Do ceiling lights belong in living rooms? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-17-2010, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
If it helps, I am about two months short of a degree in Interior Design and I've only ever seen a lack of overhead lights of some kind in cheap new construction - apartment buildings, or neighborhoods built on spec. I guess when you're building a lot of units at once, those fixtures can really add up.

I like the option. I may still need lamps and things for reading and other close work, but the option of an overhead light seems like a necessity. A lot of people don't care about ambient lighting or lighting for visual impact, they want to flip a switch a light a room. I would venture that most people fall under this category.

Of course, I also live where it's hot and most rooms have a ceiling fan, so I suppose the thought process is...might as well stick a light on it. Here, it would be considered very very unusual for a room not to have some kind of overhead lighting. It might be recessed or on a dimmer switch, but there would be something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our last apt didn't have them, and I hated it. The upstairs neighbor's balcony blocked the light out of our window and the room was always dark. Our floor lamp was nice in the evening, but there just wasn't much light any other time of day.

Our current condo has 10ft cielings (not vaulted) and it does have a cieling fan with a light. I like that we can light the room without a lamp, but the light is totally inadequate. I think it is just too high and the light isn't powerful enough to give enough light to read or whatever. I think wall sconces would be really nice, but if it was our place (not rented), I might consider a fixture with multiple lights on it just to give more light.

I think, if I were buying, my decision might be swayed about a house that didn't have one if I wanted it, but I wouldn't be swayed by a house having one if I didn't want it, kwim?
Old 04-17-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
It's soooo nice to not have to have lamps with a toddler in the house.
This is a good point, as well. It wasn't a toddler, but dd1 recently wrapped her skipping rope around our halogen lamp, then tried to pull it free. We ended up with broken glass all over the living room, and had to get a new lamp (I don't like it as well as the old one, either).

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 04-17-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
If it helps, I am about two months short of a degree in Interior Design and I've only ever seen a lack of overhead lights of some kind in cheap new construction - apartment buildings, or neighborhoods built on spec. I guess when you're building a lot of units at once, those fixtures can really add up.

We built in Ohio (and it was not a "cheap spec home"--it was a custom built house that is in the upper-moderate price range) and it the original floor plan with every single builder we checked with did NOT have overhead lights in living rooms & bedrooms and instead had switches that worked with outlets for lamps. We paid extra to have light/fan combos in all of those rooms.

And in the house we just moved from, the living room did not have a light, and it was a 31 year old house. It always irritated the heck out of me because why on earth would the custom be a dark room? Since when did lights go out of fashion? :

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
Old 04-18-2010, 11:08 PM

I'm a lifelong renter, and I have to say that I love it when we get a house that has living room lighting already. I'd say about half of the places I've rented haven't had living room fixtures, and I've always hated that. Lamps don't always light up the room enough.

addicted, homeschooling, freelancing mama to DS 8. Pet mama to Harvey the Wonder Mutt :, Pnut: and Autumn : Oh, yeah, and
Old 04-18-2010, 11:16 PM

My dad built our whole house, and I don't think he cared a lick what anyone else thought in large part - he built it how he wanted/liked it

That said, we have a standard flourecsent light fixture in our living/family room... you know, the big long 4' flouresecnt bulbs? Those. I think theres 4 or 5 in the thing, though, tbh I really am not 100% as I can't remember the last time we felt the need to replace bulbs... So, sure, why not? Its not in use 100% of the time (we have a little lamp on the wall to turn on at night while watching tv), but its super nice to have a nice, BRIGHT light to be able to see everything!!

User Tag List