Poll: Do you clean your house / apt before going on vacation? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Do you clean your house / apt before going on vacation?
Yes, I always or usually do. 161 81.73%
Yes, I sometimes or rarely do. 27 13.71%
No, I don't. 7 3.55%
Other 2 1.02%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 80 Old 04-03-2010, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love to come home to a clean house but it doesn't always work out.

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#62 of 80 Old 04-03-2010, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm starting to learn when I click on the polls in this forum that I should automatically pick the grossest option.

No, I have never done this. We usually manage to take out the trash before leaving in case there's something in it that may go rotten. I learned that lesson the hard way (stupid banana peels...). When I do make the effort to clean the house, I want to be around to enjoy it, not leave and then come back only to immediately gross it up again with dirty laundry and suitcase junk that needs to be put away.

And I still haven't washed our sheets since that last poll.....

9/2011 items decluttered
#63 of 80 Old 04-04-2010, 01:36 AM

I picked option #2 sometimes/rarely. We always get the kitchen cleaned up, dishwasher started, trash out, toilets flushed. While in theory, I'd like everything clean before a trip, it never happens. Even before I had kids. Now with kids, there's just no way.
#64 of 80 Old 04-04-2010, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

We leave first thing Wed morning; Easter is at our house tomorrow (indoor/outdoor egg hunt is videotaped to share with faraway relatives); all but one room is clean now. That one room is partially clean, but my desk is a MESS. All I have left before we leave is to keep up with laundry/dishes/cat box (regular daily tasks) and dust the house and clean my desk and vacuum the family office. (Packing is 65% completed, too. All major reservations are made. We may book two minor items in the next couple days.)

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#65 of 80 Old 04-04-2010, 03:23 AM
Banned

do you find that picking up before hand also helps you itemize what you want and need for your trip?

i find that i plan that well in advance--what to pack--but as i am cleaning, it sort of solidifies into "this is what i need, that i don't"
#66 of 80 Old 04-04-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
Yep -- those suitcases, jackets, tote bags, etc. all over the hallway floor do have a way of sullying the house right away, huh?

I actually sometimes feel like this when guests arrive at my house too. I have a "thing" about liking the dining table to be free of clutter, and every time my MIL visits, after I've cleaned the house, set out fresh flowers, etc., she plops a bunch of stuff on the dining table. My clean, pretty, clutter-free dining table!!!

In an effort to not be an over-controlling host, I do stifle the urge to put the stuff somewhere else until dinner's ready.
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

My guests are usually great - most of them come in and claim a room so they take their stuff directly there.

BUT my mother walks in and dumps on my perfectly cleaned off table. Drives me insane.

She has started putting it on the counter instead. Sometimes. But then it is on my perfectly cleaned off counter...
#67 of 80 Old 04-04-2010, 11:50 AM
MJB

Yes, I always do, and hate coming home to a messy house! I also unpack right away (and make my husband's bags go in his office, since he takes weeks to unpack) when we get home.
The kids and I are going on vacation Tuesday-Sunday this week and I'm worried the house will be filthy when we get home because my husband will be here messing it up (he has a conference out of town Thurs-Sunday, but two days is enough for him to trash the place). I'm going to give stern warnings about coming home to the house as I left it.
#68 of 80 Old 04-04-2010, 12:12 PM

Well, I answered sometimes, but then read the responses (some of them).

A lot of people are saying they don't like to come home to a MESSY house. I consider messy and dirty two different things, and cleaning is for dirty.

My house is never messy (well, for more than an hour), so when we leave for a trip it is naturally neat and tidy, everything put away, beds made, no piles or anything (except the darn mail pile that has a life of its own!!!) Toys all put away, etc. That is the normal state of our house.

Actually scrubbing the bathrooms and such would happen before a trip IF it hadn't been done in the last 5 days or so. If I clean the whole house on Tuesday and we are planning to leave Saturday morning, I wouldn't clean again on Friday unless something was really in need.
#69 of 80 Old 04-04-2010, 05:18 PM

I like to clean before we go away so that when I get home I can relax.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#70 of 80 Old 04-04-2010, 05:22 PM

I put yes I always do. I hate coming home tired from a vacation with lots of unpacking and laundry to do on top of a dirty house.

Plus it is always so nice to walk into a clean house!

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#71 of 80 Old 04-05-2010, 12:14 AM

I like to come home to a clean house - so I do clean before I go. Now that we have a maid who comes weekly I pay her to come when we are away. She does 'extra' stuff if we are away more than a week (e.g. empty and clean out the pantry closet). I also feel that I should pay her for the weeks that I am away - she depends on me for income and I depend on her for peace of mind.
#72 of 80 Old 04-05-2010, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
do you find that picking up before hand also helps you itemize what you want and need for your trip?

i find that i plan that well in advance--what to pack--but as i am cleaning, it sort of solidifies into "this is what i need, that i don't"
Sometimes, yes. Like today, I was cleaning the family office and when I was straightening up the "office supplies" cabinet, I had my hands on our entire pile of notepads/notebooks and that reminded me that I like to take notes at the end of each day while on vacation (or special trip). I took the time right then and there to think about which notebook would be best for this specific vacation and took it to my non-clothing collection spot for the vacation.

For the most part, however, I make a bigger mess during my planning and then clean up. I literally try on each and every outfit I think I want to take and clothes are all over our bedroom for a few hours. I narrow it down to the basics that way and clean it all up and have a special spot for the definite clothing items and a separate spot for the maybe clothing items (usually just a few items). When I physically pack them, then I decide which of those "maybe" items are going and which aren't (usually determined by weather forecasts and space availability). I make the big mess far enough in advance that it is easy to clean up long before we leave. (In this case, I did all that on Saturday and we leave on Wednesday. Our bedroom is dusted and vacuumed and tidy, except for the piles of things we are taking and the "maybe" piles.)

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#73 of 80 Old 04-05-2010, 04:51 PM

Yes! I love coming home to a clean home, and then I just do the "vacation laundry" the next day which is then easier. I also have a meal in the freezer to do "take out" when we get back and reheat.

I have heard a lot of people say they need a vacation from their vacation when they get back. I am like this sometimes so the last thing I might want to do is clean the bathrooms.

We sometimes plan vacations where we leave on Monday so we have all weekend to get the house is top shape, have our laundry done for when we get home, pay bills and eat up the food or give it away to neighbors. Then we come home on Friday or Saturday and still have that weekend to enjoy before getting back into our life on Monday.

We also do this in case our flights get delayed or we get home in the middle of the night. Then we can recover and just be fine in a few days.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#74 of 80 Old 04-05-2010, 04:59 PM

Wow, I am impressed. I still haven't unpacked from my vacation a month ago. I just unpack the toiletries.

[QUOTE=Amys1st;15264764]Yes! I love coming home to a clean home, and then I just do the "vacation laundry" the next day which is then easier. I also have a meal in the freezer to do "take out" when we get back and reheat.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#75 of 80 Old 04-05-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceomalley View Post
Yes, always.

I don't like having a messy house whether I'm coming home from work or vacation but my true reasons for cleaning like crazy before we leave to go away are a bit more morbid. The thought of dying in a car accident if my house was messy ... my poor family, having just been through that - then having to clean up my messy house? That the thought that motivates me most.
This was always my reasoning too .
My husband says I act as though we are never coming back; taking care of things that can definitely wait.

Strangely, my father did pass away while my parents were out of town. My parents always had the house spotless when gone (usually when home too). Their neighbors had to go into the house to pickup items to ship to my mom. They all commented on how organized her closets and drawers were. My mother is always very concerned about opinions of others and w/h been horrified if things were out of place.
#76 of 80 Old 04-05-2010, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
Yes! I love coming home to a clean home, and then I just do the "vacation laundry" the next day which is then easier. I also have a meal in the freezer to do "take out" when we get back and reheat.
This is brilliant!!!

#77 of 80 Old 04-05-2010, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *bejeweled* View Post
Wow, I am impressed. I still haven't unpacked from my vacation a month ago. I just unpack the toiletries.
Ironically, I always have toiletries packed in a plastic box (tall, boxy Sterilite) with a checklist for camping and regular vacation. I go through it to make sure all is well as I am packing. I leave the items in that container when traveling by car, but transfer items to a smaller travel bag when traveling by plane or train (and move the 3-1-1 stuff to the one quart bag in the box for carry-on on planes). When I get home, everything gets dumped into the plastic box and it goes back on the shelf in the closet.

I unpack the clothes immediately upon arrival home. Clean clothes (if any) get put away right away and the dirty ones go into the sorter. If feasible, we start a load of laundry right away.

If anything lingers, it is the "other" stuff -- nonclothes and nontoiletries, such as entertainment items -- that sits in a pile on the floor (before kitty) or some horizontal surface for a few days.

We have a small house and suitcases are simply too bulky to remain out of the closet for more than a day.

#78 of 80 Old 04-13-2010, 02:33 AM

Yes! I just love coming home to a clean in order home.

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#79 of 80 Old 04-13-2010, 03:05 PM

Yep. Mostly due to not wanting to return home to a disaster (way to put a damper on returning home) but I admit there's that prideful part of me that worries what if someone has to come into the house to check on something or of course the worst thing happens and everyone's going through my house talking about what a wreck it is and how dirty it is. Crazy mommy stuff I guess.
#80 of 80 Old 04-14-2010, 03:41 PM

Yes! And as soon as I get home too.

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page