Grey hair poll - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-04-2010, 02:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a few strands of platinuim hair - not gray, not white but platinum. Just give me my moment of glamor here please!
Too many to pluck out and I'm never going to dye my hair. I figure I have earned them all. I wear them proudly.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2010, 11:33 AM

I probably had a few stray greys in highschool. I know I did in college because I can remember plucking them out. I started coloring my hair in my late 20s I think?

At 39, I am probably 30% grey but an ugly grey. I would look like a skunk if I didn't color, one wide strip right down the middle.

I have seen younger all grey or white haired women that look stunning.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Old 05-04-2010, 07:14 PM

I get a strand here and there every now and then. I'm 32. My mom is almost in her late 50's and has just started to get more grey. People thought she was my sister up until just a few years ago. I hope I'm as lucky!

My dh, on the other hand has been BALD bald since his 20's. He always gets carded when he's wearing a hat, but never when he takes it off. It's pretty funny.

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

Old 05-04-2010, 07:24 PM

I got my first silver hair around 16ish. I pulled them out until they started coming in groups.

I'm 33 (34 this month) and am about 75% silver...on top of almost black hair.

My dad went white early too (mid-20s) and at 50 he was comletely white.

I didn't color for a really long time, but about a year ago I went through a mild life crisis and colored it. Every time I think I'm done coloring it I start seeing how much silver there is and go get another box.

I'd really like to feel more comfortable with it. I've gotten compliments on it..it really does kind of look like silver tinsle strands, but I'm still

Center
Old 05-04-2010, 08:26 PM

First grays found at age 15 and now that I am 41, I am almost all white. Totally runs in my family.

I dyed it throughout my 20's but friends suggested I stop, I was 33 at the time I think. I was nervous to see "how bad it was" and the growing out stage was uuuuuugly. I see pictures now and cringe.

But now I get compliants weekly on how great and unique my hair is. People honestly do not think I look old. Some think I am just really white/blonde or that I dye my hair this colour to look cool LOL

I use Clariol Shimmerlights shampoo occassionally to keep my hair bright and not yellowing. Highly recommend.

Rhianna
Old 05-04-2010, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm 30, will be 31 in August. I have noticed silver hairs showing up with frequency in the last couple of years. I think I'm going to have a bitchin' streak going on the side of my head in a few years. I don't know if I'll color or not, right now I pick them out if I see them, but I don't go looking for them.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
Old 06-06-2010, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm 38 and have 3 pieces of silver hair. I treasure them and never pulled any, though I hope I don't get more too soon. I hate the thought of coloring hair. I've never done that and don't really want to. My mom didn't get her first gray hair until 50. She's now 65 and doesn't need to dye her hair yet. My grandma also started graying around 50. She's 91 now and has about 50% gray.

I know I won't be like either of them, though as I have fairer skin. I heard people with more pigment go gray later. My brother started having gray hair in his teens. Don't know where he got that gene. Though he does have very light colored skin.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
Old 06-06-2010, 11:39 AM

My mom developed a 'silver streak' in her hair around age 16. It was really neat looking-brown hair with an inch wide silver streak on the side. It got bigger as she got older and she is now in her 50's and a lot of her hair is silver, now.

Me? Not a single silver hair until I had a very traumatic miscarriage (hemorrhage in the hospital, almost didn't make it) 3 years ago. (I was 35 at the time)Now I have them popping up in alarming frequency-but my hair is pretty durn thick so it's hard to see them. (I have red/auburn hair)

My brother is three years younger and his hair is pretty grey.

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

Old 06-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Banned

DH had one white hair back in college, but maybe it was always white. Now he's 30 and he's had more and more white hairs springing up, around his temples. Still very few. I think it's super sexy (he has black hair, so he looks quite dapper IMO).

I'm about to turn 30 but no change in my hair yet. I don't color my hair so for now I'm planning on letting it go naturally. But I admit if it comes in all salt and pepper I might color it... if it's white/silverly I'm in!
Old 06-06-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiZ View Post
Some "go grey" prematurely, some quite late in life and I'm guessing some never at all? Personally, I think most people seem to start somewhere around their 40s and was curious about your experience. I turn 44 this summer and have a few greys sprouting up, I kind of like them and have no plans to cover them up. One of my friends insists that I highlight my hair, that there is no way I can be mid-fourties and not have more grey. I told I didn't highlight it, but she didn't believe me LOL

How about you?
I went grey at 21. I have been told many, many times to color my hair. It really bothers some people that I have grey hair.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:50 PM

Has anyone heard about the connection of premature greying to autoimmune diseases? I read that recently but can't for the life of me remember where. Some other factors were family history & lefthandedness. Maybe it was stopthethyroidmadness?
I'm thinking of streaking my greys away, I can't color them anymore.

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
Old 06-06-2010, 02:28 PM

I started getting some grey/white hairs when I was 18.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 06-06-2010, 03:06 PM

I'm 28, and have seen a few pop up this year... I'm hoping it slows down.

KHG Accounting : Tax , Accounting and Quickbooks services.
File your taxes online for FREE - 39.95. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:14 PM

Old 06-06-2010, 04:52 PM

I found my first on my 21st birthday. great way to signal my entry into adulthood!
i have a LOT more now at 26.
I don't cover them, but I will admit to plucking a few if they happen to be showing in whatever hairstyle I have at the moment I'm looking in a well-lit mirror. They don't seem to show more when my hair is parted than when it is pulled back, which is how it almost always is.

my dad had the silver streak above the right temple, too. on stark black hair.
Mine doesn't seem to be following that pattern.

Mine are shiny silver/white.

oh, and once i found a really long one in a pony tail, pulled it, and it was white on the tip but dark halfway up- on the root end. I was sorry I plucked that one! it worked so hard to turn the pigment back on and I went and pulled it out!
most seem to be short and wiry and silver from root to tip. sometimes I'll find one that is dark at the bottom and then halfway up turns silver

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

Old 06-06-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Margaret View Post
Now he's 30 and he's had more and more white hairs springing up, around his temples. Still very few. I think it's super sexy (he has black hair, so he looks quite dapper IMO).
I agree! My DH is 32 and has some silver hairs around his temples. It looks super hot next to his dark hair!

I, on the other hand, having been getting white, gnarly hairs since I was about 26. I don't notice them, but my sister does and she loves to pluck them out. Eventually, I'll be bald. lol.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

Old 06-06-2010, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I noticed my first gray hairs when I was 17. I have a lot more now, although they don't necessarily come across in photos. I might start coloring them before too long. I used to pull them out, mostly because they were wiry and would stick up and look like unraveled threads. But now there are too many.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:44 PM

Started at 24, noticeable at a close distance at 27.

User Tag List