"The couple at the table next to you took care of it." - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 86 Old 04-18-2010, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by liliaceae View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Also, do you ask how much the bill is first? What if they ordered like $50 worth of Big Macs or something?? I am intrigued by the idea though.....
Hand them a $20 and say "will that cover the person behind me as well?"
You can sometimes tell by how long they are ordering.

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#62 of 86 Old 04-18-2010, 12:30 AM

I haven't had anybody pay anything for us before, but I do have a somewhat sweet veteran story

We (my 3 children and I) were en route to Korea from Minneapolis. My husband is stationed there, and we were going to join him. I really had my hands full...the 18 month old in the Ergo, the two boys, all of our carryons, plus I was lugging Shelby's Marathon. We made it through security, and decided to stop at the McDonalds in the terminal for a meal before we got on the plane. We were sitting there eating, and I noticed this older couple watching me and the kids, and smiling...they were so adorable, they reminded me of my grandparents.

When we finished, they were amused watching me gather all of our stuff, get Shelby in the Ergo on my back, and all the carryons hanging off my shoulders, then the Marathon hanging from my hand. Gosh, I don't want to do that trip again, LOL. Anyway, as we were leaving, they stopped me and told me that my kids were gorgeous () and asked why I was traveling like that, all by myself...so I told them where we were going. The man stood up, put on a WWII vet cap, and immediately took all my bags () and he and his wife accompanied me to my gate and sat with us for a good long time.

We're a new Army family too, and this huge move across the world was our first with the military, so I was SO incredibly overwhelmed with everything, it was so much more than I had bargained for when my husband signed up. I know it wasn't much, but talking with that man, a WWII vet, no less, was so wonderful for me. I mean, this guy is a true war hero, and there I was, a brand new Army wife with a brand new Soldier husband, headed to our first duty station, and he took time out of his day to help me out...and he was thanking ME. Mind boggling.

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

#63 of 86 Old 04-18-2010, 03:04 AM

I bought a 20$ gift card at the coffee shop for this man who looked super depressed and asked the clerk to give it to him as I left. I wished I was brave enough to do it myself but that will have to do.
I was having an awful day a few years back and asked God to send me an "angel", a small sign that He cared and a woman came to my till and grabbed my hand , put some change in it and told me " God bless you,God bless you!!"
#64 of 86 Old 04-19-2010, 04:33 PM

My husband is military and we've had it happen several times at restaraunts - sometimes he's been in uniform but mostly he really likes his veteran t shirt. The most shocking time was the last night of his R&R during his last deployment and our bill was over $200 at a really nice restaraunt bc it was supposed to be for our birthdays, anniversary, etc all rolled into one. The manager had worked with his dad at a previous job for quite a few years and told us not to worry about it.

I've also paid for the person behind me in drive thrus many a time. Something about it makes me feel better when I'm having a rough day.

Proud Army wife to my best friend, mama to River (5/07) and Willow (2/10)
......... i love my life! ..........
#65 of 86 Old 04-19-2010, 07:38 PM

On Friday I posted on Facebook that I was going to pay for a random stranger's meal or purchase in line behind me this weekend. About 20 people posted that it was a great idea and they were going to do the same and then we'd post back tonight what we did. So this thread has inspired a mini-movement of sorts. I'm going to post that and do it every pay day.

So this is what I ended up doing this weekend. We didn't go anywhere at all except a Mexican restaurant on Sunday that serves brunch. There was a small birthday party for a woman two tables down from us. So, since I knew the brunch was $15.99, I made sure the waitress put her brunch on our tab and I sent over a glass of champagne for her birthday. The waitress told them who it was and she stood up and made a toast to us. And then she thanked us as we walked by her table on the way out. It was fun!

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#66 of 86 Old 04-20-2010, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchgrrl View Post
On Friday I posted on Facebook that I was going to pay for a random stranger's meal or purchase in line behind me this weekend. About 20 people posted that it was a great idea and they were going to do the same and then we'd post back tonight what we did. So this thread has inspired a mini-movement of sorts. I'm going to post that and do it every pay day.

So this is what I ended up doing this weekend. We didn't go anywhere at all except a Mexican restaurant on Sunday that serves brunch. There was a small birthday party for a woman two tables down from us. So, since I knew the brunch was $15.99, I made sure the waitress put her brunch on our tab and I sent over a glass of champagne for her birthday. The waitress told them who it was and she stood up and made a toast to us. And then she thanked us as we walked by her table on the way out. It was fun!
I love it!

Wife to geek.gif (08/03), Mom to energy.gif (10/05) and babyboy.gif (11/09).

#67 of 86 Old 04-20-2010, 02:50 PM

It's never happened to me but I've paid for other people's toll. It's really fun to do, especially on gnarly traffic days when people may not want to be in traffic anyway. I never thought of paying for someone's food but I will keep that in mind for next time

afro.jpg TTA #1 through the Foster Care system

10/12 - Orientation

10/12 - Accepted into Foster Family Agency

02/13 - Finished the paperchase
03/13 - Homestudy completed
03/13 - Matching phase

#68 of 86 Old 04-20-2010, 05:31 PM

This is the SWEETEST thread I've seen in a long time. Thank you for it - it brightened my day
#69 of 86 Old 04-20-2010, 06:08 PM

You all inspired me. At our library paperback book sale today I left $5 to pay for other people's books (that would be 50 books ).
#70 of 86 Old 04-20-2010, 09:34 PM

It's happened to me a couple times. Older couple paid for my and my first 4 kids food at Bob Evans once and Applebee's once. Both times, I was told I had very well-behaved children. It was very sweet and I appreciated it a lot.

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

#71 of 86 Old 04-20-2010, 11:51 PM

I have posted this story on MDC before, but here it is again.

On my very first Mother's Day, DS was about 6 weeks old, and I was very much a single mama. I took myself out to breakfast at a fancy restaurant and asked the waitress to seat us somewhere in the back so DS wouldn't bother anyone if he started getting fussy. He was perfect, and nursed happily the entire time. I had the waitress take a pic of us too, which I still love.

A couple a few tables away kept making cute faces at DS and I smiled back at them, but didn't think much of it. When the waitress finally came to see if I needed anything before bringing the bill, I said no, but I was ready to pay. She said, "Oh, it's been taken care of, Happy Mother's Day!" I asked her if it was the couple that had been sitting there looking at DS and she said "yes, but they asked me not to tell you until they had already left".

I literally sat down and cried. I was so stunned. I was totally single, and so very sad that I couldn't even visit my own mother on Mother's Day (who I had been estranged from since 1990), and extremely poor, but was splurging on my yummy breakfast. I have never felt such faith in humanity than I did right then. I will absolutely never, ever forget it and will tell DS about it when he is old enough to understand.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#72 of 86 Old 04-21-2010, 02:36 AM

^aww that is very sweet.

I absolutely love this thread, what a great idea!

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#73 of 86 Old 04-21-2010, 03:08 AM

I love this thread

I have 2 stories. One about my own mama and one involving me.

When I was little, my parents had next to nothing. My mom had 2 babies under 2, and my dad basically blew all their money. So, one day she literally had nothing to feed us. She was crying over how she was going to feed her 2baby girls. She was praying and crying. Didn't feel she could call her family or friends. She went to the mailbox, and lo and behold, there was a blank envelope with $100 in it. She never found out who put it there. But this story has always had such an effect on me!

Now for my story-which doesn't involve money exactly. DH and I were dating and fairly broke but for a special night out we were going to a pro hockey game. We had nosebleed seats but we were super excited and we were completely decked out in our Stars gear. We were getting on the elevator to go up to the very high nosebleed seats when a guy stopped us, and said, "How would you like my 2nd row tickets? I've just realized I can't stay for the game and you two look like true fans!" He handed us the tickets and walked off! Needless to say we were floored. And excited! We had such a great time. : )

I wish I had more money to be generous with. I love to give my babysitter extra money but that's about all I can do right now. One day when I have more though..I will buying somebody's dinner!
#74 of 86 Old 04-21-2010, 10:28 AM

This is such an uplifting thread! Thanks you guys! I need this today.

I haven't ever had something like this happen to me, but I plan to do it for someone else soon!

Married to my sweetie and enjoying life with our fabulous dog.  Expecting #1 in August 2012!!!!

#75 of 86 Old 04-21-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
I have posted this story on MDC before, but here it is again.

On my very first Mother's Day, DS was about 6 weeks old, and I was very much a single mama. I took myself out to breakfast at a fancy restaurant and asked the waitress to seat us somewhere in the back so DS wouldn't bother anyone if he started getting fussy. He was perfect, and nursed happily the entire time. I had the waitress take a pic of us too, which I still love.

A couple a few tables away kept making cute faces at DS and I smiled back at them, but didn't think much of it. When the waitress finally came to see if I needed anything before bringing the bill, I said no, but I was ready to pay. She said, "Oh, it's been taken care of, Happy Mother's Day!" I asked her if it was the couple that had been sitting there looking at DS and she said "yes, but they asked me not to tell you until they had already left".

I literally sat down and cried. I was so stunned. I was totally single, and so very sad that I couldn't even visit my own mother on Mother's Day (who I had been estranged from since 1990), and extremely poor, but was splurging on my yummy breakfast. I have never felt such faith in humanity than I did right then. I will absolutely never, ever forget it and will tell DS about it when he is old enough to understand.
This made me cry! How sweet.

Married to my sweetie and enjoying life with our fabulous dog.  Expecting #1 in August 2012!!!!

#76 of 86 Old 04-21-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasprings View Post
You all inspired me. At our library paperback book sale today I left $5 to pay for other people's books (that would be 50 books ).
And this is the great thing about threads like this, it inspires us to be kind and generous

afro.jpg TTA #1 through the Foster Care system

10/12 - Orientation

10/12 - Accepted into Foster Family Agency

02/13 - Finished the paperchase
03/13 - Homestudy completed
03/13 - Matching phase

#77 of 86 Old 04-21-2010, 05:35 PM

I've never paid for someone's meal, but I have paid their toll.

One thing I always do is when I know I'm going to a craft store (AC Moore, Michaels, Jo-Ann's) I print off several coupons from the internet & while I'm waiting in line, I hand them out. People are always so happy to be saving a bit of money & it makes me feel good to see their smiles.

Lola , loving my DH, Mama to & we &
#78 of 86 Old 04-22-2010, 01:09 AM

i have a friend who whenever she sees a particularly beaten up car parked somewhere, leaves 10 or 20 bucks on the windshield to help out.
my friends and me have also done the secret santa thing for xmas where we'd get something nice for someone who we know is having a hard time or is just a really great person and send it to them without identifying who it is from - i dont like when people feel obligated!
something like what others described only happened to me ONCE, but it was very magical.
it was a few years back and i was still unmarried. i was working for a group of foreign business people and we were wrapping up our work, just sharing impressions and having a cup of coffee in the hotel lobby. meanwhile, in one of the ballrooms some company was having a huge new years party.
so these two men walk in with huggge heaps of unbelivably beautiful roses, one had red ones and the other one had white ones, and they both head for the ballroom.
i guess i kinda looked longingly at them without even realizing it.
all of a sudden the one with the white roses turned around, came up to me and saying 'this is for you' handed me the huge bouquet...
i was so speechless, i didnt know how to react and before i knew it he disappeared. it's such a sweet memory... he probably doesnt remember that he's done that anymore, but i will treasure it for the longest time :-)
#79 of 86 Old 06-07-2010, 07:36 AM

I guess i never really thought about it, but I have done this lots. If I'm in line and the person in front of me is short a few cents to a dollar or two and is about to put something back, I'll pay for it. A man did it once for me in a grocery line, but he did it out of impatience, to hurry up the line and I was mortified. I have always remembered that his kindness wasn't very kind.
I have always done it to be truly kind. There have been many times someone has been kind to me in the same way.
I once drove a lady who was out of gas and had no money, to the gas station, bought her $5 in gas (when it was cheap) and drove her back to her car. My friend who was with me thought I was completely nuts! I knew the woman wouldn't be very gracious about it, she wasn't... she was a little rough... but it was the right thing to do. I've been stuck before without money or gas and I've always managed to find a way, or someone else has helped me.
I like being able to give back!
- Jen

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

#80 of 86 Old 06-07-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
i also leave notes on veteran's cars, and also family of military service people's cars. when i'm in the US anyway.

i had this one car with which i had a "relationship." the car had a "my son is a marine" sticker on it, and i would often see that car in the parking lot where i did my grocery shopping. so, one day, i see the blue-star sticker next to it, which means that person is serving in war.

i got out some stationary (i do carry it around--or did when i lived in the US), and i wrote a note saying that i was thankful for their son and his efforts, and that i am sure they are very proud. i then left a gift card to the grocery store with it ($15 no big deal, but still).

every time i would see the car, i would write a little note that said "thinking of you, and praying for your son's safe return."

months later, that same car also had hte gold star sticker--which i understand to mean that the serviceman had passed. i went and got a sympathy card at the card shop, and a gift certificate from the grocery store ($50). i wrote that i was sorry for their loss, and that i am sure that their son knew how much they loved him and how proud of him they were.

i put it on their car, and then i went on to get some art supplies (this is a nice shopping center with lots of my favorite supply shops), and when i came out, there was a note on my car--

"i saw you leave the note on my car, and i recognized the handwriting too. it was very nice of you to leave us those notes, and we always told our son about how, when we went to this one shopping center, there was always a note on our car or a little gift. we used those gift cards to send something to our son, and sent your notes on also so that he would be encouraged, even by strangers.

His loss is very hard on all of us, but finally knowing our "secret angel" was a great blessing. "

and then they left their contact information. i went to the memorial service, and they recognized my car and came over to introduce themselves. it was a truly moving experience.
Wonderful stories in general. This one in particular made me cry.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#81 of 86 Old 06-07-2010, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Zoebird, you made me .

I've had my Dunkin' Donuts paid for on a Sunday morning (I suspect by a church member) and DH and I have been out to eat and run into a church family, only to find out when we check out that they've picked up our tab.

Now I wish we had more toll roads in PA so I could pay tolls, LOL!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#82 of 86 Old 06-07-2010, 05:04 PM

I haven't read all the responses, but this happened to me a lot while I was in the military. It always gave me super warm fuzzy feelings and made me get a bit teary! When I have the opportunity I will do this for others as well (haven't been out much in the past year! )

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09
#83 of 86 Old 06-07-2010, 05:27 PM

DH and I at the time had been dating or "in a relationship" as they say now for 6 years that evening. We went to one of our favorite restrnts.

After the meal, the waitress said the bill was already taken care of. We looked at her weird until she gave us a card. BIL (dh's older brother) had taken care of the bill. He snuck in and paid in advance and leter said he had to duck etc so we would not see him.

He does stuff like that! Maybe thats why he was our best man and now Godfather to one of our daughters.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#84 of 86 Old 06-07-2010, 05:54 PM

One Mother's Day for brunch, DH, our 2 children and I went to an area diner for breakfast. There was a sweet older couple sitting nearby who kept ooohing and aaaahing over our children, and just as they were leaving, the lady handed me $40, said Happy Mother's Day and told me that her daughter was a mother, lived very far away and she didn't get to see her very often, so she just wanted to buy me breakfast instead. So sweet...
#85 of 86 Old 06-07-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
i also leave notes on veteran's cars, and also family of military service people's cars. when i'm in the US anyway.

i had this one car with which i had a "relationship." the car had a "my son is a marine" sticker on it, and i would often see that car in the parking lot where i did my grocery shopping. so, one day, i see the blue-star sticker next to it, which means that person is serving in war.

i got out some stationary (i do carry it around--or did when i lived in the US), and i wrote a note saying that i was thankful for their son and his efforts, and that i am sure they are very proud. i then left a gift card to the grocery store with it ($15 no big deal, but still).

every time i would see the car, i would write a little note that said "thinking of you, and praying for your son's safe return."

months later, that same car also had hte gold star sticker--which i understand to mean that the serviceman had passed. i went and got a sympathy card at the card shop, and a gift certificate from the grocery store ($50). i wrote that i was sorry for their loss, and that i am sure that their son knew how much they loved him and how proud of him they were.

i put it on their car, and then i went on to get some art supplies (this is a nice shopping center with lots of my favorite supply shops), and when i came out, there was a note on my car--

"i saw you leave the note on my car, and i recognized the handwriting too. it was very nice of you to leave us those notes, and we always told our son about how, when we went to this one shopping center, there was always a note on our car or a little gift. we used those gift cards to send something to our son, and sent your notes on also so that he would be encouraged, even by strangers.

His loss is very hard on all of us, but finally knowing our "secret angel" was a great blessing. "

and then they left their contact information. i went to the memorial service, and they recognized my car and came over to introduce themselves. it was a truly moving experience.
What a beautiful story, you have me crying! ears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelet View Post
wow. I've never done this, or had this happen. now I think I'd like to do this for someone.

AFA pocketing the money I'd just ask for a receipt or stick around to make sure it happened if it were a large amount of money. If I couldn't I'd just trust someone to do the right thing.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#86 of 86 Old 06-07-2010, 08:17 PM

I this thread! Tears and all....

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page