If you have $100-$150 to buy a digital camera... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-08-2010, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What one would you buy?

Our trusty, 5 year old digital camera (Canon Powershot A80) gave out last week for good.

Our budget is a bit tight, so I can't afford to spend a ton of money to replace it. What I really want is a good digital SLR, but it's going to be a year or two before I can save up for that.

But, I really need a reasonable point and shoot model now for taking family pics. Our families live 1500 miles away, and digital pictures are a major way we keep in touch.

I have about $150 in my personal slush fund (birthday money, a bit of consulting I do on the side). What should I buy? I'm not opposed to refurbished. I like to have a bit of manual control, but could live without it.

thanks,

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#2 of 8 Old 04-08-2010, 02:48 PM
ssh

I got a canon power shot A470, that's 7.1 megapixels, 3.4 optical zoom, on sale at walmart for under $100 ( I think $80 something) about a year ago. We love it. Canon makes several of the power shot models in your price range.
#3 of 8 Old 04-08-2010, 06:46 PM

I don't know what to GET but I can tell you what not to get... a Kodak Easy Share. We have one and hate it! It's pictures are grainy if you zoom at all I just really hate it, I want clear pictures of my kids, you can't get close ups either, they are blurry.

Good luck finding a great camera!

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#4 of 8 Old 04-08-2010, 07:23 PM

I say stick with Canon! I love my Canons. I have a Powershot G9 and a Rebel XSi, along with several lenses. I know that's not entirely helpful to you, but Canon is for sure the way I would go.

Here's one that comes with a 4gig memory card that should be more than enough for most of your images.

Hope this helps!

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#5 of 8 Old 04-08-2010, 08:29 PM

Not to hijack your thread, but dothe canon's have vidio capability? My crappy camera actually takes pretty decent vidios and I do like that. Just curious.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#6 of 8 Old 04-08-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie T View Post
Not to hijack your thread, but dothe canon's have vidio capability? My crappy camera actually takes pretty decent vidios and I do like that. Just curious.
Some Canons do. My Powershot G9 does, but my DSLR doesn't. You'd just have to look around.

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#7 of 8 Old 04-08-2010, 09:19 PM

I'd check craigslist or kijiji for a lightly used but newer model camera- specifically an Olympus.

I have an Olympus Stylus (It's 100% idiot proof) and Ill never buy anything else.

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#8 of 8 Old 04-08-2010, 10:17 PM

I say canon powershot also ..
I got my daughter a A460 last year for $80 & it takes great pics.. i use it instead of my more $ powershot sometimes when we go places cause its smaller & easier to throw in a pocketbook

has good video also

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page