How many times would you have died so far? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

#151 of 152 Old 07-05-2010, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't realize we could count strep throat. I only counted the one time it turned into Scarlet Fever.

Actually, I COULDN'T count strep, because I've had it so many times I've completely lost track (ten times in one school year was, I believe, my personal record ). But yeah, while most of the time it wouldn't have been a big deal, that's the kind of stuff we consider "trivial" that could have been a huge deal.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 152 Old 07-05-2010, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Once, for sure. 7 months old and suffered third degree thermal burns to 50% of my lower body and 20% of my upper body, plus several areas of second degree. My disabled aunt tripped and landed a pot of boiling water in my lap while I was in a walker and wearing plastic panties. By the time I got to the ER, 20 miles away, the panties had melted into my skin and I was in shock. I spent the rest of that year in the hospital, largely in isolation with my hands tied to the bed to prevent picking at the grafts.

I had a total of 18 surgeries in the first 19 years of my life, although a few of them were for another accident where I broke my teeth and jaws a few years later. I probably wouldn't have died without the reconstructive surgeries, but I would have been disabled and far more badly scarred than I am. As it is, I have had no permanent fallout from the accident. I have been remarkably healthy, I must say. I finally realized when I was 19 that the surgeons would keep on "improving" my scars as long as I let them. Until then, it never occurred to me to say I was done. I really didn't care about the cosmetics and never did, I just went along with them every time they booked me for more surgery. While I am incredibly grateful for the excellent care I received, I have never looked back.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page