What do people have against the Census? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-02-2010, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmamacita View Post
I have an issue with the question regarding race.
yeah, and you're not alone.. I posted this article in Multicultural Families in the thread about the census and race question:
http://www.yesmagazine.org/people-po...racial-society
basically, it talks about how "other" races (latinos, middle easterners, and other "brown" folks) are perhaps being purposefully miscounted by not creating a specific box for them to check on these forms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
It's especially annoying when you fill out the long, involved form, and then move just after April 1 into a new apartment. And a very rude man from the census comes to the new apartment and demands my information, and basically calls me a liar in my own home when I explain that we've _just_ moved in, the apartment was empty on April 1, and I even mailed in the D-MN long form!
you should have called his supervisor!
when I was being trained to do just that- check in with the people who hadn't responded- we were told that if someone isn't being compliant, we need to just get out of there. no being rude. ever. you (as the worker) just go along with whatever they (the censee) say.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2010, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post

when I was being trained to do just that- check in with the people who hadn't responded- we were told that if someone isn't being compliant, we need to just get out of there. no being rude. ever. you (as the worker) just go along with whatever they (the censee) say.
Even if you looked him straight in the face and said that your name was Jane Doe and you were born in 1902, all he could've said was "ok."

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
Old 04-03-2010, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessy1019 View Post

I'm not thrilled about the WASTE, though. A letter to warn you that it's coming, followed by the actual census, followed by at least one post card so far reminding us to fill it out? So unnecessary.

It is not a waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawningmama View Post
There was a guy from the Commerce Department on The Daily Show a couple of weeks ago. He said each letter (the before and after) increases response rate by about 4-6%. And each 1% increase rate saves about $85million in spending to send workers out to the addresses without response. Those are impressive numbers. So, yeah, for those of us who would fill it out anyway, those before and after letters seem silly, wasteful and redundant. But, according to that dude, they work!
Those letters save about $425 million. Far more than it costs to send them I really hope this information helps!
Old 04-03-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post
I should have, but it was a decade ago and I hadn't yet learned to be assertive and effective at confrontations. Amazing what a decade can do.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I should have, but it was a decade ago and I hadn't yet learned to be assertive and effective at confrontations. Amazing what a decade can do.
Isn't it funny? I look back on things and the way I handled them at 18, 25 and damn, those people were lucky. Today I would have torn them up one side and down the other.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:50 AM

mailed out ours today!

Erika SO to *S*: and Aunt to *A*(10), *Z*(9), and *D*(8)

User Tag List