annoyed, though its probably our fault anyway... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It kind of sounds like a blessing in disguise. If you can leave a load of laundry for a week, you probably don't need those clothes anyway and they were just cluttering up your space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2010, 02:00 PM

Sorry, but after a week, I think it was perfectly reasonable for them to toss the clothes.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeminijad View Post
I also can't imagine not just going alone to pick it up, sketchy or not...
I agree.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:55 PM

communal laundry sucks, I've had things taken after just walking away from the facility when I had started the dryer! Heck I've had my phone stolen from a laundry mat, and the theif told me to my face he didn't take it (sat it on top of the washing machine so I didn't put it in the washer, it was taken as I turned to get clothes out of the basket)

You're not a terrible person, I hate doing lots of laundry it's a PITA, takes up time that could be spent doing a million other things, coin-op costs to darn much, blah. Like others have said though, a week is really not ok.

They have to get their laundry done as well, and if you're holding multiple or the only washer/dryers up with your clothes for a week that's really hard on another family. It's in your complex's best interest to get the laundry out of there for the sake of all the renters. There have been tummy bugs that we ended up sleeping on towels because someone left their things in the washer. We've run out of pants for my potty learning son and been stuck at home because someone left their things in the wash.

I still sympathize that life gets us busy and it can take a while to do things. I made it a goal that one day a week I'd get everything done and out of there as quickly as possible so that I didn't have to sweat it the next day, or the next, or the next. It really stinks that everything was just thrown out.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

Old 03-02-2010, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeminijad View Post

I also can't imagine not just going alone to pick it up, sketchy or not...
I can't, either, where we live, but we're lucky. Maybe OP isn't.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), and an overachieving mother (1930). Married to DH since 1986.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:49 PM

Most communal laundry areas that I have used had some sort of shelf where clothes that were left in dryers ended up. I occasionally left clothes for an hour or so, and never actually had them end up there. But anything more than that and I'd expect them to be on the shelf. After a week I'd be hopeful that they were on the shelf, but mostly just because our landlords wouldn't have bothered to throw them away- I don't think they ever went down there. But I wouldn't have been surprised if they were gone, either.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Old 03-02-2010, 05:46 PM

Sorry that happened! But it isn't your landlords responsibility to tell you not to leave your laundry there for a week. To me, it seems like common sense not to leave things there longer than necessary. Laundry gets stolen. That would be my main concern.

~*Heather*~
Wife to J 9/00 Mama to K 12/05
Old 03-02-2010, 06:12 PM

that sucks, but after more than a few hours, i would know there was no guarantee my stuff would still be there. a week? in your landlord's position, i would think nobody was coming back for the clothes.

just curious, do you ever leave home without dh? because it sounds like this is very close by . . . i know it's a little ot, but that statement did make me wonder, if you can't go there, can you go anywhere?
Old 03-02-2010, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amatullah0 View Post
it was a first time experience for me.... i've never had to deal with community laundry before, i didn't know if this was a normal thing. oh, yeah, we're terrible, because we HAVE left it this long before and it never has gotten thrown out most things we do take an incredibly long time to finish.

and i really am upset most at DH for this, then at myself and the landlord for me not being aware this was going to happen....
You've done it before. Maybe the landlord was tired of it or other tenants complained so he thought this would teach you a lesson.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
Old 03-02-2010, 09:05 PM

Bolding mine...

Quote:
it was a first time experience for me.... i've never had to deal with community laundry before, i didn't know if this was a normal thing. oh, yeah, we're terrible, because we HAVE left it this long before and it never has gotten thrown out most things we do take an incredibly long time to finish.

and i really am upset most at DH for this, then at myself and the landlord for me not being aware this was going to happen....
Wait, so you really truly needed the landlord to tell you that in a community laundry room someone else might just want to use that dryer during the week and it wasn't your personal hamper? Really? What makes it ok for you to monopolize one dryer for an ENTIRE WEEK for your personal storage? I just cannot wrap my brain around this type of thinking.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:10 PM

I agree with all who have said it was your dh's fault....and agree that if you use the laundry to be sure a few of his favorites are in each load.
If you guys still have enough clothes to last you for awhile is it possible to plan a trip to a public laundromat every 2 weeks or so. That way you can just take it all with you, get it done all at once, and sit there and wait for it all to finish. In most places the total time would be a little over an hour, and since there are many machines that's a total for all the laundry.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post
Bolding mine...

Wait, so you really truly needed the landlord to tell you that in a community laundry room someone else might just want to use that dryer during the week and it wasn't your personal hamper? Really? What makes it ok for you to monopolize one dryer for an ENTIRE WEEK for your personal storage? I just cannot wrap my brain around this type of thinking.
This confuses me-- in most of the community laundry rooms I've used, any laundry left in the dryer got tossed onto the top of the dryer or onto the shelf if someone else wanted to use the dryer. I did it with others' laundry, and they did it with mine-- it was always the accepted thing. Sure, if you left stuff there for a long time, it might get stolen or thrown out, but it didn't stop anyone else from using the dryer.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammaarah View Post
I think you need to get more assertive with your DH. My DH didn't like me doing laundry alone in our old building, but tired or not, he'd go get that laundry when it was done. It's not OK to leave. I am sorry you lost your stuff but I'd be upset with DH, not the apt manager.

I think the real problem is assertiveness and follow-through. When you do the laundry, DO the laundry. Finish it. If you DH does the laundry, then he needs to be willing to finish it, and if he's not, then you need to do it. I kind of recall a similar situation where you had a box or something to throw out and were waiting for you DH to take it out - was that you? This just made me think of that situation - a similar kind of waiting around for someone else to do something that you could possibly do.

Anyway, is your apartment complex actually unsafe (with incidents that have happened to you or other tenants)? Or is it more just that the laundry room is kind of creepy and dingy? If it's the latter, I'd suggest just sucking it up and dragging your DS along with you and doing the laundry yourself, if that would work within your marriage.

I'm sorry about your clothes!
Old 03-03-2010, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

yep, its the later. I have never heard of anything bad happening around here, its one of the cheaper places to live though, and seemingly less safe than other areas, and while I wouldn't go out at dark around here, its just peachy in the daytime. I have no problem going there, DH would just rather I not. I think he feels like its his job, but he doesnt do it. I really think i'm going to start taking over the laundry. I have no problem doing the laundry with ds on my back, and actually, its better for me that way -- the laundry actually gets folded when I fold it out of the dryer(as opposed to when DH brings it home in the evening, and i get too tired to fold it, and then i get too busy or unwilling to do it for the next few days.

funny thing about the box, we did finally throw it out, but not before i finally decided to finish the desk and i found the missing parts taped discreetly into the box so you couldnt see them(and our house is still clean from when i cleaned it in that thread!)

hijab.gif Childbirth Educating and Doula-ing wife toflowersforyou.gif , and mama to hammer.gif6/09. Story of my life:buddamomimg1.pngduh.gif knit.gifscared.gifsewmachine.gifdishes.gifcd.giftea6.gifread.gifsleepytime.gif

Old 03-03-2010, 12:29 AM

If your DH doesn't want you to go to the laundry room maybe you could get a wonderwash. No more sketchy laundry room.

http://www.compactappliance.com/WOND...efault,pd.html
Old 03-03-2010, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

haha, i'm gonna have to show that to DH.

actually, it surprised me most because there was a bag full of someone else's clothes in there for a week or 2, I guess I just assumed that, at most, our clothes would just get dumped out... ah well...

hijab.gif Childbirth Educating and Doula-ing wife toflowersforyou.gif , and mama to hammer.gif6/09. Story of my life:buddamomimg1.pngduh.gif knit.gifscared.gifsewmachine.gifdishes.gifcd.giftea6.gifread.gifsleepytime.gif

Old 03-03-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
This confuses me-- in most of the community laundry rooms I've used, any laundry left in the dryer got tossed onto the top of the dryer or onto the shelf if someone else wanted to use the dryer. I did it with others' laundry, and they did it with mine-- it was always the accepted thing. Sure, if you left stuff there for a long time, it might get stolen or thrown out, but it didn't stop anyone else from using the dryer.
im used to seeing clothes stick around a few weeks in an apt laundry area... there's always clothes in corners. it's not the same as a laundromat cause you don't sit down there, you have to go and come back. at least the ones i've seen... they're always messy with clothes- no one would throw something out unless it'd been like a halfyear. i guess you have to know the vibe of your place, tho.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:40 AM

I am more surprised that they didn't get stolen.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

Old 03-03-2010, 02:16 AM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganC View Post
It wasn't great of them to throw it away, maybe they could have kept it in a bag or something for a little while longer, but a week is a really long time to leave clothes in a public laundromat. It may even have been somebody else who took the clothes. Laundromats have their own set of etiquette rules, and people can get really peeved when somebody is taking too long to collect their clothes. Sorry!!

My laundry got stolen after just leaving it an extra hour in the public dryer.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 03-03-2010, 12:01 PM

I'm guessing you and your dh have learned a lesson the hard way.

By the way, I used the WonderWash about once a week when I lived in a large apt complex. It made life easier, that's for sure.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 03-03-2010, 12:51 PM

This really sounds like something I would do (leaving laundry for a long time) I know it is probably not right, but it is very hard to do laundry in a communal place. Just saying I sympathize.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrez View Post
If your DH doesn't want you to go to the laundry room maybe you could get a wonderwash. No more sketchy laundry room.

http://www.compactappliance.com/WOND...efault,pd.html
That's really cool.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
yep, its the later. I have never heard of anything bad happening around here, its one of the cheaper places to live though, and seemingly less safe than other areas, and while I wouldn't go out at dark around here, its just peachy in the daytime. I have no problem going there, DH would just rather I not. I think he feels like its his job, but he doesnt do it. I really think i'm going to start taking over the laundry. I have no problem doing the laundry with ds on my back, and actually, its better for me that way -- the laundry actually gets folded when I fold it out of the dryer(as opposed to when DH brings it home in the evening, and i get too tired to fold it, and then i get too busy or unwilling to do it for the next few days.
Your DH is going to have to get over it. If there's nothing actually dangerous about going to the laundry room, and especially if he's going to be such a slacker about picking up the clothes, then it's weird for him to be all controlling about it. You're the other adult in the family! I'd be majorly annoyed if my DH tried to control where I could and couldn't go, as though I'm not a capable, responsible grown-up. And I'd have a huge problem if our clothes were in a dryer somewhere and DH said, "You're not allowed to go pick them up, but I'm too tired to do it myself so we'll just leave them there."

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 03-04-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplesugar View Post
This really sounds like something I would do (leaving laundry for a long time) I know it is probably not right, but it is very hard to do laundry in a communal place. Just saying I sympathize.
I've done laundry in a communal place all my adult life and never found it hard in any way. Actually, I find it easier because I can do four or five loads at once and get it all washed, dried, folded and over with, rather than running a load every day or so.

It's incredibly thoughtless to leave clothes in a washer or dryer in a communal laundry for more than about 1/2 hour after they are done. To expect the clothes to be there a week later is ludicrous.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apricot View Post
It totally sucks, but it's not going to happen again. You don't have enough clothes left to leave some for a week.
I love that positive spin on things!
Old 03-04-2010, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

oh well.... they were mostly baby clothes that don't fit anymore, and you're right, now we don't have too many, but sad, because there are some items that I really miss
Awww, that's too bad, I'm sorry.

User Tag List