If You Loan Someone Your Car.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-18-2010, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...do you write some sort of document so that if they're pulled over the cops know that they have permission to drive your car? My neighbor has almost exclusive use of our car until sometime next month, so they're driving it a lot. The windshield is very cracked, and DH commented "what if they're pulled over for it?" which I never thought of. So, what do I do? Besides the obvious, getting the windshield fixed, which we will do as soon as we can find a day that neither of us needs the car.

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#2 of 14 Old 03-18-2010, 02:06 PM

If they are driving it, they are the one that will get the ticket. It's the chance you take when you drive someones car that needs a repair. A letter or note isn;'t going to change a thing.
#3 of 14 Old 03-18-2010, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Yeah, I think they assume that risk when they borrow your car. It's nice of you to let your neighbors borrow your car -- I'm always reluctant to do so because of all the potential legal messes that could arise.

When I was a teen, my car was technically in my mom's name, and it was stolen one night, and when I called the police to report "my" car stolen, they were pretty harsh and suspicious with me, giving me grief over the fact that the car wasn't in my name -- it was almost like they thought I had something to do with the theft. So ever since then I've felt weird about driving other people's cars and letting them drive mine.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#4 of 14 Old 03-18-2010, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not too worried about a repair order, they understand that risk when they borrowed the car. And that will likely be fixed on Monday anyway. I'm just worried that if they are pulled over for whatever reason, the license and registration won't match and I don't want cops to assume that the car is stolen. Especially if my neighbors are the victims of racial profiling, I don't want them thrown in jail or something! LOL

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#5 of 14 Old 03-18-2010, 03:12 PM

How would the cops know a note was real anyway? I wouldn't worry about it, as long as your car hasn't been reported stolen.
#6 of 14 Old 03-18-2010, 03:25 PM

In the car business they use BCAs (Borrowed Car Agreements) when they loan out cars. I don't know if anything exists for private parties but you could Google. Maybe there's a form you could download and notarize, for peace of mind.

Shellie
Declutter - 789/2010 (counting the stuff on my porch waiting for a Freecycler to pick it up! )
#7 of 14 Old 03-18-2010, 03:28 PM

I drive my partner's car all the time. I have a different name and we've had different addresses on our licenses. Never had a problem when pulled over in those instances. They don't tend to assume the car is stolen.

However, I'd be cautious about insurance if your neighbour is driving your car as the usual driver, unless of course you have your neighbour insured as the principal driver. And even then...

Here, if someone else drives your car, they're covered, but the accident will follow the vehicle and policy if the driver of the car does not have his own insurance policy. Basically, it has to be documented as a fault somewhere, and someone penalized for it, so you can't 'get off' if that person didn't have a policy to be dinged with the at fault--your vehicle and your policy would be dinged.

But insurance does vary wildly region to region, so this may or may not be true where you live.

4 kids under 10
#8 of 14 Old 03-18-2010, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguine_speed View Post
I drive my partner's car all the time. I have a different name and we've had different addresses on our licenses. Never had a problem when pulled over in those instances. They don't tend to assume the car is stolen.
You know, I didn't think of that. Our addresses are only a couple numbers apart as we live in the same townhouse building, so it's likely that their "story" would be believed Or else they'd be the dumbest thieves in history to steal a neighbors car and use it to drop their kid off at school and grocery shop and park it in their driveway LOL! I'd just hate for something to happen to them. I'm a bit over-protective of neighbors and friends

I'm not really worried about insurance and stuff, but I'm naive/stupid like that. I've known them for 4 years, and been stuck behind them on the road as they drove the speed limit LOL. I'll call my insurance company and see what they suggest or require.

#9 of 14 Old 03-18-2010, 04:06 PM

Honestly, the cops are not even going to ask.
#10 of 14 Old 03-18-2010, 05:39 PM

The cops wouldn't assume the car is stolen unless you report it stolen.

My last name isn't the sam as my husband's & I've never had a problem.
#11 of 14 Old 03-18-2010, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We all have a copy of the car registration in our wallet. If we loan the car to someone, we give them a copy. Someone that steals a car isn't likely to have a copy of the car's registration and I'm pretty sure it's required for the driver to have it, anyway.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#12 of 14 Old 03-18-2010, 05:57 PM

I recently got pulled over at 2am for driving like an idiot (I was on my way to a birth and got lost in the dark and made about 100 turns off and onto a road trying to figure out where the heck I was) DH and I have different last names and my license had our old address on it. Cop never said a word about the ID and Registration not matching. But he did ask me if I was drunk and then gave me great directions!

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#13 of 14 Old 03-18-2010, 07:41 PM

(I am a traffic prosecutor, among other things. This is not legal advice, but just in my observation...)

We get plenty of tickets for equipment violations and non-registration and so forth for people driving non-owned vehicles. This is very common and the police aren't going to assume the car is stolen (unless, of course, it has been reported stolen).

If you're driving the car, you get the ticket. There isn't much I can do about it as a prosecutor--if you bring in evidence the car's been fixed or registered, I can adjust your ticket accordingly, but it's still your ticket. (You would have to try to recoup any fines from the owner privately.)

Usually, when it's friends/neighbors, this isn't a problem--you work it out. When it is a problem is when, say, the boyfriend is driving the girlfriend's truck, then they break up and the girlfriend refuses to budge and saddles the boyfriend with the citations and fines. Again, not much I can do about it, but it is unfair.

ProtoLawyer (the now-actual lawyer, this isn't legal advice,  please don't take legal advice from some anonymous yahoo on the Internet)
Spouse (the political geek) * Stepdaughter (the artist) * and introducing...the Baby (um, he's a baby? He likes shiny things).
#14 of 14 Old 03-19-2010, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
If they are driving it, they are the one that will get the ticket. It's the chance you take when you drive someones car that needs a repair. A letter or note isn;'t going to change a thing.
If you get a red light ticket then it goes to the owner though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page