. We did the treasure box decoration, too.

Have fun!
#22 of 27 Old 03-03-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsMother View Post
Yes, and this is a great idea!!!! We purchase the small bags from Whole Foods, but I will look on Amazon!!!!!

This is a great idea, but I am making treasure maps scrolls, and placing them in coke bottles with corks. I could seal the corks with wax.

I can definitely visualize my son and the boys in his class jabbing at one another.

I like the snack mix idea!!!

I am going to use these ideas for sure!!1

If he is still in the pirate phase, I will do this when (if) we ever move to a house!!!
He is 6 1/2 and now taking fencing - so the pirate interest has morphed a bit, but he still likes them.
#23 of 27 Old 03-03-2010, 11:13 PM

We had our pirate party at the beach.

The only things I really see that aren't on your list besides games are that we did temporary tatoos that were a big hit and since it was at the beach, we actually buried the treasure and gave the kids their shovel/rake/strainer sets as loot bag items.

For games we did the long jump off the plank, marking the furthest one, and some parachute games (we pretended the parachute was a pirate ship's sail). Our party was super-small though - family.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#24 of 27 Old 03-05-2010, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueeTheBean View Post
For my son's pirate party, the goodies for the goodie bags were tied up in bandanas that were printed with an old map. I found them at Joann's fabric store for about $1.00 each.

Our treasure hunt led to an old trunk filled with gold, silver, red, and green beads (like Mardi Gras beads). The kids loved that! We also blew up round black balloons and they were piled up as cannonballs. I know you can't do that outdoors, but just adding it here anyway in case someone is doing an indoor party. They had SO much fun with that!!

DH did face painting. We did the treasure box decoration, too.

The cannonball idea is sweet!!!

Have fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by annekevdbroek View Post
He is 6 1/2 and now taking fencing - so the pirate interest has morphed a bit, but he still likes them.
We watched a fencing demonstration at my son's school, and he liked it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuildJenn View Post
We had our pirate party at the beach.

The only things I really see that aren't on your list besides games are that we did temporary tatoos that were a big hit and since it was at the beach, we actually buried the treasure and gave the kids their shovel/rake/strainer sets as loot bag items.

For games we did the long jump off the plank, marking the furthest one, and some parachute games (we pretended the parachute was a pirate ship's sail). Our party was super-small though - family.
Tatoos, like sabers will not go over well with some of the parents. I wish that our beach was closer, and nicer.

+ + =
#25 of 27 Old 03-05-2010, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the lovely line below my name!!!!

This is my first DDDC!!!

+ + =
#26 of 27 Old 03-05-2010, 03:48 PM

Didn't read other posts, so sorry if this is a repeat:

Treasure hunt, with the big prize including goodie bags;
Pirate hats (no skulls) from Oriental Trading Post;
Mom and dad in costume (it was fun! I promise!)
Piniata (can't spell that today, sorry!) with candy or small toys;
Maybe pin the eyepatch on the pirate?

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#27 of 27 Old 03-12-2010, 08:44 PM

I think since you're having the party at a pool, you can keep it pretty simple. Have some fun food (Goldfish crackers as a snack or as a "goody bag?"), a nice cake, one or two activities like a treasure hunt or a craft or a "Pin the Eyepatch on the Pirate," or "Pin the X on the Treasure Map" or something, then let the kids swim and call it good!

We did a small pirate party for my son's 3rd birthday in September. This is what we did:

~Invitations: Pirate wording and font on the invites, then I browned the paper and burned the edges on our stove to age it (you can tea-stain the paper, but burning is much quicker!)
~Decorations: Jolly Roger flags lining the walkway up to our door (bought at Zurcher's party supply for pretty cheap), 3 chests of varying sizes overflowing with "treasures" (a mix of mardi gras beads, my grandma's old costume jewelry, jeweled tiaras, and actual coins from various countries from my coin collection from when I was a kid), a fishing net hanging down, red, white, and black streamers, balloons, etc, and pirate pictures from an oversized coloring book colored by my son On the table we had a black tablecloth and red and white plates/napkins/cups, with a pirate scene in the middle of the table (used our Noah's Ark toy and some little wooden pirates people, some toy sharks, and then decorated the boat with mardi gras beads and rolos to look like barrels and Hershey's Nuggets to look like treasure chests)
~Bandanas and eyepatches in a box by the door, enough for each kid who came to dress as a pirate for the party if they wanted to
~Games: we only had one organized activity, because most of the kids were young. We had a treasure hunt (used photographs on the clues since none of the kids could read and only one had even ever done a treasure hunt before!) that led to the goody bags in a "treasure chest." We also had a cedar plank out on the sidewalk and the kids could balance on it to "walk the plank" if they chose to. Then we had a bin full of sand with a bunch of different coins hidden in it, and several shovels and strainers so the kids could "dig for buried treasure." The kids LOVED this activity, and it is still sitting on our porch almost 6 months later because DS STILL loves digging in it for buried treasure.
~Food: we served fish-n-chips (Trident brand fish sticks from Costco and french fries), carrot sticks, and had water and sprite to drink, plus cranberry juice frozen into ice cubes to make "jewels" for the drinks. For dessert, my son chose cupcakes instead of cake, so we had brownie cupcakes. I frosted them (I meant to dye the frosting blue, but forgot because I had so much other stuff going on, so they were white...still cute), then put half of an Oreo cookie on each cupcake, rounded side down and flat side up to look like a boat, and stuck into the middle (frosting) of the cookies some little jolly roger flag toothpicks I picked up for super cheap at Zurcher's. It's hard to explain, but they looked like little pirate ships. So easy. We had bowls (it was around Halloween so I picked up some skull/crossbones bowls at the dollar store) full of Rolos and Hershey's Nuggets (silver and gold wrappers only) to look like treasures.
~Goody Bags: I bought one leather pirate pouch for each kid. These were surprisingly cheap, I think about $.50 each, and they weren't huge so they only fit a few things (which made me happy!). We filled ours with a couple chocolates (Rolos, Hershey's Nuggets, and Gold Coins), an eyepatch (bought at Zurcher's in a package for SUPER cheap), a tiny plastic telescope (also at Zurcher's for cheap), and a couple mardi gras bead necklace "treasures."

. catherine . yourfireyoursoul.blogspot.com .
mommy to one hilarious little boy [09.2006] and one cuddly baby girl [05.2009]

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page