iPod touch or netbook? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-11-2010, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I've been thinking about buying either a netbook or an ipod touch. I don't know if I will, seeing as how I'm on FMLA and have no income at the moment, but I thought I'd check into it anyhow.

I have a pretty high needs colicky baby at night, and sometimes the only thing that works is to just get in bed and nurse her until she falls asleep and then to NOT MOVE. So sometimes I take my computer to bed with me and set it on a stiff pillow next to me and one-hand type while she naps on me. My laptop battery just doesn't last long enough.

Also, I'll be going back to work at 12 weeks and the room we're going to set up for pumping is just a boring office. I was thinking that something I could play on the internet with to take my mind off pumping would be nice.

So... for these types of things- ipod touch or netbook?

I already have a 2 gig ipod nano and a very nice laptop, FWIW. So it wouldn't be my main computer or my main music device.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2010, 07:51 PM

What about an ipad? B/c it seems like the best of both. I have an iphone and a netbook, and I guess if I had to pick just one, it would be the iphone (even if it was an itouch w/o phone capabilities). But, I do use my netbook like a laptop as in it's what I use 90% of the time vs. a PC (I'm on it now). Since you already have a laptop, I would probably skip the netbook even though it would be slightly more portable. The itouch would be nice for nursing in the dark, or pumping b/c you can use one hand and dim the screen.

ETA: oh, I'm not sure if the itouch battery life is similar to the iphone - but for web surfing only (no phone calls/texts), it still doesn't last very long. But it sounds like you would be near an outlet, and the cord is fairly long. Also, it doesn't take very long to fully charge. My netbook (an Acer) lasts close to 8 hours, I would guess. I can use all the power on my iphone in like 2 hours.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

And iPad would be AWESOME. But costs more than I was really going for.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:32 PM

We have both. I love them, but if you have a laptop, I would go for the itouch. My netbook is certainly smaller/lighter than a laptop, but it's not that much more convenient for the situations you're describing.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:34 PM

I've tried to entertain myself while nursing for hours with an iPod touch and it's fine, but a laptop is much better. If you really need something other than your laptop (can't you just run an extension cord if the battery dying is a problem?) I'd get a netbook.

I spent many, many hours with dd in the crook of my arm and my PowerBook on a pillow on my knees. I built a whole website for my school one handed! But when I would travel and just bring the iPod, I would get annoyed that it was harder to browse and I would get bored easily. DD was the kind of napper where she would nurse to sleep and then could not be moved, so I would be stuck under her for 2 hours every day! Sometimes I would get headphones and watch a movie on my laptop. (We don't have a TV.) I totally understand needing something to do during that time.

If you fell into a pile of money, you could get the best of both worlds. I think these are the coolest things ever. I'd love to get my hands on one!
Old 05-11-2010, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

I could run an extension cord, but it doesn't always happen in bed. Sometimes it's on the couch. So I don't always know where I need to have it plugged in. So I've been keeping it plugged in in one place and then just unplugging it to move it wherever I am. Plus, we only have one 3-prong outlet in each room, and since we installed them before we put furniture in, they're not all in the most accessible places.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
iTouch batteries run out pretty fast and IMO are very hard to type on and read because of the size. But that's just me. I do like mine, but I'd go for a netbook.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 05-11-2010, 09:23 PM

I like my i touch for watching movies/tv shows and for listening to podcast. I buy entire seasons of shows I don't have time to watch and view those while travelling or late at night in bed after everyone is asleep.

I do not like typing on it and in my opinion, it su@ks for surfing the web, it is just too awkward. I actually bought it because we needed access to email and limited web access on vacation. (we were staying someplace with wifi)

So if video or audio is your pleasure, I would recommend an I touch. If web is the goal, net book.

Try turning the brightness and resolution down on your laptop to extend battery life. I get more more time out of mine by turning both settings all the way down.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Old 05-11-2010, 09:37 PM

I would never buy an iPad or iTouch since it dosen't support flash. Soo many website use flash. Hulu and most video content on the web are flash. Lots of animations and applications on websites are flash based too. So basically a lot of the web is useless to you.

Mac isn't going to support flash on any of their new devices.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:17 PM

I have an Acer Aspire One netbook as my portable alternative to my iMac. It's been very good to me. It's not a workhorse by any means, and it's one of the original 9" ones so it probably runs slower than the newer netbooks. But it runs Windows XP and is great for surfing the web, email, writing, watching some youtube videos... Just an all around great very basic mini computer.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
ETA: oh, I'm not sure if the itouch battery life is similar to the iphone - but for web surfing only (no phone calls/texts), it still doesn't last very long. But it sounds like you would be near an outlet, and the cord is fairly long. Also, it doesn't take very long to fully charge. My netbook (an Acer) lasts close to 8 hours, I would guess. I can use all the power on my iphone in like 2 hours.
Yep! My Acer netbook just keeps going and going, too. One of its best qualities since I'm always taking it inside, outside, upstairs, downstairs, to a school meeting...

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, so a netbook seems to fit my needs better. I know it seems a bit silly when i already have a laptop, but my laptop battery lasts a couple of hours, tops. I'll still use my laptop for a lot of things, since i do a lot of uploading video and pictures, and i have about 9 gigs of music, etc. and when i'm going to be typing a lot i'm sure i'll want the laptop.

now to just fall into some money. (though dh did just forget to put my car in park, and in turn it ran into the house, so i could just have a dented car and a new netbook )

User Tag List