What do houses cost in your area?? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 138 Old 03-03-2004, 02:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we moved to the panhandle of florida in oct. 2002. we were debating between the 3 bd/2 ba 1700 sq ft ranch for 159,000, with almost NO backyard, and the 4 bd/ 2 ba 2400 sq ft 2 story for 178,000, with a huge backyard.

we bought the smaller............

now, we CAN'T afford a 4 bd in this area. the prices have literally skyrocketed since then. our neighbors house just sold for 215,000 and it is the same floor plan as ours. the 4 bd in our development went for 245,000........ these homes sold within matters of hours and without for sale signs.

my dad bought a house in the burbs of chicago when i was 6 for 300,000. he sold it when i was 26 for 1.8 million. i think real estate has just gone crazy!!!!!!!!! everywhere..............
#62 of 138 Old 03-03-2004, 02:46 AM

Urban dwellers here.

The warehouse down the block from us ... which up until last year had an enormous replica of the Statue of Liberty on its roof ... was just turned into condominium apartments.

The one-bedroom apartments start at $1.5 million. Or some such.

The penthouse supposedly sold for $13.5 million.

For an apartment.

Amazing, ain't it.

If they really wanted to throw their money away like that, they could've just given it to me.

Just in case anyone was thinking of moving to the Big Apple ...
bite the Big Apple ... don't mind the maggots ...
#63 of 138 Old 03-03-2004, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for all of your responses.

Journey, your town sounds like it is wonderful. But I have to say I had a friend that lived in upstate New York I think the town was called London. The area was georgeous. On the drive up there I went though winding roads and saw the most amazing thunder and lightening show ever! But I think I know why there is such a high depression/drug rate. It rains all of the time!!! It must have rained 6 out of 7 days that I was there. A couple of years later I went through there on my way to Canada and guess what?...rained the whole time. It's too bad because other than I would really consider going there

Ahh Ms. Sisko, now you've got us talking about Florida, AGAIN. I love being hot all of the time and now that we're going through the end of the winter blahs it sounds so nice!! It's only an hour or so plane ride from here so we could still see our parents often if we went there. Also, my husband works in HVAC (heating and air conditioning) and I'm pretty sure he'd have no problem finding work there....

Now, if we only had the guts to make such a big move.....
#64 of 138 Old 03-03-2004, 04:52 AM

Sorry - I didn't get a chance to read all the posts...but this topic has me so frustrated I just had to post...if just to vent a little. We live in a nice, middle-of-the-road not super famous area of los angeles. There is a lovely little housing area near us...small 2-bedroom 1 bath type homes with a little yard front and back. Maybe a 1 car garage...all built 1920-40's. Granted, the neighborhood has gentrified a bit (nice trees etc.) and has mostly been taken care of - but its just a normal little neighborhood. When we moved into our apartment the average house price was around 250k. We thought it was way out of our price range and wondered who the &*%@# these people were that lived in them and what they did for a living. Now - a mere 5 1/2 yrs later those same houses are going for at least 450K. Its enough to make you weep.

AND - my husband doesn't want to move cause he thinks his income will go down and put us in the same category in another state. I disagree...but there you have it. It is unbelieveable to me...but land and single family homes are at a premium in SoCal. We've thought about moving east(inland empire). Seems like homes out there are quite a bit less. But so far we are weighing quality of life (little to no commute) against buying a home. I think we'll be in this little apartment for quite a while yet.

Arrgggg!

J
#65 of 138 Old 03-03-2004, 10:49 AM

Feeling the need to add to my previous post ...

One of the good things about NYC/Manhattan in particular is that you'll have these multimillionaire condos right next door to housing projects. Granted, some neighborhoods are weighted more to one side of the spectrum than the other, but everyone's kind of smushed together ...
#66 of 138 Old 03-03-2004, 11:02 AM

I live in a part of southern CA where housing is still relatively reasonable. There's a whole range of prices, but we have approx 3000 sf and bought the house for around 230K, and the values have rocketed. We have a lot of perks-mountain views, HOA w/1500 acres of nature trails & parks, all types of recreation. We're within walking distance of the elementary school.

DH was mowing the grass this weekend-a real estate agent pulled up and asked if we were interested in selling-he had a client willing to pay $410K. I don't think we could get that much, but word is that our homes are now going for mid-300's. Oh, property taxes are about 4 grand a year.

We used to live in NYC and Putnam County NY-I don't even want to think what this house would cost there.
#67 of 138 Old 03-03-2004, 11:21 AM

Around here, houses that used to be small summer cottages (so 1-2 bedrooms, very small kitchens, bathrroms, and living areas), and are in need of repairs, start at about $200,000.

I once saw a house with a caving in roof advertised for $230,000.

Most houses are well over $300,000, and frequently closer to $400, 000.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#68 of 138 Old 03-03-2004, 11:22 AM

Don't have time to read through everything, so my area may have been done, but....

In my neighborhood (DC 'burb on the Virginia side with very good schools), the norm is 450K-500K for an updated 1950s era 3-bedroom on about 1/4 acre. You could probably find a single family home (though most likely on the other side of town) between 300K and 400K, but it would be a fixer-upper. New construction will suck you dry. There's a new house one street over, 4 bedrooms, 3.5 bathrooms, finished basement, almost no yard going for 1.4 million.

And if the price of the house alone doesn't kill you, the outrageous property taxes most certainly will.

I'm pretty sure I'll never be buying a house here.
#69 of 138 Old 03-03-2004, 11:27 AM

We currently live in a north Dallas suburb and we built our house in 1999. 2200 sq ft, great neighborhood, $138,000 which runs us $1500 a month. We hate the cookie cutter houses though. And our taxes are now $3800.

We're getting ready to move to Colorado, around Monument or Springs and we're looking at houses around $240,000 that were built in 1970!! ACK! We don't mind an older house, I think they have more character, and the land is sooooo worth it, around 1-2 acres for each. Taxes are around $750!!! Holy cow!
#70 of 138 Old 03-03-2004, 02:07 PM

I live in Brooklyn, NY and we are getting ready to put our 2 BR co-op apr on the market. We bought it in 1998 for $117k and are putting it on the market for $450k

I feel almost guilty, but that's what the market is like these days here and the money will let us buy a house in CT outright (no mortgage) and allow me to stay home with DS! YEAH!!! I just don't know how anyone can afford to live in the city these days!
#71 of 138 Old 03-03-2004, 02:17 PM

That's fabulous, Andrea. I dream of being mortgage-free. We're saving and chipping away at it. Good for you!

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#72 of 138 Old 03-03-2004, 02:18 PM

Um...holy cow!! I only read the first page and was astounded! If we ever want to own a house we'll have to move to where some of you folks are. In the town where I live ( 4 hours north of San Francisco ) you can't find anything even worth living in for under $200,000.00 and even then it's a fixer. Heck...you can't get raw land for under $100,000.000.

"I got 99 problems, but the truth ain't one." - Stephen Colbert
#73 of 138 Old 03-03-2004, 02:28 PM

We live in the Capital District area of NY. You can buy small houses in the suburbs for around $100K. You could get a fixer-upper house in the city for less. We have a 4 br, 2 1/2 bath house in a very good school district that I think we could probably get around $190K for now. I love it here.

It seems like all the new construction is for very large houses that sell for over $250K. I'm not sure where all these wealthy people are coming from!

I don't know how (or why) people would chose to live in places like So. Cal.
#74 of 138 Old 03-03-2004, 02:32 PM
Banned

Northwest suburbs of DC...in a Muffy and Biff style colonial, built in the 60's and in medium-ish repair....$450K,

Brand new condos - comparable
Brand new single family homes...$550K, easily.

It's insane here.
#75 of 138 Old 03-03-2004, 02:59 PM

i live in socal, inland, housing prices have jumped here too. we couldn't afford to buy the house we have. we paid 187k for it almost 3 years ago. today it's worth 330k. (our taxes are based on purchase price and are about $3k a year) we are both temped to cash out and live mortgage free somewhere else, but worry that we could never return to socal if we wanted to.
what keeps us here is a set of grandparents and the ability to garden year-round and still get to snow or the ocean within an hour's drive. what makes us want to leave is traffic, 100 degree dry-as-a-bone summers, unbridled development, mall culture and the general socio-political tone. (most of socal is very conservative and we are not.)
fwiw,
warmly,
susan
eta: our house is 4/2 1700 sf on about 8000 sf lot with (an absolute miracle in socal) a creek and an acre of oaks and grasslands outside our back gate. it really is a slice of heaven in that way. the kids catch frogs, pick blackberries and swing on a rope swing. i think we would have moved already if we didn't have this little haven to step into...)
#76 of 138 Old 03-07-2004, 09:55 AM

I don't know how (or why) people would chose to live in places like So. Cal.

Umm, I've lived in NY and feel the same way! :LOL

For those who hate the cold, So Cal is wonderful.
#77 of 138 Old 03-07-2004, 10:04 AM

I live in Central Bucks Co PA & my Lordy!!! The price of a house!!
I liv in a little house with one bathroom that literally needs to be gutted & redone & it was recently appraised at a little over 300,000!!!
Most people here pay about a half million. I live here casue I grew up here & our family is here. We barely make it!
#78 of 138 Old 03-07-2004, 11:11 AM

I an in a small suburb in Chicgaoland and the house prices in this neighborhood are $225-250,000. This is not one of the nicer suburbs, it is very safe though. Actually, I love this suburb b/c it is like a small town but is right outside the city. People have lived here their entire lives. One women I know lives in the house she grew up in and she is in her 70's. This is not unusual! No one ever leaves and everyone knows everyone else. The village jobs, like director of public works, are handed down from father to son. It is like Mayberry in the middle of a huge metropolis. We would love to settle down here (buy a house), but we cannot afford to yet.
BTW-250,000 is cheap for Chicagoland.

Journey-I grew up in Buffalo and my family had a cabin right on Chatauqua lake. I loved it there. I still dream of going back (parents sold the cabin). It was always so peaceful and happy.

'(sigh) I need to convince DH we need to move to upstate NY!

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#79 of 138 Old 03-07-2004, 11:30 AM

To expensive for us! Dh will have to make some major raises before we can get a house unfortunately.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#80 of 138 Old 03-07-2004, 12:02 PM

Coming in late to this thread. All I can do is echo an earlier poster's phrase, "Holy CRAP!!!"

I'm looking at the housing prices listed in other parts of the country and I'm shocked. We live just north of San Francisco. Median housing price is . . . .(drumroll, please) $674,000!!!

These numbers just bounce off me because none of it seems real.
#81 of 138 Old 03-07-2004, 12:44 PM

The housing market where I live has gone wild. The only new building that is going on is for townhouses which start in the low 100,000's and houses that start at 1/2 million. Because of this all existing home prices have gone through the roof. And they don't last long on the market. We have lost out on several homes because we didn't move fast enough. The last house just was on the market one day and it sold before we had a chance to go through it. So the appraisals on all of these houses is also way out of control. Hopefully we find something soon because we have run out of space where we are currently renting.
#82 of 138 Old 03-07-2004, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We're in the mountains of AZ, and houses here are about 100k for a new 3/2; if you want slightly older, in the 80's and 90's; if you want a mobile home on land (what we have) you can get a 4/2 on an acre for about 99K. Prices are going up, though. We got our place, a 3/2 mobile home on 1/2acre in the pine trees that back to city forest, for 78K back in August; now, similar houses a few blocks over on tiny lots are going for 90K! Lucky we bought when we did.

Arduinna, my family in SoCal always tells me we can move back there, because salaries are higher. They can't do math, lol! Yes, dh would make more, about 50K instead of 30K. But, that 20K won't make us able to afford a 400K house! We can barely afford our 78K house (though we do have a 15 year as opposed to a 30 year mortgage). It does make me sad that we can't ever move back; unless we go way up north to Shasta County- we can afford it there

Kristi

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#83 of 138 Old 03-07-2004, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
In my area, 2B,1B crackerbox homes sell for $350,000.00. NOt even worth it. Most deeds have titles that read like a petition.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#84 of 138 Old 03-07-2004, 01:40 PM

Just checking out the real estate section in today's paper. A house down the street: Remodeled older home, 1 bed, 1 bath, approx. 800 sq.ft on 50X100 lot. $507,000. There was also a thrashed 3/2 old house needing lots of work, but "room in attic to expand" $729,000. And, umm, we just expanded our own attic. To do so in this area, to meet earthquake standards and pay the outrageous fees to the city, etc., cost about $85k.
#85 of 138 Old 03-07-2004, 02:57 PM

Here in Western Arkansas, the cookie cutter houses 3bed/2bath on about 1/4 acre are running about 100K.

But I don't really know for sure - we were extremely blessed when it came for our home purchase here.

We went from renting a 3 bed/2bath no yard in the city for $350/month to buying 2 acres in the country on a dead end road, complete with utilities and mobile home for only $178/month.

Raw land runs about 5K per acre. We attempted a raw land buy at first, but with renting and all city utilities, we couldn't afford to build anything - our total land payment for both the rent house and the raw land was about $500 per month.

So when we lucked out and got this land we currently live on (a friend through a friend through a friend deal) we immediatly snatched it up, although both DH and I were not too happy about living in a mobile home here in tornado alley.

Now here's something that will make your jaw drop. We took the savings of about $300 per month and started saving it to build our own house. We did 90% of it ourselves. Dh is an ex-construction worker and current electrician, so that helped!

We used concrete for the outer walls and the one inner room to be used as storage and a safe room (tornadoes, ya know). Rebar in all the blocks, and poured concrete for more support. Regular wooden roof (Yeah, the roof will probably go during a tornado! However, the safe room has a very secure concrete rebar ceiling). All other inner walls are sheet rocked. Within a year of do it ourselves, we moved in to a very bare home. However, paying as we went, our home is completely paid for and we only have the $178 land payment still. I still have no doors on many rooms and eventually we are going to brick the outside instead of the concrete look. And now for the real jaw dropper - we have only spent $20,000-25,000. It would have been about 3K less, but we had to get a concrete truck out here to pour the concrete for us and there was about a week's worth of lost wages when DH took off to do the roof. Oh yeah, the house itself is one story, 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, 2 car garage, eat in kitchen, and approximately 2400 sq. ft.

I'll admit, it has NOT been easy and we are still working on the interior every day. A lot of my walls are still plain sheet rock, and like I said I have no doors on many rooms. The 2nd bath for the kiddos is not in use yet, I have a piece of plywood for a huge doorway in my kitchen where the sliding glass door will eventually go. One bedroom is used for storage and is unfinished as well, since the youngest two are still sharing a room. The back door just had cheaply stacked concrete blocks for steps, as we plan to add a deck there in a few years. Our appliciances are older than dirt (taken out from the mobile home). But it is so worth it to us to not have the outrageous mortgage - and our home owner's insurance is pretty low, as we are very tornado safe.
#86 of 138 Old 03-07-2004, 03:06 PM

mommymushbrain, that is awesome!
#87 of 138 Old 03-07-2004, 03:51 PM

That is VERY awesome! I would love to live mortgage free. It would save us $1200/month. I'm not willing to move away for that to happen though. Not yet, anyway. We have about $60,000. equity in our home right now and it'll only go up from here. My dh has a wonderful job and it's only 4 miles away from here. We are very blessed by that.
#88 of 138 Old 03-07-2004, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brayg
My dh has a wonderful job and it's only 4 miles away from here. We are very blessed by that.
Wahhh... see my DH works an hour and 15 minutes away!!!
#89 of 138 Old 03-07-2004, 04:27 PM

This is amazing. Having lived in So. CA my entire life, I can't believe you could ever buy a decent house for *less* than $150!

We bought our house about 7 years ago in a nice neighborhood for $200. Decent yard, safe area. The house is only 1200sf, two bed and one tiny bath. We just sold it last week for $475. And it was on the market for 6 days.

Like andreac, we feel guilty and shocked. A young woman bought the house - she and her fiance want a dog and a family with a safe neighborhood. But the equity we will get will pay our mortgage on our new house so that both DH and I will be home with our young girls (and maybe a new baby in another year or two) for about five years. So it's worth it to us.

Here's the real shocker. Our new house is 3800sf, five beds, 3.5 bath, right next to the state forest - everything we've wanted. We paid $390. More than triple what we have now, and we paid *less* for it.

We're definitely not coming back to So CA. No more smog, unbearable dry heat, or snobby, materialistic people!
#90 of 138 Old 03-07-2004, 05:32 PM

That is amazing, Alis. I'm glad the appreciation gave you options to move to a dream location!

The prices are so high everywere in our region that even though we have a lot of equity in our house (and a mortgage yet), everything else has also appreciated at an equal or greater rate, so we really can't ever afford to move in this area!

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page