I think I want an iPod touch... but I'm not exactly sure what it is. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-03-2010, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't know-- it looks like fun. What exactly is it? Can I get online with it? I can download games? Does it cost anything beyond buying the iPod? Like, do I need a contract or anything? I have about $220-- is there someplace to get one cheap or reconditioned? But mostly... what is it?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't go down the rabbit hole! Don't go down the rabbit hole!

You can get a new ipod touch for $199. That said, don't do it. They will suck you in!! If you really want one, go here and browse around:
http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

Old 06-03-2010, 07:43 PM

If you know about the ipad - it's pretty much a mini version of that. Or, it's the iphone but without the phone and constant internet capabilities.

You don't have to pay anything beyond the initial cost - unless you want apps besides the free ones (they tend to be .99 cents for most).

To get online and use most apps - you will have to be somewhere with unlocked wifi, and I know others say they can get internet almost anywhere, but I didn't find that to be true where I live, as well as when we traveled. It seemed like most people/places have their wireless internet secured - even McDonalds had you create a log in and add a credit card for service. . But apparently, there are places where you can connect in say the grocery store to look up a recipe or check FB.

Despite all that, I think itouch's are cool and will eventually get my DD one (we have wifi in the house, which is where she'd use it the most), plus she will be able to watch videos downloaded to it as well as have all her music. She has a video capable MP3 player currently, but it's not as useful as an itouch.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, it's the mini computer on the go part that appeals. It would be really handy to keep data like a calendar available. I'll have to keep thinking about it...

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 06-03-2010, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have a 1G. I bought it refurbished through iPod which I would highly recommend for big savings. You don't need a plan, can get internet if you have wifi access. Apps can cost money, but there are free ones. Usually $1 or so each (no monthly-just that one cost). I did have to upgrade my software right after getting it for another $10 it alerted me when I tried to use it, so I would put aside $20 for incidentals just in case.

They're ok. SO tiny to read off of and impossible to type on, IMO, but useful to entertain myself or kids at doctor offices or when I need to get internet access and am not at home.

Finding wifi has been a problem for me, too. Everywhere we traveled there was almost no wifi without purchasing it or using your cc# like McDonalds. And there are NO wifi spots in here besides McD's I found out. That was disappointing.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 06-03-2010, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I have found the whole "free WIFI everywhere!" thing to be a myth where I live as well.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

OK, this might be dumb, but can it take pictures? Or how hard is it to transfer pictures from a digital camera?

Old 06-03-2010, 08:02 PM

I upload my pictures via iTunes on the computer which is kinda a pain, honestly, how it is set up. I don't think the new iTouches even take pictures (unlike the iPhone), but 2G and after have an external speaker which is very useful.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:15 PM

I love mine- typing on it now- but it does suck you in. Makes checking Facebook and forums way too accessible! Lol. My favorite apps are This American Life and Grocery IQ. The first offers on-demand streaming of all their episodes. I live to listen while I clean or cook (with ear buds of course since it's not always child-friendly). Grocery IQ I really enjoy for creating store-specific shopping lists. You can organize by aisle and rearrrange the aisles to match your stores. Best of all, it syncs with DH's Touch so I can add something from home and he can update his list and make stops on his way home from work! Works better for us than our previous email-texting method!

Of course, I also have plenty of music and audiobooks loaded too. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

Mama to my beautiful boys born 6/29/06, 7/29/08, & 11/09/10.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:28 PM

DH got me one for Mother's Day, and it's true you do get sucked in.

There's an app that shows where all the free wifi spots are near you....quite a few where I live.

It does not take pictures, but I didn't find putting pictures onto it from my computer very difficult.

The free Kindle app is awesome. Reading webpages can be a little annoying, but it's not that bad really. Typing isn't bad in small doses, but I wouldn't want to write a long email with it.

Games are free/cheap and so very addicting.

Overall, I love it. Probably too much.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:47 PM

The Kindle app IS very awesome!

Also, if I ever get the nerve to start the Couch to 5K thing, there's an app for that!
Old 06-03-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Yeah, it's the mini computer on the go part that appeals. It would be really handy to keep data like a calendar available. I'll have to keep thinking about it...
It's an iPhone without the phone (or camera). You can use it on your wireless network at home. Great alarm clock! I'm deactivating my iPhone ($80-85 a month is too much!) and have gone to a Tracfone. I found on the Apple website how I can use my deactivated iPhone 3G as an iPod Touch! The iCal app is great.

If you have DSL through AT&T you can use wi-fi hotspots all over the place (McDonald's, Starbucks, etc.) for FREE. There's tons of them. That's what I did when I traveled last summer and was in a place where there wasn't a good AT&T data network signal, and so I surfed on wi-fi.

lady.gif
Old 06-04-2010, 12:21 AM

I love mine. I only have 8 apps, but I use them a lot! C25K, yoga, white noise, sleep program, period/fertility tracker, free books...

We have wireless at home. If you don't, or can't, maybe not worth it. I was getting my oil changed today, free wi-fi there. Free wi-fi at the hospital when I was pg with the twins. Free wi-fi at hotels when travelling. Free wi-fi at most cafes or coffee bars. So I do get a lot of use. Most of the apps are fully functional without Internet service. I have to download books while I'm in range, but can read them anywhere.

Yeah, I've been assimilated.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
Old 06-04-2010, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

We have wireless at home. Another reason I wanted one was to post pictures when the babies were born, buut maybe that won't work?

Old 06-04-2010, 12:29 AM

The current itouch doesn't have a camera, but I heard that the upcoming version will. Then you'd be able to upload pics instantly from the hospital. Not sure when it will be released, though.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
We have wireless at home. Another reason I wanted one was to post pictures when the babies were born, buut maybe that won't work?
With iPhone, you can email or text pictures to people, but you can't post them to the web, unless you have Flickr or Picasa (Google), I believe. And you might have to have a special app for that. Not sure. Unless you're thinking about posting pics to Facebook, which you can do from iPhone (and other smart phones). Not sure if you can text pictures to FB.

lady.gif
Old 06-04-2010, 01:32 AM

I am in love with mine. McDs/Panera have free wiFi where I live as well as the whole downtown....

I just fell in love with free podiobooks although I normally download books on CD that I get from my library. Best gift dh ever got me!!!
Old 06-04-2010, 05:14 AM

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post
Don't go down the rabbit hole! Don't go down the rabbit hole!
Ha! So true, so true!

Quote:
OK, this might be dumb, but can it take pictures? Or how hard is it to transfer pictures from a digital camera?
It is fairly easy to transfer the pictures. I pop folders into Itunes from my laptop and then sync my Itouch. No camera in it.

I am smitten with my Ipod Touch and I am NOT a techy/gadgety person at all.

I bought it because we were on vacation and needed to have email access. The place we were staying had WiFi but I didn't want to take a laptop. The touch would great for email but I think it would be frustrating for heavy-duty typing needs.

DS loves to look at pictures on it and I downloaded a few educational games for him to play so it make a GREAT toy for sitting in a restaurant.

I am addicted to podcasts. Listening to podcasts while cleaning up the house is the BEST! Some of my favorites are This American Life, The Moth, The Crew Lounge, The Sporkful, The Kitchen Sisters. All these are free. You can either download them or listen over Wifi.

We don't watch a lot of TV at home so last time we travelled, I purchased the entire season of a favorite TV show. What a guilty pleasure!

I really don't do too much web surfing with it. We have a cabin in a remote area and there is a social club with wifi. When we go there, I will check the weather and maybe drop my mom an email. for those purposes it is fine but any more than that, I think it would get frustrating.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Old 06-04-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34me View Post
I am in love with mine. McDs/Panera have free wiFi where I live as well as the whole downtown....

I just fell in love with free podiobooks although I normally download books on CD that I get from my library. Best gift dh ever got me!!!
I must know, how does this work? Do you put the books into Itunes?

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
Old 06-04-2010, 02:14 PM

Dh has a touch and I am going to get one. It is awesome for reading on at night as an ereader as it is back-lit (unlike every other ereader). I can read and not wake up the 2 kiddos. I am always trying to steal it at night so I figured I should just get my own.
It comes in handy as a child entertainment device if you need one. DH keeps some Little Bear episodes and a movie or two on there for DD. Music, of course. Mothering.com.

It's great!

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
Old 06-04-2010, 02:35 PM

I have an I-Touch and I-phone and Both hubby and DS have I-touches and hubby just bought himself an I-Pad last weekend.
So yeah...I love them. I had the Itouch first then got the phone. It is great for photos, I have audiobooks for me and movies for DS as well as music and a gazillion apps

My drive to work is 30-40 min each way in good traffic so I listen to audiobooks on it all the time....I have an attachment for the car...or else I have my headset in one ear...

Oh I find it no big deal surfing the web either. I got the i-touch when DS was only a few months old....it came in handy when it seemed I was nursing non-stop 24h a day....much easier than balancing my laptop on the couch (which I did anyway).

The I-phone has a camer and it takes decent pics...not amazing...but decent it you left your camera at home.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
Old 06-04-2010, 02:46 PM

I take mine everywhere. I take meeting notes in it, manage my calendar, read, play games. I even listen to music. Personally, I would wait until the new one comes out.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:55 PM

I would have never bought one...I'm not techy & would've never thought I needed one. However, we all got one at work as a holiday gift. I love it!

It is great for the kids when we are stuck somewhere and they can play games.

It has a notepad on it...so i no longer write notes/lists on paper and then loose them!

You can email a note/list from the notepad to your email or someone elses.

It has the ICal to keep track of all your appointments.

There are a lot of cool apps...some just for fun, but also a lot of helpful ones for organizing daily life.

I do wish I could get internet anywhere...the Iphone is much nicer in that you can look up driving directions & online info anywhere. Also a camera would be great.

My DP has a refurbished IPhone & hasn't had any problems with it...it's a good way to save some money.

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmiss'mama View Post
I do wish I could get internet anywhere...the Iphone is much nicer in that you can look up driving directions & online info anywhere. Also a camera would be great.

My DP has a refurbished IPhone & hasn't had any problems with it...it's a good way to save some money.
The cost of the iPhone itself usually isn't the problem. It's the monthly charges. With the lowest cost voice plan, $5 for 200 texts, and the data plan you HAVE to have, I was paying $80-85/month. That's a LOT. I'm single, so no family plan that might reduce the cost.

lady.gif
Old 06-04-2010, 03:34 PM

Also, they don't support flash, so keep that in mind if you look at a lot of flash sites or rely on them for anything. That is a huge PITA I hope they fix.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
Also, they don't support flash, so keep that in mind if you look at a lot of flash sites or rely on them for anything. That is a huge PITA I hope they fix.
I wish "they" would just stop creating flash-based web sites.

My techie DH says the trend is moving away from flash-based sites, so it is more likely they won't be an issue eventually due to that versus Apple changing. Besides, flash-based web sites are an issue with most/all phones, not just Apple handheld products.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 06-04-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
SO tiny to read off of and impossible to type on, IMO, but useful to entertain myself or kids at doctor offices or when I need to get internet access and am not at home.
not impossible, just takes a bit of practice. And you have to be okay w dropping punctuation and capitalization.

Our laptop died a couple days ago and the baby doesnt let
me use the computer while hes awake, so here i sit on the couch reading mdc on my ipod. We have our own wifi network, so thats not a concern

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 06-04-2010, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouso View Post
Dh has a touch and I am going to get one. It is awesome for reading on at night as an ereader as it is back-lit (unlike every other ereader).
Is this the iPad or the iPod Touch you're talking about? It seems like the iPod Touch is so little to use as an e-reader.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 06-04-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
Is this the iPad or the iPod Touch you're talking about? It seems like the iPod Touch is so little to use as an e-reader.
It's perfect for me - I use it at night in the dark all the time (I change the background color to black, though, so it's not as bright and bothersome to DH). I'd say it shows several sentences - to a whole paragraph at a time. That's all I really need to see at once, you know? Even with speed reading, I don't need to see 20 sentences at the same time... in fact, I think I read faster being able to glance at smaller chunks at once w/o being distracted by the rest of the text. If that makes sense.

My most favorite app is definitely Kindle. The last several books (including the one I'm reading now) have been free downloads.

User Tag List