Gah can't even believe I am asking this... would you feel weird having a get together at your house if... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 04-27-2010, 06:33 PM
MJB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We live in a small (900 sq. ft) 2 BR duplex and I had my son's whole 1st grade class to his bday party here! I know that most of his friends live in nicer houses, but the party was a blast and anyone who would judge us for living in a small apartment is not someone whose opinion I care about. My husband is a PhD student and we're living within our meager means.
I get way more embarrassed by my loud, dented up (from the kids jumping on the hood) old Volvo than my house. My car is a noisy eyesore, my house is at least neat and cozy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 44 Old 04-27-2010, 07:56 PM

Nah, just serve jello salad and beanie weenies out of tupperware.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#33 of 44 Old 04-27-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post
As long as your house is relatively clean and has no yucky odor when I come in the door.
this

i rarely notice old / outdated but i always notice really dirty. and, to be honest, i'm less comfortable in those perfect houses than i am in a "lived in" one. i alway feel like i'm in a museum!

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
#34 of 44 Old 04-28-2010, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
invite them. if you feel really awkward, you can always briefly and cheerfully explain, "we're not sure about how long we're staying, so we're not sure if it's wise to invest in updating." (then you immediately project fiscal prudence! )

I'm fortunate enough to live in a house that is significantly nicer and is in a much better neighborhood than most of my friends. Do I care? no! Do they? i hope not!

I just like to be invited over to my friends' houses to do stuff. It doesn't matter to me where or how they live. Hospitality is what's important!
#35 of 44 Old 04-28-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivymae View Post
Finally a new friend came over, and as soon as she came in, she said "Oh man, I love your home. You can tell people who love each other live here" and I've never apologized for my house again. Homes are more than walls and furniture - it's an energy, and it's where you spend your most precious time with your family. No amount of remodeling can give your home that energy, so be proud when you've got it. The people who deserve to be in your life will pick up on it as soon as they walk in the door.
That is wonderful!
#36 of 44 Old 04-28-2010, 10:13 AM

So I'm the only insecure person? Figures.
#37 of 44 Old 04-28-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post
So I'm the only insecure person? Figures.
not really! i'm saying i wouldn't judge the other person's home, i'm not saying that i wouldn't be horrified at the thought of inviting people to MY house!

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
#38 of 44 Old 04-28-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocelyndale View Post
nah, just serve jello salad and beanie weenies out of tupperware.
yes.
#39 of 44 Old 04-29-2010, 08:03 AM

Yes, I would be nervous but I would do it anyway.It's about the kids not the parents.I guess if the parents have issue they won't come back.

My big thing is the septic system. I have a lovely above ground sand pit,and every so often the water is pumped out into the sand.Talk about embarassing!

You do the best you can. And remember that for many familes that perfect looking house often is the result of major debt. I would rather have your old home than a fancy updated house any day. Though I will admit I would love a inground pool and big jetted bathtub!
#40 of 44 Old 04-29-2010, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Love the fresh flowers idea. Love it!
A few years ago, my husband's and my boss and her husband, who have no children and a seriously sweet house (the coolest house ever imo) invited the whole crew to a sunset sail on the harbor near our house. It seemed logical to have them all over here afterwards for some snacks and drinks. So my dh invited them (he asked first.) I was nervous, because we had some remodeling projects that had been in the works, and the kitchen was one of those. I was so surprised though, when everyone loved our place so much, and wouldn't stop talking about how much they loved it, and my artwork that I had a lot of on the walls. I was seriously blown away by how it was received; I have not hesitated since, except if things are messy/dirty.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#41 of 44 Old 04-30-2010, 01:18 AM
Banned

Oh man, this makes me think of the Winter Solstice party we had the first year with DD, we invited over all the friends we had made at a great crunchy mom's group and stuff... the first people to show up were the rich couple. He's a famous athlete, and I'm glad I had not yet been to their house... when we went over there for a later event I was amazed, it's a mansion. But they are very cool down to earth people, and I figured they didn't care. But it certainly did cross through my mind, the contrast, them sitting on our 20 year old hand me down couches...

I have since been to a lot of the other moms' homes and some are quite nice and some are small and funky, but a lot depends upon location in this area, you can buy a condo or a big house for the same amount depending on which area you look in. I really like our location and I like having a small home (for now).

Our place is so tiny we have all our parties outside on the great common lawn! Everyone raves about that spot and how great it is for parties! And no one see the nasty kitchen (unless they snoop while going in to use the bathroom).
#42 of 44 Old 04-30-2010, 01:55 AM

I guess for me it depends on whether I felt the people would judge me for it. We have friends with more money than us and some with less, some with nicer houses, some in cheap apartments (we are in a cheap-ish apartment, moving into a pretty nice place in a few weeks) I am not the type to judge people based on what they have, so it generally doesn't occur to me to think on those terms, but sometimes you get that stuck-up feeling from someone, and I don't know if I would feel comfortable having them over if I felt they would be judging me the whole time based on where I lived.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#43 of 44 Old 04-30-2010, 10:51 AM

Yes, I would feel weird. I'm pathetically self-conscious, and it wasn’t until very recently that I felt comfortable having members of my own family over to my house!
#44 of 44 Old 04-30-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
I would love to attend a party at say- the Weasley home..
I LOVE the Weasley home! That's my ideal.

Traditional Catholic, aspiring to everyday sanctity. Mama to two amazing girls. Wife to my best friend.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page