What to wear on an interview? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-17-2010, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wise and stylish mamas, HELP!

I just was called for an interview tomorrow for a position in an office.

Do I wear a dress or pants with a nice blouse? Heels or flats?

Back when I used to work full-time, I would always wear a lot of black. Is that good or bad for an interview in mid-May in Tennessee?

If I wear a skirt, how long should it be?

Thanks!
kate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 05-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Banned

From my memory of interview tips... you are better off going too formal than not-enough. They always said one level more than the people working there, or if they dressin suits, a suit, too. Black is always good b/c some people in business think the only okay colors are black and navy . A skirt should be to the knees IMO, b/c they used to warn us about some people will judge you on it being too short. I think pants are fine too, and whatever shoes are nice but easy for you. They really hammered it into us to dress conservativley, and this was in northern California, where people are very casual and funky!

ETA: Oh, and GOOD LUCK!!!
#3 of 10 Old 05-17-2010, 04:22 PM

I'd wear black or grey. I think you'll be good with a dress or dress pants.
#4 of 10 Old 05-17-2010, 04:47 PM

Black is always a good option. As for the others - what do you feel comfortable in and makes you feel confident?

I'm tall (5'10", but I like a nice heel (comfy again) when I want to feel powerful and confident, with nice dress pants and a button down shirt (w/ jacket). I think half of the interview while demonstrating your skills is your personality and demeanor. So play to your strengths and feel good in your clothes!

Just saw the skirt thing - If I was wearing a skirt - yup knee length and again I might pair it with tall boots (w/ a heel)

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#5 of 10 Old 05-17-2010, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the opinions!

I've narrowed it down to two choices...a pair of taupe dress pants with a button-up black blouse or a charcoal gray dress that hits about knee-length. I think I look better in the dress but feel better in the pants, so I am of no help to myself.
#6 of 10 Old 05-17-2010, 05:41 PM

If you feel better in the pants then I would go with that! It sounds like a very nice outfit.

Not that you mentioned this but just in case I would also recommend not wearing open toe or open heel shoes as some companies have policies against it (don't know why but I've seen it quite a bit!) Heels or flats are totally your option though - I personally always wear heels to this kind of thing because it gives me that "power" feeling but that's just me.

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#7 of 10 Old 05-18-2010, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Black blouse, taupe pants and closed black shoes it is! Thanks for all of your advice!
#8 of 10 Old 05-18-2010, 08:37 AM

Great luck!

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#9 of 10 Old 05-18-2010, 10:22 AM

Black is fine, no matter what time of year. I say black pants suit with a nice coral cami underneath. This way you have that little POP of color. I have seen very nice "suits" at walmart and target for not alot of money. Pennys too.

GOOD LUCK!
#10 of 10 Old 05-18-2010, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

I totally thought about a black suit I have, but it's already summer here and all the businesswomen I see are wearing bright colored tank dresses and glorified flip flops. Very strange!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page