REALLY ticked with Yahoo/AT&T right now (privacy issue) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-20-2010, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I'm sure someone will point out that this little feature was mentioned in a EUA or something but this is something that needs to be opt'd into to and not out of!

I have AT&T DSL, its one of the 2 high speed options in my area and its half the cost of the other option. When I use the webmail function (which I use a lot) I have to use yahoo mail. Thats fine, I can deal with that. I often look at the news tab in my email and do on occasion comment on a story or what ever. Nothing bad but sometimes I might say something that as an anon person commenting on that specific article I felt fine sharing (no trolling or anything, just not something I'd want known at large). Turns out yahoo tracks everything you do on every yahoo/att site and then shares that info with anyone who has your email addy or you send an email to. I noticed that on occasion I would get updates on something someone posted like a news feed or something but it just didn't register what was going on until this morning. Then I find out that its also sharing my name, gender, age and location and I can not figure out how to tell it not to share that info (emailed yahoo about that) I logged into my yahoo account settings and they even had my address which I did not share, until I got AT&T I never had more then a user name and my email addy on yahoo to use the groups. To find the amount of info publicly accessible really ticks me off! I can only guess since AT&T and yahoo are now in bed together they shared info to each other.

I am just ticked about this, its one thing if I say "Hi! My name (first and last) is X and I live in XX town, I'm female and 34 years old." Its quite another for my ISP to share that info! I went though stuff and opted out of as much as I could but I still can't figure out how to turn off sharing my location/age/name. Online I expect only a username to show up when posting and not my real name!

Seriously?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 03-20-2010, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know exactly what you're talking about. But didn't "get" it until I read it here. How do I opt out?? It just dawned on me as I was reading what you wrote That is so wrong.
#3 of 8 Old 03-20-2010, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
I know exactly what you're talking about. But didn't "get" it until I read it here. How do I opt out?? It just dawned on me as I was reading what you wrote That is so wrong.
Under prefs you can opt out of a lot of stuff (there's got to be over 100 items to opt out of). I emailed them over the name/age/location thing and raised cane about my displeasure over it. They've already escalated it to higher dept to take care of it. I'd hate to have to switch ISP's over this I dumped another ISP a few years ago over a privacy issue, I do not like ISP's publishing my personal info period.

Seriously?
#4 of 8 Old 03-21-2010, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Yikes -- thanks for the heads-up! I just spent some time removing all identifiers from my Yahoo profiles.

I have one account that I use for people I don't know IRL (forums, ordering stuff online, etc.), and I just checked and saw that my real name was attached and visible (actually, and more embarrassingly, it was my go-to fake name, and I realized I've used that account with someone I do know IRL and she probably thinks I'm nuts now! ).

Signed,
First Last

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#5 of 8 Old 04-23-2010, 03:26 PM

Bumping this to say that it looks like Yahoo has changed their ways. They now allow you to keep your profile completely hidden.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#6 of 8 Old 04-23-2010, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonPie View Post
Bumping this to say that it looks like Yahoo has changed their ways. They now allow you to keep your profile completely hidden.
How? I had to jump though a crazy amount of hoops to do it.

Seriously?
#7 of 8 Old 04-23-2010, 03:44 PM

How would one even check their profile? I can't seem to find anything...

Lola , loving my DH, Mama to & we &
#8 of 8 Old 04-23-2010, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

ok, I found what you were talking about, that still wont stop feeds from people who already added you or that are on your email address book. If they know your email they can still get a feed on you and what your doing/commenting on. It just won't allow people to search for you or see your profile by clicking on your name when you comment on something. If you want to stop everything and have a truly private profile you have to go though multiple areas.

Seriously?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page