The medical system just took another victim - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-09-2010, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglevoice View Post
I still don't have the whole story as to why the mom had to have a c-section...but she said the baby is in the NICU because he had fluid in his lungs. He's still being held in the NICU because mom is running a fever and they won't let her hold her baby boy!!! I'm guessing the fever is due to the fact that she just had a major surgery, wouldn't you think?? I mean with that much trauma and blood loss, I would imagine a slight fever would be normal?
I've had 3 c-sections, never had a fever with any of them. None of my kids were in NICU either from the c-sections.

I think there are other things going on that haven't been shared with you.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kama'aina mama View Post
I would think that if a fever is a normal byproduct of a C-Section the hospital would know that. You might want to keep in mind that some of the medical reasons this woman may have for the decisions she made or for the complications she and her baby are experiencing may be very, very personal and she may be choosing not to share them with you.

Best wishes to your friend and her new baby!
Yepper.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Old 04-12-2010, 12:59 PM

Hope the baby heals.Sad thing is this 19yo has set herself up for the same medical care with every pregnancy.It will be very unlikely she will come to realise her own impatience,and doctor interventions probably led to the c-section and baby in nicu.Even if you told her exactly that she will prefer to believe the doctors saved her and her baby. In the end ofcourse they did save them both.

I am soooooo glad I came to my senses while pregnant with my first.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeMommy View Post
Respiratory distress is not uncommon in c-section babies. I had a coworker who's 9-pound full-termer ended up the NICU with respiratory distress after a scheduled C.
I had a 9-lb full-termer (10 days "overdue") end up in NICU for respiratory distress. Born vaginally with no pain meds and spontaneous labor. So let's not jump to conclusions.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
I've had 3 c-sections, never had a fever with any of them. None of my kids were in NICU either from the c-sections.

I've had 2 c/s and I have to agree with Kat on this. Something else might be up which hasn't been shared.

Hugs and healing energy to everyone for speedy recoveries!

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 04-12-2010, 08:17 PM

2 sections here as well...with no complications whatsoever. I would probably think that there was something else going on as well.

Speedy recovery to baby and mama!
Old 04-12-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglevoice View Post
I still don't have the whole story as to why the mom had to have a c-section...but she said the baby is in the NICU because he had fluid in his lungs. He's still being held in the NICU because mom is running a fever and they won't let her hold her baby boy!!! I'm guessing the fever is due to the fact that she just had a major surgery, wouldn't you think?? I mean with that much trauma and blood loss, I would imagine a slight fever would be normal?
2 c-sections here. With DD#1 I was kept in for five days because I had a fever and they were concerned about a post-op wound infection.

Post op fevers aren't "normal". And do you know how much blood loss there was? There's a normal for that too, I think is up to 1000cc for a c-section.

I think it's clear that you don't know the whole story.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Banned

to be clear, of course i realize that--in general--it is not always easy to plan a pregnancy for a certain timing.

but for my friend, it was easier for her. she charted, knew her cycle well, and was specifically planning on an august baby because her other son is also born in august. she told me that she had planned it for then. of course, if she hadn't gotten pregnant then, no big deal for her, but that is what she wanted and what she worked to achieve.

what i found ironic, is that she also knew that her family would be having it's reunion for the second and third weeks of august that year, and she knew that her cycle would indicate that--if she got pregnant for august--she would be due in the middle of that vacation.

and so, she decided in her 5th month of pregnancy to schedule the c-section for august 2nd, which was the 39th week by the doctor's counting. she and her baby were fine and healthy, even though her incision got infected, and today everyone is a-ok (two years out).

it simply boggled my mind that she would elect to have a c-section for this reason.

but of course, this is only the reason that she told me, and there could have been many reasons that she didn't share with me.

and FWIW, when she told me she elected that date and for that reason, i kept my mouth shut and was supportive to her face. at home, i fumed with my husband about it, because it just seemed ridiculous.

it wasn't until i realized that 1. it really isn't my business anyway, and 2. i don't necessarily know the "real" reasons (assuming there are others), that i could accept her decision fully.

but, to her face, i was always, always supportive of her choice.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post

I've had 4 (first was an emergency, 2nd was a failed VBAC, and the other 2 were planned by my OB/GYN..as you don't have the option to try vaginal after 2 past csections). Plus, 3 of my 4 kids were 9 1/2 to 11lbs at birth..only the last was average sized)

Anyhow, I also didn't get fevers, and neither of my kiddos were in the NICU or had breathing troubles.

Mom to the best 4 little men ever! chicken3.gif
Old 04-19-2010, 10:39 AM

My SIL had an infection (thought it was the flu) prior to going into labor and also ended up having a c-section. My niece was put in the NICU as a precaution. The fever was not from the c-section but from other issues that probably resulted in her having a c-section (she was in the OR for two hours).

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)

User Tag List