LBD: do you have one in your closet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 59 Old 04-06-2010, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The ubiquitous Little Black Dress. The one thing fashion gurus say is a must-have. I admit I don't, especially since I hardly wear formal clothes since kids and SAHMing. But I'm curious to know if other moms have one? Do you get to wear it often(ish)? Is it, in fact, black? Care to describe it?

I sure wish sometimes that I had more occasions that called for dressing up (more so when my legs are freshly waxed )
#2 of 59 Old 04-06-2010, 08:42 PM
Banned

Nope, I don't have one. I tend to prefer skirts but I don't even have a black one of those. Heck, if I did buy a little black dress then I'd have to go out and buy black shoes to go with it.
#3 of 59 Old 04-06-2010, 08:44 PM

Nope, I hate dressing up and so I dread when the need for something like that arises. I don't actually have any dress clothes that fit me right now.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#4 of 59 Old 04-06-2010, 08:45 PM

Nope. I probably should, though.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#5 of 59 Old 04-06-2010, 08:55 PM

I have a gray dress with a black lace overlay and a black satin sash -- I guess that's sort of LBD-ish. Solid black isn't that flattering to my coloring, so if I'm going to buy a fancy dress (which doesn't come up that often, sadly), it's usually in a different color.
#6 of 59 Old 04-06-2010, 08:58 PM

I did before I started having kids and now I haven't bothered to buy a new one because my chest doesn't stay the same size for very long. I'll replace it when I've completed my family.
#7 of 59 Old 04-06-2010, 09:03 PM

I have one! It's my only dress though. Ya gotta have one dress, and I figure that black goes with everything. And it's slimming!!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#8 of 59 Old 04-06-2010, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Yeah, I have a simple knee-length one that has short sleeves with pretty little ribbons on them and a criss-cross front. It's really comfortable and worked when I was nursing, which was nice.

I like to wear it with colored shoes (like red, blue, or metallic) to change it up a bit, or throw on a funky necklace or whatever to change the look.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#9 of 59 Old 04-06-2010, 09:08 PM

I do. I don't wear it often, but I do have one.
Very simple, V-neck, sleeveless, hugs the waist, if I keep my hands down, it's about an inch below my fingers, heels and a one-perl necklace finish it up for a date.
(mkay, I'll go now remind DP it's about time for us to go out for a date night. )

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#10 of 59 Old 04-06-2010, 09:10 PM

Yes, but I never get any opportunities to wear it and its also now a couple of sizes too small.

I love it though, it has a criss-cross bodice with a light flow-y material over it, knee length and speghetti straps. I thought I was hot stuff when I wore it..

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#11 of 59 Old 04-06-2010, 09:10 PM

Nope - I think I'd feel funny wearing one. I've been trying to dress a little more femininely lately though, just to bring myself out of the postpartum sweatshirt/sweatpants haze, and I've been wearing more skirts. And of course, now that the weather's nice, it's worth shaving.

I should probably be doing something else right now.
#12 of 59 Old 04-06-2010, 10:00 PM

I do. I bought it for my brother's wedding and wore it to one other wedding since. I don't go to a lot of formal things lately, but I like knowing I have it just in case. It is fairly classic in design (sleeveless v-neck, empire waist, beaded top and cut just above the knee) so I am not worried about it going out of style anytime soon.

I wouldn't just run out and buy one without having a specific use for it though.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#13 of 59 Old 04-06-2010, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Nope. I did as a teen - it was knee-length and kind of shapeless, not particularly flattering really, but teamed with opaque black stockings and a white button-down shirt underneath it was kind of cute. Preppy, though, which is probably not the correct essence of a LBD.

Since then I've renounced black... in fact, that process started when I was wearing my little black dress and a woman kindly told me "It doesn't do a thing for you". It doesn't, either. It looks extreme. I ran into an old high-school friend once wearing a perfectly boring black turtleneck, and she started a rumour I'd turned Goth. I'm just too pale to pull it off (and actually, nowadays I kind of like the goth/Lolita/steampunk aesthetic, but I don't have the budget for it).

So, in a word: no. I do have some fabric in my stash waiting to make me a little GREY dress, though. I loves me little grey dresses! And they make me look much less undead.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#14 of 59 Old 04-06-2010, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yes, 3 black evening gowns, in a range of sizes. I only wear one about every other year, whenever DH and I go to a formal ball (he's in the military).

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#15 of 59 Old 04-06-2010, 11:38 PM

I don't, but I wish I did.

I used to, but that was a couple of sizes ago. I'm hoping to update my wardrobe in a few months since I'm losing weight right now.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#16 of 59 Old 04-06-2010, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think I have a few in a different sizes. I would wear them at every fancy occasion.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#17 of 59 Old 04-06-2010, 11:42 PM

I do have one. It has a padded chest and makes my boobs look AWESOME.

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#18 of 59 Old 04-06-2010, 11:49 PM
Banned

I have two. One for winter, one for spring and summer. I don't go to a lot of formal events, but they were strategically purchased for events at which I needed to look "nice."
#19 of 59 Old 04-06-2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVyky View Post
I do have one. It has a padded chest and makes my boobs look AWESOME.

I don't. I have a great blue linen dress that I made myself last fall that I can kind of dress up. I have another long blue dress that I love, but don't have an occasion to wear very often. I don't dress up much, but when I do I usually wear a skirt anyway. I would like to have a LBD, but don't really have a reason to.

I just bought an awesome silk floral floor-length caftan at a thrift store--does that count? (I actually have no intention of wearing it as-is. But the fabric is AWESOME.)
#20 of 59 Old 04-07-2010, 12:03 AM

I used to. I do currently have a nice black dress that works well for weddings and funerals. But it isn't the LBD of LBD fame. I so seldom get to dress up.

love.gif

#21 of 59 Old 04-07-2010, 12:10 AM

I almost never get a chance to dress up, but I do have a LBD, a little BROWN dress. Brown looks better on me than black, I think. It's chocolate brown satin with these kind of ruffly overlapped layers--hard to describe, but it's got a 1920's feel to it, which works for me because I'm really flat-chested! My dh and I went to on Oscar party in LA (we live in AZ) at the home of the audiobook producer he edits for. I got the dress at an outlet mall at the BCBG outlet for $50 on the WAY to CA--yep, last minute-- and found some cute shoes in LA a few hours before the party, which really, really hurt my feet by the end of the night, but we had a great time.

Heather, Mama to DS(10) DD(7.5),DD(6)
#22 of 59 Old 04-07-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookie View Post
The ubiquitous Little Black Dress. The one thing fashion gurus say is a must-have. I admit I don't, especially since I hardly wear formal clothes since kids and SAHMing. But I'm curious to know if other moms have one? Do you get to wear it often(ish)? Is it, in fact, black? Care to describe it?

I sure wish sometimes that I had more occasions that called for dressing up (more so when my legs are freshly waxed )
some people (me) actually look awful in black clothes near the face, so...
#23 of 59 Old 04-07-2010, 06:56 AM

I have three - sleeveless, short sleeved, and 3/4 length.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#24 of 59 Old 04-07-2010, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have at least 3. One is a silky sleeveless slip dress for summer. One is a sleeveless knit jersey, I wear it with a silky fine knit turtleneck. Another has a jewel neckline and empire bodice and long sleeves in a fine knit, and is more a day dress.

I may still have a sleeveless, velvet sheath that was great through the holiday season. I haven't seen it the last couple of times that I packed up my closet though, so I'm not sure.

Black is my basic. I love it and wear it all the time - too much! Last year I rebelled and bought a beautiful fine wool sheath dress in gorgeous crimson RED!
#25 of 59 Old 04-07-2010, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

wow. i'm impressed with the numbers...pretty much split down the middle. in fact, you hottie sirens may even outnumber us frumpy others

no matter, fellow non-LBDers, we're still sax-ay!

ETA: also, PPs with the brown and blue dresses...I personally think those two are MUCH better colours for formal attire!
#26 of 59 Old 04-07-2010, 08:37 AM

No, I don't. After buying everything that ds needs, there's usually no money left for me.
My clothes are pathetic.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#27 of 59 Old 04-07-2010, 08:49 AM

No, I don't have a LBD, but I do have a gorgeous paisley print maxi-dress that i wear when I feel like dressing up a bit to go out. Maxis suit my style more, especially colourful ones. I like black too, but I haven't worn much black since I moved to the tropics.

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

#28 of 59 Old 04-07-2010, 09:07 AM

I love a LBD and have 4. 2 for winter and 2 for summer.

DD: I'm bored and want to play Me: What about me? I can play. DD: No thanks, I mean a real person.
#29 of 59 Old 04-07-2010, 09:14 AM

Nope, but I want one.

Enjoying the adventure of NFL with my partner-in-crime , DD 03.09 , , &
#30 of 59 Old 04-07-2010, 09:17 AM

I have 3. All in storage...so, not sure if that counts.

Happy mama to DD reading.gif  DS  drum.gif and DD coolshine.gif and married to an awesome DH jammin.gif.  homeschool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page