FED UP with DIAL-UP!!! Please Help!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 03-25-2010, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone live in the country and have high speed internet? I've looked into getting a laptop air card(runs off cell towers) and there is a 5 GB cap...which translates to downloading 1 movie, or a hand full of songs....Satellite seems overpriced, and I'm not sure I want ANOTHER dish on my house. I can not get cable or DSL, since they won't run them out this far
I currently have AOL...I am ready to just give up and be internet free...except I would miss MDC

What's a girl to do?

P.S. my DH would love to game with his xbox online, but the bounce back time is too long

Please Help!!! I'm desperate!!!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=802589268Blissed out Mama of 4 Peace.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 03-25-2010, 07:30 PM

The sizes might be applicable to lossless but lossless is not the typical bit rate used for downloads. For typical downloaded files, an average movie is between 1-2 gigs and music, well the average album is maybe 200 MB.

You can't get high speed from your phone company?
#3 of 16 Old 03-25-2010, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Not as of right now...Verizon doesn't offer it here...I've been trying to get it here for 9 years...I'm on a waiting list

#4 of 16 Old 03-25-2010, 07:38 PM

Do you not have a local phone company? Or is verizon the only one available there?

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#5 of 16 Old 03-25-2010, 07:44 PM

The only other way I know of getting it is to install a tower on your property. The upside is that you can then rent out the bandwidth and make your money back. I don't know all the details, but I knew someone living in the middle of nowhere who had done it.

And satellite has a cap also. It gets really expensive when you go over your bandwidth allotment for the month.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#6 of 16 Old 03-25-2010, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
Do you not have a local phone company? Or is verizon the only one available there?
Verizon is it. It's a pretty rural area...the worst part is that 5 miles down the road, they have cable AND dsl.

#7 of 16 Old 03-25-2010, 08:27 PM

I've been hearing good things about "Clear" We tried to get it at our house but could only get reception out on our porch.

It runs off the cell towers or something like it and they offer phone, internet, etc.
It might be worth a try if they offer it in your area.

Alisha - proud mom of four!
#8 of 16 Old 03-25-2010, 08:41 PM

For my parents for Christmas we got them set up with Satellite internet as they only had dial-up with no other options available to them.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#9 of 16 Old 03-25-2010, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisha View Post
I've been hearing good things about "Clear" We tried to get it at our house but could only get reception out on our porch.

It runs off the cell towers or something like it and they offer phone, internet, etc.
It might be worth a try if they offer it in your area.
Just signed up for an alert for when it gets to my area. Hopefully, it won't take too long *sigh*

#10 of 16 Old 03-26-2010, 12:59 AM
MCR

We ended up going back to the local family owned land line company and buying their package, Phone and DSL for $80 a month and that gives us 200 minutes anywhere in US and Canada from the land line. It's fairly new for our area but it's the best we can get. Some friends here went with comcast TV and internet that works well too but we don't want more TV than the basic we already have.
AT&T stops their service about a 1/2 mile from us and one house over from my friend,and refused to hook her up. It would be so much cheaper for DSL if we lived in the city, but Oh well, we live the quiet.
#11 of 16 Old 03-26-2010, 01:29 AM

We have satellite (HughesNet) as that is our only option here besides dial-up (no cell service for 20-30 minutes around). I have to have it for work as I am field-based and work from home when I'm not out visiting customers.

The other satellite provider (WildBlue) was not an option as their installer refused to install a dish here (said there were too many trees).

Our plan costs $65/month.

We have a bandwidth cap of 425 MB data download per 24 hours (there is a 3-hour grace period in the middle of the night). This is called the FAP (Fair Access Policy). If you exceed that then you are punished with ~1 kbps for the next 24 hours. You learn quickly not to exceed it. We have a little utility that monitors our usage (but it doesn't work very well). You can also use download schedulers so you can have downloads happen during the grace period.

Basically the cap means that we don't watch any videos or play games. Pictures are ok but we try to avoid picture-heavy sites (especially from people who forget to reduce the resolution before they post). VOIP would suck up too much bandwidth. Web-surfing all day long without videos or gaming is pretty much fine. I set Outlook to only download headers automatically so I can choose which emails to download (some colleagues seem to think it's no big deal to routinely send out 20-30 MB attachments).

I can do some webexes for work, an hour a day is fine but I wouldn't do it for much longer. The performance is not great because of the latency but it is tolerable. The security protocols in VPN do not play well with the satellite technology and it is basically unusable. Dial-up is better than satellite for VPN. Uploads are also very slow.

Anytime I need to do serious uploading or downloading, webexes where performance is critical, or use the VPN, I need to ride/drive to somewhere I can use my aircard or Peet's free wireless (30-minutes one-way is the closest).

The performance is better during the day than in the evenings. Bad weather makes it very flaky. Multiple people using it definitely slows it down.

Example evening performance: http://www.speedtest.net/result/656048915.png

Example daytime (weekday) performance: http://www.speedtest.net/result/649808545.png

If cable or DSL suddenly came available, we'd probably fork over the $400 early termination fee to quit the satellite (it's that frustrating). However, I will happily keep it so as not to have to depend on dial-up.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#12 of 16 Old 03-26-2010, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

^^^^That is why I won't order satellite. It sounds like you are in the same boat as us, just on the opposite side of the country. I just want to be able to download itunes or watch some youtube videos like the rest of the world, ya know. I drive to a free wifi spot when I do the shopping about once a week, and take my laptop and/or my ipod touch to get updates or download music. I LOVE living in the country very much, I just thought there would be internet here by now I think I am on every waiting list for every provider that could possibly available.

I am thinking of getting an iphone and "jailbreaking" it...the guy in the AT&T store says it works for him.....(I would feel guilty though, since it is not how it's intended to work) Stupid conscience

#13 of 16 Old 03-26-2010, 10:37 AM

We are stuck on dial-up too and it sucks. I tried 3 different types of "air cards", two had no service in our house at all and the third had excellent service - if I set the laptop on the toilet tank Thankfully I was able to try before putting any money out for them.

I finally got a good cell phone that actually gets service in our house and I do most of my daily e-mail and facebook stuff on that ($7/mo for unlimited data) and now my latest ploy is to get a little usb bluetooth adaptor for the laptop and hook into the cell service. I have no idea if it would be any faster, a friend is going to try it on hers too.

Otherwise satellite is $300 for setup and $65/mo. I cannot justify that since our internet is strictly for entertainment.

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#14 of 16 Old 03-26-2010, 10:41 AM

We have Qwest. Most of the other internet providers in this area won't work for us because of where we live (which is also why our cell service is spotty at home). We have phone and internet bundled and pay $65 a month. Dh can play xbox live and we can download anything.
#15 of 16 Old 03-26-2010, 10:57 AM

We just moved out to the country this past week and are once again stuck with dial-up. I just had dsl with Charter and I LOVED it... now this is so slow and hard to get used to again, LOL. We are signed up for dsl through our phone company if they can ever get the cables installed out here.
#16 of 16 Old 03-26-2010, 12:40 PM
MCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPJJJ View Post
We just moved out to the country this past week and are once again stuck with dial-up. I just had dsl with Charter and I LOVED it... now this is so slow and hard to get used to again, LOL. We are signed up for dsl through our phone company if they can ever get the cables installed out here.
That was our problem when we were stuck with dial up, AT&T kept getting closer with the cables, then they'd stop for a few months, talk about dangling a carrot, they'd even send us cards saying DSL for $20 a month. Then they stopped 1/2 mile away and haven't come back since and that was 3 years ago.
Thank goodness our local guys had the wisdom to run cable themselves for all the work at home country folk who kept calling and pestering them.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page