S/O: What weird quirks are YOU teaching YOUR children? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 04-26-2010, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You know in 20 years they'll be talking about us.

What will they say?
#2 of 35 Old 04-26-2010, 03:01 PM

They will say that it is my fault they are non-sheeple who do their own thing and don't care if people don't approve of their dress/"lifestyle"/general manner of being.

Seriously though, probably the same bed making thing. I don't really see how they are going to learn to make their bed every morning when they just... Don't have to. And they will probably blame us for quirks they develop that we never bothered putting a stop too. Like DD's habit of eating pizza a different way everytime, or the fact that we let her "play" with her food as long as she doesn't waste any.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#3 of 35 Old 04-26-2010, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
They will say that it is my fault they are non-sheeple who do their own thing and don't care if people don't approve of their dress/"lifestyle"/general manner of being.
We can only hope!

I'm sure my son will remember me teaching him to:

-Open Christmas gifts one at a time.
-How to properly load groceries onto the belt.
-Buy multiples of sale items.
-Put on a robe and house slippers before going downstairs in the morning.
#4 of 35 Old 04-26-2010, 03:05 PM

Well, people seem to think I'm passing on all kinds of freakish behavior to my kids, but I really think some of it's genetic.

My 8 year old picks out typos from books he reads or homework he has to do.

My 3 year old LOVES personal hygiene. He reminds us that we need to brush his teeth before bed, he makes sure we floss everyday. He loves bathtime and has an absolute meltdown if we skip a night. Don't get me wrong, he loves getting dirty as much as any other kid, but when it's bathtime, it's bathtime. I'm a little scared to think of his reaction when he finds out how many people in the world don't bathe daily.

They're both listmakers. My 8 year old moreso because he can write. Once he learned how to write words, he was all about the lists, complete with boxes to put check marks in. His last birthday list had a title, numbers, and parenthesis where he put a specific description of each item.

Everything in my house is organized and alphabetized if possible. They know this and even though my 3 year old is still learning the alphabet, he does remember where items go and puts them back in the right spot. My 8 year old will fix it if someone moves things.
#5 of 35 Old 04-26-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyMarie View Post
We can only hope!

I'm sure my son will remember me teaching him to:

-Open Christmas gifts one at a time.
-How to properly load groceries onto the belt.
-Buy multiples of sale items.
-Put on a robe and house slippers before going downstairs in the morning.
Oh yeah, my 8 year old knows that one! I really really dislike that I can't bag my own groceries and that the checker can't put things in the bags in the order I put them on the belt.
#6 of 35 Old 04-26-2010, 03:53 PM

DH has a germ problem and can navigate a public restroom without his skin ever touching a surface. He opens the doors with his elbows/arms and uses paper towels (or tp if it is paper towel free facility) to turn the faceuts on and off.

DS is copying this and it is amusing to see him come out of a restroom backwards. using his butt to push the door open, with his hands extended upward as if he was a surgeon on the way into an operating room.

I have some food issues that are quirky that I am sure will carry over into his adulthood. Nothing damaging, just very specific ideas that I am sure his friends/future mates might raise an eyebrow at.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#7 of 35 Old 04-26-2010, 05:30 PM

The moment I left home, (16) I swore to never do any of the things we did as a kid. Not only because of control issues but some of the things we did, made me fee lied to. (traditional things like.. white bearded men, giant rabbits, fairies that steal).. stuff like that.

So we do not do any of those things.

I did learn from having a rough childhood, not that I think anyone should have to learn that way, but I will never hit, lie, or belittle my kids. And I have shared a real respect for animals with my children that my family never had.

We make our beds, kinda, if we don't DH will do it or its magic lol. Someone always makes beds, its not a strict rule, but it will get done by someone in the morning. All the kids shove jammies they plan to wear again under their pillow or in my dds case in her bed doll.

One tradition we made up ourselves is Thanksgiving and Christmas Dinner, we do not do a big family gathering with 100s of relatives, we keep it to just us, we do not do a turkey, Each kid picks out what they want to eat, can be anything they want, and thats what they have, dh and I do the same.

We do have a rule here that If I won't eat it, I won't expect my kids to eat it. I also don't make my kids sit and eat there dinner until its all gone, like my parents did. I never ask my kids to wait on anyone, but if they are old enough to get something for themselves they should do it and not depend on someone else to wait on them. Supper gets served to the kids first, then adults.

We just do things our own way.

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.
#8 of 35 Old 04-26-2010, 09:26 PM

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#9 of 35 Old 04-26-2010, 09:36 PM

We never make our beds, don't wear shoes unless we have to.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#10 of 35 Old 04-26-2010, 09:56 PM
Bea

In 20 years, he'll say.

My Mommy fed me homemade food and showed me how to do it. She kept our house neat and clean and I helped. She bathed me and taught me to bathe. Soothed my fevered brow and kissed every boo boo away. She supported my efforts, comiserated my failures, worked to pay for the roof over our heads and d*mn, that b***h got the boobies out any time I needed them!

He will self wean, won't he?

"Custom will reconcile people to any atrocity."
#11 of 35 Old 04-26-2010, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
That they're terrified of worms for no reason because they've seen their mom freak out enough times that they automatically picked it up.

Or that cookie dough is best eaten raw-cooking it is almost akin to sacrilege.

Unfortunately they haven't picked up some of my better quirks like liking mustard.

And that they have no idea where their strange sense of humor and sarcastic talk came from. Certainly not me. I swear.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#12 of 35 Old 04-27-2010, 12:51 AM

To make sound effects for nearly everything. Lina sets a cup on a table "dnk". Gets ready to go down a slide "ready, whoosh!"
#13 of 35 Old 04-27-2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
In 20 years, he'll say.
got the boobies out any time I needed them!

He will self wean, won't he?
It will be "got" and not "gets" it will!
#14 of 35 Old 04-27-2010, 01:02 AM

I don't know what my kids will do that's a quirk. I'm nearly 40 and just found out one I do isn't the norm. My dad was talking about his dad's (my grandpa's) ship in WWII and they didn't have syrup, so that's where he learned to eat French toast with just butter and some sugar sprinkled over the top. And I was like, "What? you mean that's not the way you're supposed to eat French Toast?" My dad had to explain to me it was just a family thing, his dad did it, so he grew up doing it that way and that's how he served it to me. I had no idea most people used syrup.
#15 of 35 Old 04-27-2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess View Post
I don't know what my kids will do that's a quirk. I'm nearly 40 and just found out one I do isn't the norm. My dad was talking about his dad's (my grandpa's) ship in WWII and they didn't have syrup, so that's where he learned to eat French toast with just butter and some sugar sprinkled over the top. And I was like, "What? you mean that's not the way you're supposed to eat French Toast?" My dad had to explain to me it was just a family thing, his dad did it, so he grew up doing it that way and that's how he served it to me. I had no idea most people used syrup.
I don't put syrup on waffles... and I've taught DH to eat them my way, too. I cover them in butter and then drop 2 sunny-side up fried eggs on them and eat them together (DH gets his fried hard).

And french toast gets jam and/or PB and/or cream cheese here. No syrup for that either. Heck, even pancakes only rarely get syrup. I guess those will be some of the quirks my kid(s) gets. Along with strawberry jam in the oatmeal.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#16 of 35 Old 04-27-2010, 02:21 AM

My child will definately wonder why other people use paper for everything. Diapers, wipes, family cloth. We do it all. He's gonna be like "mommy, where's grandma's family cloth?" lol.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#17 of 35 Old 04-27-2010, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyantavid View Post
Well, people seem to think I'm passing on all kinds of freakish behavior to my kids, but I really think some of it's genetic.
Agreed. My son has inherited my love for straight sheets and blankets and insists every night that I tuck him in proper-like.

My daughter thrashes around in her sleep just like her dad. She ends up wrapped up in her comforter, sometimes with her head at the foot of the bed, and I can hardly stand to look at it.

I have no doubt they'll end up in therapy talking about me at some point. That's alright, I'm in therapy talking about them right now.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#18 of 35 Old 04-27-2010, 03:48 PM

I don't know. If I recognized that I was passing on any quirks, I wouldn't be doing it. I'm sure I am - but I'm too quirky to know it.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#19 of 35 Old 04-27-2010, 06:24 PM

DS1 already knows that after putting on lip balm with your finger, you rub the excess on your elbows. I HATE having rough elbows...

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#20 of 35 Old 04-27-2010, 07:34 PM

My kids "hum" just before they kiss someone "mmmmmm" kiss. I can't explain it, but my whole family does this, so I know my kids learned it from me.

They also talk to inanimate objects and give them directions. "No, no, no, shovel, don't fall down." I know they learned that from me too. Apparently, dh doesn't feel the need to talk to objects.

Oh, and they'll use the word apparently too much. One of students pointed out it was a 'Lynn' word, and I heard dd (age 5) using it that night.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#21 of 35 Old 04-27-2010, 07:37 PM

It just came to me because of another thread. I am teaching my children to treat musical instruments like babies or small animals, minus the feeding that is.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#22 of 35 Old 04-27-2010, 07:50 PM

Definitely the double birthday singing & candle blowing.

The constant reorganizing of stuff from one area to another, from one box to another, from one basket to another. He does it with his toys too.

The Easter egg cracking game.

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#23 of 35 Old 04-27-2010, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
It just came to me because of another thread. I am teaching my children to treat musical instruments like babies or small animals, minus the feeding that is.
What are your instruments' names, MD?

I used to put syrup on bacon/sausage but not on pancakes. And I call it "see-rup" not "sir-up". I'm the only person I know that pronounces it this way, so I'm teaching my kids to say it the right way.

I absolutely cannot open presents unless I DON'T rip the wrapping paper. I love opening presents, so I like for it to take a looooong time. I don't really care what's in there. I just want to savor the unwrapping process. I hope my kids don't pick this one up.It makes Christmas take forever.

And we definitely are a musical family. I sing everything. I sang all the way through both my labors even. I can't do dishes without singing. DS doesn't sing so much, but DD is 1 and she's already starting to do it.
#24 of 35 Old 04-27-2010, 08:35 PM

My main guitar is Missy, DS named the piano clunk

Mostly they are just all "my baby" though.

The kids both know that if I had to chose between them and the telecaster in a fire, it's the guitar and they can fend for themselves.

#25 of 35 Old 04-27-2010, 09:08 PM

That 'fart' is a bad word. I just hate that word, and we simply don't say it in our house.
#26 of 35 Old 04-27-2010, 10:41 PM

They might just end up afraid of drains. I'm in NOOOOOO way a neat-freak, nor do I have germ issues... but I. Hate. Drains. Won't even let me feet touch my own, freshly-cleaned shower drain. DS pulled the stopper out of the sink the other day and I... um... may have freaked out a whole lot more than necessary .

Oh well. It's pretty harmless, as quirks go .

Oh, also inventing words to songs that don't have words, or even songs that do have words. Preferably on-the-spot, not necessarily rhyming, and having nothing to do with the original topic of the song.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#27 of 35 Old 04-28-2010, 01:18 PM

They'll probably use just bottom sheets and duvet covers that get washed every week on their beds like we do now, so that the kids have been able to make their own beds since they were about 3-4 years old. Just fluff pillow and pull up and straighten duvet. (After airing the bed, of course)
#28 of 35 Old 04-28-2010, 01:28 PM

Haven't time to read the whole thread, but I have one that DH has already taught DS - don't drink "old water."

We usually have a glass of water by the bedside. DH has taught DS not to drink the water in the morning because it is "old water." Now, in the middle of the night - or sometimes with a fresh glass that just doesn't have ice in it - DS will reject it, saying, "No!! That OLD water. Want NOT OLD water." At 3 am, he wants a fresh cup of water, not from the attached bath, but from the fridge downstairs, with ice. Thanks, DH.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#29 of 35 Old 04-28-2010, 02:31 PM

I do something weird with my tongue when Im thinking really hard that Im VERY self conscious about. I noticed my 6 year does it too and I nearly cried. He definitely got it from me.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#30 of 35 Old 04-28-2010, 03:53 PM

Well, he'll end up starting every sentence with "Well,...." ...like he already does cause, well, I do.

Center

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page