Imagine your life at 100... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 06-04-2010, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to a yoga class and something the instructor said has stuck with me. I will take a few minutes now and really think about it.

Imagine what you want your life to be like at age 100. Now work backwards to the present and figure out what you need to do now to achieve that goal.

At 100
I would like to be alive!

In your 90's
Living in my own home. Going for daily walks. (DD said she would help take care of me!)

In your 80's
Sell the country home and move back into my little bungalow in town. Going for daily walks. Reading and writing stories. Gardening and home cooking.

In your 70's
Live in the country. Walk, bike, lift weights, core training. Read and write stories. Gardening and home cooking.

In your 60's
Live in the country. Walk, bike, run, lift weights, core training. Running craft related, home based business. Gardening and home cooking. Read and write stories.

In your 50's
Rent out my current house and buy a house in the country with fruit trees and a big garden. Walk, bike, run, lift weights, core training, triathlons. Gardening and home cooking. Running craft related, home based business.

In your 40's
Taking care of my family and myself. Walk, bike, run, lift weights, core training, triathlons. Gardening and home cooking. Running craft related, home based business.

In your 30's/The present for me
Taking care of my family and myself. Walk, bike, run, lift weights, core training, bike racing. Gardening, home cooking and crafting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 06-04-2010, 09:30 PM

I'm not sure if I want to be alive when I'm 100 years old. I've always figured I'd die at age 86 - not too young, not too old. Sounds like you have a good plan to live that long, though.

Momma to my beautiful blessing pinktongue.gif (Nov '08) and two Spirit babies angel3.gif (Dec '09) and angel2.gif (July '10)

#3 of 18 Old 06-04-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Moo Martin View Post
I'm not sure if I want to be alive when I'm 100 years old. I've always figured I'd die at age 86 - not too young, not too old. Sounds like you have a good plan to live that long, though.
funny enough, I always thought I'd die around 84. 100 seems too much for me as well.

I'd like to be one of those people that they say about, "Wow, she was just working in her garden the day before!"

I just want to be active enough to be able to take care of myself, the house, and a couple of pets. Would be nice if I could still enjoy reading, although I could move into the audio books as a fall back plan.

Anyway.. I often think of my life when I'm old. Is that weird?

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#4 of 18 Old 06-04-2010, 10:35 PM

My Grandma will be 97 in August and she still lives alone and up until last year she still drove her own car! She has a younger friend who takes her on his motorcycle (it is the only thing in the world she will wear pants for). She is awesome! I hope I have some of her long-living genes in me

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#5 of 18 Old 06-05-2010, 12:15 AM

I have some long living genes in me. My great aunts made it to 93 and 96. They were in reletively good health and were very independent. I hope I can make it that long.
#6 of 18 Old 06-05-2010, 12:31 AM

That is awesome. Sounds like you have a great plan! My Great-Great Aunt lived until she was just a few months away from turning 100. She crocheted a blanket every single week and donated it to a hospital right up until she died. She was all about giving back to people and she was just an amazing person. She really inspired me.

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#7 of 18 Old 06-05-2010, 10:06 AM

Sounds like a plan!
Bring on 100+
Last Oct DH's gran passed away at 90. A few years back a star had lived to 82 and hubby said well that's not too bad he had a good long life. Her response was "it's not too bad unless you are 82". So true...it seems a far way off but when you have passed that mark or are approaching it you view it in a different light.
My great grandfather was weeks short of 100. Until months before he walked daily to his bridge club.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#8 of 18 Old 06-05-2010, 01:15 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have no desire to live that long.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#9 of 18 Old 06-05-2010, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
I have no desire to live that long.
My Grandpa passed away a few years ago at 78 and during a talk with him he said in disbelief, "It just all went so fast."
#10 of 18 Old 06-05-2010, 11:00 PM
A&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisApril View Post
My Grandpa passed away a few years ago at 78 and during a talk with him he said in disbelief, "It just all went so fast."
I have the beginning stages of Glaucoma at 38. I'm sure I would be blind by 100. No thank you.

#11 of 18 Old 06-06-2010, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have the beginning stages of Glaucoma at 38. I'm sure I would be blind by 100. No thank you.
My daughter was born blind. She doesn't give up.
#12 of 18 Old 06-06-2010, 01:07 AM

I'm not sure I want to live to 100 either.

My grandparents are 93 and 94. Up until a year ago they were in wonderful health, lived in the house they raised their children in. They ate well, walked every day, had friends and were involved in a multitude of organizations. But in the last year, their health has seriously declined and it's so hard to watch. My grandmother has had increasingly invasive medical procedures, and it just keeps getting worse and worse. The last time I saw her, she was completely incoherent. I sat with my grandfather and I couldn't believe it when my stoic grandpa broke down in tears because his wife of nearly 70 years had turned into someone he didn't recognize.

If it means that I'll end up with dementia and unable to care for myself, I don't think I want to live to 100. I have several relatives who have lived into their 90s, and I know it's been hard for all of them to continue on after their spouses, friends, and children have passed away.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#13 of 18 Old 06-06-2010, 01:09 AM

Quote:
I totally get that

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#14 of 18 Old 06-06-2010, 01:30 AM

My daughter and I were just talking about our goals in life. She said her goal is to live to 110. So we tlked about the things we do every day that can help her achieve that. We get daily exercise, fresh air, eat lots of fruits and veggies and avoid processed food. We laugh and talk and read and create. I think it's worth thinking about the quality of life as we age and what we can do not only to live a long time but to make it worth it.
#15 of 18 Old 06-06-2010, 01:53 AM
Banned

i teach this in yoga class too.

at 100, i want to be able to live independently (but i don't have to be living independently--i might live with family, or in an ashram or some such), do my daily yoga (including my head stands and hand stands and the like), and be happy and healthy.
#16 of 18 Old 06-06-2010, 02:40 AM
A&A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisApril View Post
My daughter was born blind. She doesn't give up.
No offense to your daughter or anyone else blind. But truthfully, I'm just going to feel like I've lived a long, full life way before I get to 100, anyway.

It's certainly fine for people to have the goal of living to be 100--my grandpa almost made it. But the flipside is fine, too -- wanting to die happily long before 100.

#17 of 18 Old 06-06-2010, 03:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'd love to live to 100 if I'm healthy! I'm a pretty boring person... I would just like to take care of my family, maybe have one more baby in my early 30s, play with my grandkids, keep working until about age 60 (I do medical transcription from home and lovelovelove it), volunteer in some capacity (probably helping moms & kids), and have a peaceful life in the country.
#18 of 18 Old 06-06-2010, 03:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Yeah, call me a wimp, but (at the not-so-old-and-wise age of 23, at least) 70 sounds plenty. My body and mind aren't exactly in supermodel mountain-leaping razor-sharp condition at this age... and sometimes I like to depress myself by thinking it all goes downhill from here. OK, it's not strictly true, I'm sure I could be in far better shape/health at 30 or 40 if I actually went on a Regimen of some kind... but still. If it weren't for grandchildren, I'm not sure I'd want to stick around once the decline became noticeable and more or less foregone. I didn't cope terribly well with my body's changes after pregnancy - you'd have thought my stretch marks made me into Quasimodo - so I can't imagine dealing gracefully with wrinkles, sagging breasts, broken hips and fading vision. (I have body image issues.) Plus, there's something unnerving about the thought of getting to such an age that people viewed your death as "Oh well, she was old". I want mine to be a tragedy, dammit.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page