Is anyone else really bummed about the oil spilling into the Gulf of Mexico? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-29-2010, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read an article about it out loud yesterday to my family and my 4yo started to cry because he was super worried about the seals. Especially the baby seals, "How will they know where to go that is safe if they start the ocean on fire Mommy?"

Anyway I am super bummed today about the worlds dependency on oil...

Great I just read how the spill is approaching the coastline (it should be there by Friday) and the very important wetlands of Louisiana will be badly affected by the spill. Think of all the animals... And there is still oil spilling into the ocean at a rate of 200gallons a day!

Offshore drilling is just so safe and clean isn't it.

Who's with me to not drive their cars until they cap the spill?
#2 of 14 Old 04-29-2010, 10:08 AM

We have been watching the news coverage closely ever since it happened. I'm really concerned about how this will effect wildlife, the environment and the fishing industry. They are saying it's leaking 5000 barrels a day.

I can't boycott driving my car until they cap it, as we are in the process of moving.
#3 of 14 Old 04-29-2010, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I agree it is frightening to watch - I hope they are able to cap the leak soon before more damage is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisApril View Post
I read an article about it out loud yesterday to my family and my 4yo started to cry because he was super worried about the seals. Especially the baby seals, "How will they know where to go that is safe if they start the ocean on fire Mommy?"
From what I understand seals do not inhabit the Gulf of Mexico, maybe that will be of some comfort to your son.
#4 of 14 Old 04-29-2010, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post
I agree it is frightening to watch - I hope they are able to cap the leak soon before more damage is done.

From what I understand seals do not inhabit the Gulf of Mexico, maybe that will be of some comfort to your son.
Actually there used to be a species of seal that lived in the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean but hasn't been seen since the 1950's. They are considered extinct. I do worry about all the other animal species that live in the Gulf of Mexico especially the Sea Turtle which is already critically endangered.
#5 of 14 Old 04-29-2010, 12:34 PM

It makes me feel physically ill thinking about it.

Also, the fact the Obama caved on offshore drilling makes me very afraid for Florida's coastline.
#6 of 14 Old 04-29-2010, 12:37 PM

It is scary to think about. The impact is going to be devastating.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#7 of 14 Old 04-29-2010, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Since the rig exploded & sunk, the only way to stop the flow is on the sea bed at the line, but they have not been successful so far. This is really going to kill the crab, shrimp, & fishing industry, which is already still impaired from Katrina.

I am hoping that some controlled burns will be successful, and that they can get the line closed off to stop the leak asap.

There are no seals in the Gulf of Mexico, but there is a lot of other wildlife.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#8 of 14 Old 04-29-2010, 02:58 PM

Yes, very bummed. Our family just went and saw Oceans over the weekend so I'm really thinking about the wildlife....

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#9 of 14 Old 04-29-2010, 05:38 PM

Yes and I was devastated to hear Obama's decision on offshore drilling. He was my hope for not having it.
It is terrible and sometimes if I let myself really consider what we have done and the state our world is in right now, I despair for our children's future.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#10 of 14 Old 04-29-2010, 07:26 PM

I am very concerned, as well. I live on the Gulf Coast in Alabama and we are expecting not only environmental ramifications, but plenty of economic ramifications, too. It really sucks, and I am deeply saddened at all the destruction this spill is causing. It will probably be years before our beaches are even close to "normal". And that would of course only be normal for what we see...there is no replacing the wildlife.
#11 of 14 Old 04-29-2010, 07:32 PM

I heard a report on public radio this morning and it was really distressing. I hope the can reduce the impact as best they can. It sounds really serious

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#12 of 14 Old 04-29-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2M View Post
It is terrible and sometimes if I let myself really consider what we have done and the state our world is in right now, I despair for our children's future.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#13 of 14 Old 04-29-2010, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligmom View Post
I am very concerned, as well. I live on the Gulf Coast in Alabama and we are expecting not only environmental ramifications, but plenty of economic ramifications, too. It really sucks, and I am deeply saddened at all the destruction this spill is causing. It will probably be years before our beaches are even close to "normal". And that would of course only be normal for what we see...there is no replacing the wildlife.
Yes, we were planning a trip there next week. The gulf coast of Alabama is so nice and calm and family friendly. And I live not too far away. Things have been hard on the Gulf states these last few years.
#14 of 14 Old 04-29-2010, 10:27 PM

Not much to add, but just wanted to chime in with my concern. I'm terribly saddened and worried by it.

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page