Are there any non-toxic tattoos?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-29-2010, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Argh I'm getting frustrated! After much googling, I have deduced that all tattoo ink is toxic, containing heavy metals and other nasty stuff, and it doesn't seem like anyone is offering non-toxic tattoos. Surely there is a market for non-toxic tattoos! I'd certainly be willing to pay more to not inject carcinogens into my body.

Am I missing something? Has anyone found a tattoo artist that actually uses safe ink? If so, please tell me who they are, I'm willing to travel!

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2010, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Darn if anyone knew how to get a non-toxic tattoo, it would be you Mamas! I'm so bummed because I really want to get one, but I just can't do it if they have all that crap in them.

Are any of you tattooed Mamas concerned about this? I got a tattoo years ago before I knew about the toxicity of the ink, but there's not much I can do about it now. Maybe if I wait a few more years they'll come up with something.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:57 AM

Nope, didn't even think about it and I have extremely sensitive skin and a sensitive body. I get more worried about exposure to the sun than tattoo ink.

My main concern would be with technique, tools and quality of ink used. I chose to instead minimize my risks by finding a quality tattoo artist who shared the same philosophical views as I did about tattoos. (versus one who just wanted to make money and tat as many people as they could or just for "coolness" factor)

We are exposed to carcinogens every day and there is no way to avoid everything. Therefore I figure I could live in a bubble, let it rule my life or just live my life without stressing about it too much. My tattoos are pretty important to me and tell a story, so they are worth it for me.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:15 AM

I know there was a mama on a recent-ish thread about tatooing in tao who mentioned her DH was a tattoo artist and I think said he used non-toxic ink.

I agree with kristine that it's impossible to avoid all carcinogens (and I don't try, such as loving slightly burned food sometimes, (like marshmellows) or smoked/slightly charred food.) That said, when it comes to chemical carcinogens, and carcinogens in general, I think reducing exposure is very important, so it's a balence.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
Old 07-01-2010, 01:26 AM

I think the point of the tattoo is not to have the ink go anywhere. It stays put over long periods of time, and hopefully, that minimizes your exposure.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 07-01-2010, 12:30 PM

if you are really freaked out by it and can't find an alternative, but still really want some body art, you could consider scarring.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:02 PM

If you're really anxious about it, start looking for studies that examine the safety of tattoo ink.

IMO you're much more likely to be in danger from toxic chemicals in food, or via cosmetics, or through polluted air or water.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 07-01-2010, 02:54 PM

A friend of mine mixes her own non-toxic inks. I am planning on getting a tat from her soon. She lives in far west Chicago burbs.

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
Old 07-01-2010, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apricot View Post
I think the point of the tattoo is not to have the ink go anywhere. It stays put over long periods of time, and hopefully, that minimizes your exposure.
True....

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledutch View Post
if you are really freaked out by it and can't find an alternative, but still really want some body art, you could consider scarring.
My dad would flip out. Not that I need his permission, but I think that would seriously upset him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
If you're really anxious about it, start looking for studies that examine the safety of tattoo ink.
I'm pretty sure there aren't any, which is part of the problem. The FDA doesn't even regulate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Natural_Mom View Post
A friend of mine mixes her own non-toxic inks. I am planning on getting a tat from her soon. She lives in far west Chicago burbs.
Well I'm in CT, so probably too far for me.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine233 View Post
We are exposed to carcinogens every day and there is no way to avoid everything. Therefore I figure I could live in a bubble, let it rule my life or just live my life without stressing about it too much. My tattoos are pretty important to me and tell a story, so they are worth it for me.
I agree with you, and I want to feel this way about tattoos. It's just hard because there's no way of knowing the effect the ink could have on you (that I know of). This tattoo is really important to me as well, it would be a memorial tattoo for my brother, and I've been wanting to get it ever since he died 3 years ago. I've been waiting till I'm all done nursing, but now I'm not sure if I'll feel comfortable getting it even then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelet View Post
I know there was a mama on a recent-ish thread about tatooing in tao who mentioned her DH was a tattoo artist and I think said he used non-toxic ink.
I'll have to look that up.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:05 PM

This page gives a few suggestions on places to look for non-toxic ink
http://www.inkedblog.com/archives/20...can_i_get.html
Old 07-05-2010, 06:47 PM

If I had known what was in much of the ink, I would not have gotten mine. I got one of the worst colors (purple). sigh.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 07-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
If you're really anxious about it, start looking for studies that examine the safety of tattoo ink. .
There won't be any studies. Not just because there is no one to fund it but until recently, tattooing was a purely fringe pastime. There weren't enough people inked for long enough to even relate any health hazards to tattooing.

If a 70 year old sailor develops a health concern, no one is going to look at his 50 year old tattoo and make a link.

We'll find out from here on in what is and isn't safe as far as ink based health issues go because the current 18-40 generation are the tattoo loving guinea pigs.

It might turn out like amalgam fillings or hair dye or aluminium based deodorant...

"Custom will reconcile people to any atrocity."
Old 07-06-2010, 03:27 AM

Is there a list of which colors are "better" and which are "worse"?

Resistance is futile Matey
Old 07-06-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Natural_Mom View Post
May I ask who the artist is? Thanks.

autismribbon.gif

Old 07-06-2010, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thystle View Post
Is there a list of which colors are "better" and which are "worse"?
This looks like a good article.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:21 AM
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliaceae View Post
This looks like a good article.
From a natural living and toxin avoidance POV, that list is horrific.

From a 'we eat McDonalds for every meal 7 days a week and who says Coke isn't a food group" POV, that list is horrific.

I'm surprised more MDCers aren't more vocal and I'm surprised that the posters on this thread with tattoos aren't freaking out about the cadmium (for starters) they are absorbing day after day after day.

"Custom will reconcile people to any atrocity."
Old 07-08-2010, 11:35 AM

I think black looks safest.

I would be much more worried about the artist's skill and hygiene than what was in the ink though. But I also drink an occasional coke (used to be daily ) and enjoy an occasional fast food burger so my opinion may not count.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieB View Post
I think black looks safest.

I would be much more worried about the artist's skill and hygiene than what was in the ink though. But I also drink an occasional coke (used to be daily ) and enjoy an occasional fast food burger so my opinion may not count.
Exactly.

I can obviously only speak for myself, but as a lifelong and serious collector of tattoo art the positives far outweigh any negatives. Most reputable tattoo artists mix their own inks and should gladly tell you what's in them.

Here's another link about tattoo inks: http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Tattoo_ink

autismribbon.gif

Old 07-09-2010, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
From a natural living and toxin avoidance POV, that list is horrific.

From a 'we eat McDonalds for every meal 7 days a week and who says Coke isn't a food group" POV, that list is horrific.

I'm surprised more MDCers aren't more vocal and I'm surprised that the posters on this thread with tattoos aren't freaking out about the cadmium (for starters) they are absorbing day after day after day.
I am concerned about the toxins, but it's not like if you have a tattoo you're absorbing whatever is in it day after day. For example, if you have a tattoo with 1 microgram of lead in it....worse case scenario, the entire microgram of lead travels through your bloodstream the day you get your tattoo. Or best case scenario, it stays put and you never absorb any of it. Or you absorb a little every day for the rest of your life, but it's only a tiny amount every day. Did that make sense?

The tattoo I have now is black, so I'm not too worried about that. I might get another one in black, but even if the pigment is safe, the carrier solution could be toxic. I'm going to try to find someone local that mixes their own ink or at least knows what's in it.

User Tag List