Question for those that moved out of state - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-13-2010, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So how long did it take you to fully adjust?

I've moved out of state before but I didn't want to live there so I thought the long adjustment period was due to that, since I always fighting it.

This time I am where I want to be. Or I thought I was, but I'm really surprised at how hard it's been to adjust. I love the weather, but my routine is completely messed up and I can't find products I'm used to and I am surprised that the *home* feeling I was having has slipped away and I just feel confused.

I don't want to move back to where I was, but I'm also not really here yet either.
#2 of 11 Old 07-13-2010, 12:23 PM

I've moved a ton and I love it. It really depends a lot on a person's personality, I think.

Are you are church/synagogue/temple/mosque goer? that is usually our first point of connection with other people. Have you posted in your new Find Your Tribe? Maybe a playdate with your new neighbors is in order.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#3 of 11 Old 07-13-2010, 12:32 PM

It's taken me about a year+ each time and I've changed states a lot.

Keep going and give it some more time, eventually things should start falling into place.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#4 of 11 Old 07-13-2010, 12:34 PM

It has taken me about a year. I'm okay with that time frame though. I got used to the city itself in a couple of weeks, but had to get accostumed to triple digit weather in October, so that was something else. Anyway, once I unpacked the stuff I needed in a couple of weeks, I felt pretty much at home.
#5 of 11 Old 07-13-2010, 12:36 PM

It takes around 2 years for me to feel really settled in an area. I've lived in my current house for almost 4 years and it feels more homey than any of the other places I've lived so far.

Gazing furtively at you from under my siggie!
#6 of 11 Old 07-13-2010, 12:38 PM

It's taken me about two years each move to find "community" and start to feel at home.
#7 of 11 Old 07-13-2010, 12:46 PM

nak

i could've written your post in 2006. I took 1 year before i felt settled, and another year before it felt like home. now almost 4 years exactly, it feels sooo good and the transition period is totally worth it!

Wife to dh and mommy to dd1 (3/07), ds (1/10), and dd2 (any day now)!

#8 of 11 Old 07-13-2010, 03:12 PM

About a year each time.
#9 of 11 Old 07-13-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artichokie View Post
I've moved a ton and I love it. It really depends a lot on a person's personality, I think.

I would also add that feeling passionate about where you are does help a lot ! When I moved to Colorado I fell in love with it within the first 48 hrs and still miss it often. However I have been in New Hampshire for 3 yrs and even though I know the area well and love many things about it, I am not "at home" here.

Allison~~ Mommy to 4 amazing troublemakers Newlywed to David Throwing in the towel on Fertility treatments after TTC for 5+ yrs. Simplifying our life in anticipation of cross country move in 2011
#10 of 11 Old 07-13-2010, 07:07 PM

For me, 18mos - 2 years. We moved almost exactly two years ago, and we've now got a church, some friends, a set of places we like to go and things we like to do, a pool, a lake, a bike/running path, etc. I've done lots of good work in our garden and we're getting the house to look like we want it to.

We don't have good activist connections, enough friends, or enough like-minded people in terms of politics, and our neighborhood is fairly sleepy; I'm not sure I'd choose the same location if I had to do it over. But it's feeling basically pretty good, even if it's not my dream town.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#11 of 11 Old 07-13-2010, 09:17 PM

I have to say, I was really suprised when I saw that you'd moved to your current location. My instinctive feeling was that this is not a good match for you. I was suprised to read how much you liked it.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page