Mamas with Phobias? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 54 Old 03-17-2010, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post
Snakes - I don't like thinking about snakes, looking at snakes, seeing snakes on tv. Seeing one on the road can make me nearly break into tears of fear. I try very hard to control myself around DS as we live in an area where snakes are common.
I'm phobic about snakes, too. My kids aren't at all . . . they'll touch them and everything. I freak out, and have nightmares if I think or talk about them much.

We're going on an overnight at an aquarium soon, for Girl Scouts, and I asked to troop leader to see if she could secure us a snake-free spot to sleep. It's irrational, but I will be awake ALL night -- or have awful nightmares -- if I am sleeping in a room with a snake. It's so silly, I can laugh at myself over it, but I really would rather NOT see them.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 54 Old 03-17-2010, 02:50 PM

Apiphobia (Fear of bees ... or in my case anything that stings or bites. I've been stung several times so I know how it feels and I am no less scared.)
Heights and/or falling from heights
Sharks (Quite possibly the dumbest one I have since I live in the Midwest and my shark-to-human interaction is nil. Yet when I see pictures of them I get skeeved out.)
Death (As in the inevitable - not like something will suddenly happen. The fear only pops up right before I fall asleep.)
Escalators (Having to get on one is such a process for me.)

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#33 of 54 Old 03-19-2010, 04:57 PM

I'm kind of in a different spot b/c I'm in the process of trying to avoid developing a phobia. My friend's dogs chased me down last fall, and though they didn't get me, they came close enough that I was screaming out of my mind until my friend called them off. I've never had an animal phobia, though I am afraid of sharks and oceans, but that's more of a general fear.

Anyway, since the dog incident, I've been fine around dogs (well, I had to work my way up to "fine," but I'm pretty much there), but if they're near my son, who's 14 mos, I get very anxious. I just keep imagining the dog lunging at him. And all the dogs we've been around since last fall are certified-friendly-around-kids, but that doesn't matter.

And what's worse is having that saying "they can smell fear" spinning around my head every time I'm near a dog, since I have to work so hard to control my fear. I'm so pissed because I've always loved animals.

I should probably be doing something else right now.
#34 of 54 Old 03-19-2010, 07:17 PM

Spiders is huge for me. And heights. And the dark. And enclosed spaces (and I have to have an MRI Thursday morning). And storms. And bad guys (and I can't even define what a bad guy is) And strangers. And tooooooonnnnnnnssssss of other things. I have pretty severe anxiety and I think the phobias are fed by it.

jen: caring auntie to a bunch of little (and some not so little anymore) wild things. Teacher to my whackadoodle 3s (and sometimes infants)
#35 of 54 Old 03-19-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
I have a success story! I had a debilitating driving phobia. I could ride in cars, I got my drivers license, but DRIVING gave me full-fledged panic attacks. I went hungry because I was afraid to drive to the store for food. At its worst, I would have a panic attack just thinking about approaching the driver's side of the car, even if I knew I wasn't going to get in.

I tried desensitization therapy. I tried progressive muscle relaxation. I went to 4 different counselors and did everything they told me to do. Nothing worked.

Out of pure desperation, I turned to hypnotherapy. And sure-shooting, it worked. I immediately noticed a difference: I definitely wasn't OVER it, but there was a slight difference. 3 months later I drove 8 hours to move to another state. I still had to push myself, but I could do it. Today I am 100%, completely over this phobia, and if you knew what it was like before, you'd never believe it.

Honestly, it's so embarassing to tell that story but I can't tell you how much better it has made my life. Nothing, NOTHING should have that kind of power over you.

Wow! You give me hope, I have a driving phobia and its embarrasing. I know how to drive but cannot do it...let the license lapse and haven't driven in years. If I still lived in Chicago it would not be an issue but I live in Maine, I also have a pretty busy schedule as the director of a non-profit. Thankfully my office is in walking distance of my house and my dh works from home so in most instances he drives me to meetings. But at almost 40 its embarrasing moreso because my 18yo not only has a license but his own car and here is his Mama who cannot drive because she freaks out.

I have been toying with the idea of hypnosis since its at the point that this phobia affects my life. I have a 4 yo and I would love to hop in the car and just go. She is starting school this fall and I know she will make friends and want playdates but I can't drive.

Reading your post just made me feel like I am not alone, thank you for sharing.

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#36 of 54 Old 03-19-2010, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Spiders. Big, small, doesn't matter. Shortly after I moved into my first apartment, I had to call my dad to come over and kill a little spider on the ceiling for me. HATE those things.

I'm working on overcoming my driving phobia. I didn't drive at all for several years, and although the thought of having to drive still gives me pretty bad anxiety, I'm not having full-blown panic attacks anymore. I was able to drive to my midwife's office in the city this last pregnancy, which was huge for me. I'm trying to talk myself into driving DP to work the day before Easter so I can have the car and take the kids to the town Easter egg hunt . . . it's so embarrassing that this is even an issue!

I also have an intense fear of fire - specifically, burning to death. I'm afraid of gas stoves, ever since I was 5 and was playing near the stove and accidentally bumped one of the knobs, and my mom, presumably to teach me a lesson, told me that I might have caused the gas to leak and that the oven might then explode. She sent me to my room to get a favorite toy, and then my sister and I had to stand by the kitchen door for a few minutes in case everything blew up. Yeah, my mom's a little nuts. I was terrified of vacuum cleaners until my teen years for the same reason - my mom had me convinced if I wasn't careful, the vacuum would overheat and explode.

A, wife to R, mom to 3 boys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and welcoming a baby girl in May 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#37 of 54 Old 03-19-2010, 08:42 PM

I have an intense fear of snakes. I have had it since I was a teenager. I can't look at them or think about them. My fear is much less than it use to be partly because of having kids. I am set on not passing on my fears to my kids. I remember the first time we watched Diego and there was a snake and I just had to be ok with it. yes, it's a cartoon, but it was a good start! Eventually there were animal picture books, and I just gradually started looking at the pictures, so that I could read with my ds. I still don't like to look at real snakes on TV and I don't go into the snake house at the zoo. I still need some work! Fortunately, snakes aren't something I have to deal with very often, but if my fear was something like spiders, where there's a real possibility of coming in contact with them in my home, I think I would vigorously seek out help to overcome my fear.

Has anyone here ever tried EFT for their phobias? It is Emotional Freedom Technique. A friend of ours is an expert in it and swears by it. It's also known as "tapping." I did it once and I really think it lessened my fear a bit. Maybe from a 9 to a 7. Here's a great website: www.emofree.com You can also find video demonstrations on youtube.

Heather-- I'm a <>< SAHM of two fabulous boys 8/05 and 2/07
#38 of 54 Old 03-19-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPsSweetie View Post
I just posted about this in my other thread.
I have emetephobia, fear of people.... vomiting.... breathe Typing it, thinking it, hearing it, etc... it all kills me. I have to leave my house if my kids or dh are sick. In Dec they were sick for 2 weeks and I moved out. NO ONE understands this phobia, and most people think I am horrible for it. I would give ANYTHING to have a different phobia, one that didn't affect my family and everything else in my life.... It is so depressing to be this way. And I just read on facebook about a few families in our town with the stomach bug, so now I am in panic mode.
Oh, and my mom is on chemo, so there we go again!
I have this too! If I think someone near me is going to be sick, I get dizzy and my heart races. If someone has been sick around me, like on a bus that I am on, (which ALWAYS HAPPENS), I panic. If I hear someone puking I have to put my fingers in my ears and hold my breath and get away. so recently when my husband was sick in the middle of the night, I had to get out of there. If I get the flu, seasick or drunk/hung over, I won't throw up even though I know it will make it better- I'll fight it. Thankfully my DD has not vomited yet. I was ok with her spitup but when it becomes food...I guess I'll have to just get over it like I've just gotten over everything else.
#39 of 54 Old 03-19-2010, 08:53 PM

I remembered another one, probably because it's one I try really hard not to think about because it's inevitable. Airplanes. I'm just so convinced I'm on the next one that will explode, lose an engine, run out of fuel, hit another plane...it's horrible.

I was always nervous about flying, because I watched Final Destination 1 and Donnie Darko right before my first flight (I was 13)...but then, when I was 17 and on a leg from Denver to Salt Lake City...the plane hit massive turbulence and was throwing people around the cabin. It literally turned sideways. I thought I was going to die a horrible, fiery death right then and there, alone, crashing into the Rockies. It was bad enough that the captain got on the announcer, did a formal apology, and told us that in 17,000 hours of flying he'd never experienced anything like that before.

I got over it for the flight home, I made it, but then 6 months later I had a panic attack during another take-off and was crying and couldn't stop. And it's been that way ever since. And DH is no help, since he's one of those people who's been conditioned to fall asleep before the plane leaves the gate.
#40 of 54 Old 03-19-2010, 09:12 PM

I have a driving phobia.. its not just driving its also riding. Nothing has worked to cure it. My mother has the same phobia.

When I was a little girl I was playing in my mothers front yard and witnessed a horrible accident. a convertible slammed into the back of a semi that was stopped at a light. It was very bad, the man driving died.. He was decapitated and part of his head actually landed in my mothers yard.

I am good driving in town, and on city streets, I cannot go in the car when it is snowing and I never go on the highway unless I have to. Its a panic attack everytime.

Its not a fear of dying.. Its my mind telling me I AM going to die. I don't hope I won't die. I think I will no matter what. Its worse when my kids are in the car.

I have tried therapy, hypnosis .. medications.. nothing works.

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.
#41 of 54 Old 03-19-2010, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Worms, zombies, small dogs, and white dogs. No joke. I totally have panic attacks near any of them. Except zombies, obviously. I watched Night of the Living Dead as a young child and still can't see or watch anything zombie related without getting freaked out and having nightmares for months. I had ppd after dd#1 and used to stay up worried they'd crawl up from my floor boards and I'd plan my escape.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#42 of 54 Old 03-19-2010, 10:21 PM

Spiders although I am getting better with this. I no longer freeze being unable to stop looking for fear it will come after me. I scream when I see them and I swear they come looking for me. I often see them in my sleep. Now I don't care for most bugs, but spiders totally freak me out and I am always on the look out for them. In fact, I always look at my dishes when I take them out of the cupboard because I am certain there is going to be a big spider lurking in them one of these days. Never have found one, but it could happen!

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#43 of 54 Old 03-19-2010, 11:03 PM

I have bad phobias of bees and driving.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#44 of 54 Old 03-20-2010, 07:16 AM

Spiders, but I am getting better.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#45 of 54 Old 03-20-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
Worms, zombies, small dogs, and white dogs. No joke. I totally have panic attacks near any of them. Except zombies, obviously. I watched Night of the Living Dead as a young child and still can't see or watch anything zombie related without getting freaked out and having nightmares for months. I had ppd after dd#1 and used to stay up worried they'd crawl up from my floor boards and I'd plan my escape.
Ohgawd I forgot, I'm terrified of zombies!
#46 of 54 Old 03-20-2010, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Spiders. I'm getting accidental therapy, through desensitization, though. DD1 is homelearning, and her single biggest fascination in life is spiders. So, I spend quite a lot of time reading lavishly illustrated books about spiders...their life cycles, mating habits, eating habits (ugh), etc. I honestly can't tell if I'm better or worse than I used to be!

Social phobia. I'm managing to force myself through this a little, but...I have a the public speaking thing in spades, and I'm petrified of meeting strangers or mixing at a party with people I don't know. I'm a weird hybrid of honestly not giving a crap what people think of me, and being petrified of making a fool of myself. I don't know why. Attending any kind of class or group (eg. my choir, a homelearning meetup, etc.) for the first time is incredibly difficult.

I'm mildly afraid of fire, but not quite to the point of it being a phobia.

I don't know if I'd call it a true phobia, but I've definitely developed a severe aversion to medical care of all kinds. It does affect my life, but I can overcome it if I feel the need to, so...?

I'm sure there are others, but those are the big ones.

ETA: Ugh. The talk of spiders reminds me that it's almost time for the "paratroopers". I wonder if they'll come back this year. They had me afraid to come downstairs last year.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#47 of 54 Old 03-20-2010, 09:20 PM

Flying. I was totally incapable of getting into an airplane for 8 years and now I again have to fly quite a lot. The part which is most difficult for me is not takeoff or landing, but cruise. I'm certain the plane will be shattered by overspeed or hit by another plane while we're cruising at 30 thousand feet.

I've never had anything happen while flying and I've been on some 35 flights, so the fear has no base in real-life experience. On the other hand, when someone tells me 'plane crashes are rare, nobody knows anyone who has been in a crash' I have to correct them, since a couple I knew died on Air France 447 and a friend of mine barely survived crash a few years ago - after 3.5 years, she is still going through all kinds of therapies which hopefully can get her to walk again some day.

I have to take 2 eight-hour plane trips in May and I'm already losing sleep over it.
#48 of 54 Old 03-20-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InMediasRes View Post
Oh geez. You are totally not alone, mamas.

I am trypanophobic (fear of hypodermic needles). More specifically, I am vaso-vagal trypanophobic, which means that I experience a sharp rise in blood pressure before contact, followed by a sharp drop in blood pressure after insertion. I usually get lightheaded and dizzy, sweaty, panicked, feeling like I need to run away.

It causes very real problems for me in that I can't make rational decisions about my medical care. I think my first labor got so horrifically stalled out because they made me (I also have a fear of authority) get an IV and blood draw. I procrastinate on routine tests as long as possible. In an emergency situation, I would have a hard time deciding to get adequate care if needles were involved.

I still have phantom pain from a traumatic blood draw.

I have also been this way as long as I can remember. I get dizzy just thinking about needles. Nurses and doctors don't get it. They think it's about the pain, but it's not. I broke my arm twice and didn't cry. I had two babies with hours and hours of labor and no pain medication. I'm not afraid of pain. But the idea of that foreign thing being in my body makes me totally crazy.

The funny thing is that, when my kids need anything done with needles, mama bear totally takes over and it's like I don't have the phobia at all. I can be totally calm and even watch when it comes to my kids. It's so totally bizarre.

I wonder how much is genetic predisposition to these things and how much is learned. No one in my family has phobias, but I am also prone to anxiety, and I know that phobias are anxiety related. I was told as a child that I was "just being a wuss" that "it doesn't really hurt" and when my parents took me for vaxes, they never warned me that that's where we were going. We would just show up at a doctor and the lady would say "it's just like a little bee sting". Uh huh. I'd rather have ten babies in a row than have my blood drawn
I have this.
I did not know it had a name.

And no, people don't get it. Nurses and doctors most of all. Even midwives.
I cannot get a hep lock "just in case". Don't they understand? They may as well be beating me over the head with a bat while I'm trying to labour. It cannot happen. If I ever require a c-section, I will have to be sedated and put out because I would be hysterical for the spinal/IV. Yes, I'd miss the birth of my own child and make my partner miss it too (can't be in the OR if mom under general) so that I could avoid needles in my veins.

4 kids under 10
#49 of 54 Old 03-20-2010, 10:22 PM

I absolutely hate calling people I sort of know. I can call my close friends and family without any problem and I can make business calls with the best of them, but calling someone I don't know well makes me sick to my stomach.

I also am afraid of doctors not believing me.

But, I am the queen of public speaking.
#50 of 54 Old 03-21-2010, 12:34 AM

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Ohgawd I forgot, I'm terrified of zombies!
Naw, zombies isn't a phobia. A phobia is defined as "a persistent, irrational fear". Zombies and raptors are both extremely legitimate fears, because zombies and raptors are FREAKING SCARY. You're a fool if you don't fear them, I say. What happens to the guy who scoffs at zombies? He gets his brains eaten out of his head, is what happens. Don't believe raptors still exist? That's what they want you to think. The attack comes from the left.

And that's all I have to say on the subject.

Arizona backwards is still Arizona! It's a palomino!
#51 of 54 Old 03-21-2010, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
Naw, zombies isn't a phobia. A phobia is defined as "a persistent, irrational fear". Zombies and raptors are both extremely legitimate fears, because zombies and raptors are FREAKING SCARY. You're a fool if you don't fear them, I say. What happens to the guy who scoffs at zombies? He gets his brains eaten out of his head, is what happens. Don't believe raptors still exist? That's what they want you to think. The attack comes from the left.

And that's all I have to say on the subject.
#52 of 54 Old 03-21-2010, 01:48 AM

Not a Mama, so I didn't answer earlier. But here are mine:

1. Escalators. Ugh. I saw a TV show once when I was a child and this kid got their hood somehow caught in one and they died. I have been scared of them ever since. I get lightheaded just seeing one. My MIL told me about a child in their family who was killed on a moving sidewalk. I have never seen one of those before, but I would probably be scared of those too!

2. Broken glass. I will spare you the story behind it. But if someone breaks a glass in my presence, I faint.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#53 of 54 Old 03-21-2010, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAK's Mom View Post
I absolutely hate calling people I sort of know. I can call my close friends and family without any problem and I can make business calls with the best of them, but calling someone I don't know well makes me sick to my stomach.
I'm a bit like this, as well...but it's more calling businesses, for my own personal use, that triggers it. I get a bit freaked calling for pizza, for instance - especially the first time at a new place.

Quote:
I also am afraid of doctors not believing me.
I'm more afraid of not believing doctors.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#54 of 54 Old 03-21-2010, 02:42 AM

I am not sure if this is a phobia or just a weird quirk I have.

But I have the worst aversion to ordering my own food, especially at fast food places..

don't take offense to this if you have an accent. But I always have this huge fear that the person who takes my order might not understand me or might have a thick accent and question me over and over again.. silly huh?

I usually ask dh to order for me, if I am out with family, I will actually pretend I have to go to the bathroom, then tell someone what I want and have them order for me.

Part of it is, that I am super quiet at talking. I talk very quietly and never speak loud so I don't want the person asking me to repeat myself over and over.

Ok now I feel silly

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page