No- they are ugly and no one should wear them! 60 22.22%
Other 18 6.67%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-25-2010, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hear/read occasionally about people who "hate crocs." Why? I get that some people think they're ugly and don't want to wear them, but why would they care if other people wear them?

Or are those people the exception, and most people are either pro-crocs or just don't care?

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2010, 06:25 PM

I personally find them uncomfortable. I also feel like they look sloppy. IMO, unless they're a job thing (ie at the hospital), or on little kids, then I feel like they should be relegated to the backyard, walking around the house etc. But then again, they're also just shoes, and everyone has a different style. I'm just saying personally, I don't find them a 'nice' option. I think an outfit looks more complete with say flip flops, or an easy slip on or something. I do find myself cringing when I walk by someone in the mall or such wearing jeans and a decently nice shirt, and then I glance down and they've got crocs on.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 07-25-2010, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I don't like them for myself, they aren't comfy or my style, but for my kids and dh I like them. Dh doesn't wear them out ever though.

I think old ratty sneakers are a much worse choice and LOTS of people wear those! lol

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
and another A due July 2015!!!!
Old 07-25-2010, 06:38 PM
Dar

I think they look like something little kids would wear to the beach... they just look kind of ridiculous for everyday wear, to me. Like if people started wearing their (fugly) bathrobes out on the street.

And yes, they are ugly too.

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Old 07-25-2010, 06:45 PM

I checked it, no profanity, but a little harsh, sure. But.... I'd say this is why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkz3BxAyFFQ
Old 07-25-2010, 06:48 PM

Oh, gosh.

Dar said it well.

They are silly. On the one hand, they are plastic, which is fine if you're into waterproof. I have a pair of garden shoes myself.

But on the other hand, they have holes.

So why the plastic? Why? The bright colors that don't match your clothes, the fact that you have to shuffle in them like clogs but unlike clogs they are not versatile, the fact that they are just fugly, I mean why would anyone ever wear something like that?

I don't care what other people wear. I don't care if they DO wear their pyjama bottoms and Crocs and sports bras and bathrobes to Target. Do. Not. Care.

However, they are still one of the worst fashion trends humanity has ever endured and they look like clown shoes... like the shoes the stupid clown would wear.

Oh, and people say they are comfortable. For that money you could buy a pair of Naturalizer shoes that is stylish and versatile and made you look like an adult, but you spent it on molded, non-waterproof plastic. Why?

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 07-25-2010, 06:51 PM

I don't care.

I think I want a pair for the cottage though. They are convenient for wearing in the lake.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
I don't care.

I think I want a pair for the cottage though. They are convenient for wearing in the lake.
See? That's exactly the kind of use they should have.

Out in public, at the mall, doing your shopping, walking down the street... maybe not so much.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 07-25-2010, 06:55 PM

I don't wear them because I don't own any, though I have been toying with the idea of getting some for a while now...

But I bought a pair for DD and she loves them!

I don't think they're particularly 'cute' or 'ugly', but then I really don't care much about shoes (I have very big feet for a woman, so generally my only concern is whether or not they fit without killing my feet.)

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
Old 07-25-2010, 07:04 PM

Well, I don't walk up to people and say, "wow, I really hate your shoes," but I think we all have fashions we don't care for even though no one is forcing us to partake in them personally. Hammer pants anyone? Bedazzled acid washed denim?
Old 07-25-2010, 07:11 PM

I like 'em. I don't care what any of you say!

I think they're cute. I haven't worn them in a while, though. But I wear my fleece lined winter ones all the time when it's cold. They got me through my pregnancy, for sure.

If they were cheaper I'm sure I would have had them in every color.

They're awesome.

So there! Nah-nee-nah-nee-nah-nah.

It looks like I'm all alone in that particular vote on the poll, though.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
Old 07-25-2010, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
I like 'em. I don't care what any of you say!
me too! I don't have an opinion on whether they are cute or not though. It never occurs to me to see shoes as "cute" or "ugly" lol.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:35 PM

I started wearing them when I had a heel spur. They were the only shoes that did not leave me crying at the end of the day. So yes, I still wear them, as I am on my feet a lot. I don't think they are cute, but man, they are so comfortable. I don't care what other people think, though, my self confidence is pretty high right now.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

Old 07-25-2010, 07:38 PM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevaMajka View Post
It never occurs to me to see shoes as "cute" or "ugly" lol.
Really?

I am not so into shopping and girlie stuff, but even I am not immune to the lure of cute shoes...

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Old 07-25-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
I think they look like something little kids would wear to the beach... they just look kind of ridiculous for everyday wear, to me. Like if people started wearing their (fugly) bathrobes out on the street.

And yes, they are ugly too.
What she said.

I've never tried on a pair of crocs, much less owned any, so I don't know if they are super comfortable - but to me, they would have to like massage my feet and make me float to convince me to wear them.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not even very good at "matching" my clothes. My friends in high school used to tease me about it, and I don't think I've gotten better... I try sometimes, I just don't have that knack. lol.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:43 PM

I don't use myself. My kids love them. I don't like there is plastic material, but we're spend most of our time barefeet, so it's not such a big deal.

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love
Old 07-25-2010, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I don't hate them, but I don't think they are cute, and while it's nice that they're light, they twist around a lot and they rip the skin off my feet if I don't wear socks, so I don't find them comfortable.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What Dar said.

...and the bedazzled acid wash/hammer pants thing too except not as amusing. My ds wears them and so does dh sometimes. Makes me cringe. I have a pair of Chaco leather flipflops that are incredibly comfortable and don't look ridiculous. Don't get me started on the weird toe shoes my dh just got. I refuse to be seen in a restaurant with him wearing those things.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:01 PM

I love me some crocs!!! I need to get a new pair as I wore thru the bottoms of my last pair. I have arthritis in several joints in my feet, have had multiple surgeries on my feet, and a heel spur. Crocs (and airwalks) are so very comfortable and leave me able to function after a day on my feet.

Honestly, I find some of the high-heel/platform/flip-flops to be more hideous, yet each to their own. Don't much care what other people wear on their feet - just leave mine alone.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:04 PM

My ds#1 got 4 free pairs at a lacrosse tournament at the beginning of the summer. We are local to the company though . He wears them after a long day in cleats or skates. He would never wear them "out" though. My dh does and I try not to go with him, he looks nerdy enough.....
Old 07-25-2010, 08:06 PM

I voted other.

I had a pair of maryjane crocs one year and initially they were comfy but they totally destroyed my feet- I never had such dry/cracked heels! I do have a pair of knock off croc flip flops that I wear to the lake/beach cause they can get wet.

Crocs are ugly as can be but I don't care what anyone else wears.

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
Old 07-25-2010, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Eh, they make my feet sweat so I wouldn't wear them but they are good for kids at the pool, etc just because you can wash them without ruining them. They're also the only shoe dh can wear without having them altered to the tune of $85 because his legs aren't the same length. Go figure.

So...ugly but not usefull and not on my radar to notice on others.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:13 PM

while i wouldn't call them ugly, they're definitely not my style. that said, they are useful to me when i'm doing yardwork. that's the only time i wear mine. (and i got the cheapcheap knock-offs, so i feel like i got my money's worth! )

christina

meafro.jpg, and dhyikes2.gif, -- parenting joy.gifsince 2004, and bouncy.gif since 2007.
"IF YOU ARE NOT OUTRAGED, THEN YOU ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION." signcirc1.gif
Old 07-25-2010, 08:18 PM

I love them. They are much more comfortable than any sneakers for all-day walking (like at an amusement park).

I'll start caring what people think about how Crocs look when fashionistas finally stop wearing those hideous Ugg boots that cost 5x as much as Crocs.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Old 07-25-2010, 08:21 PM

They are pretty much all I wear. I don't go for the bright colored ones - navy, brown, and black are what I have. But they are really the only shoes I find comfortable. I don't give a rat's ass how they look, to be honest.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:21 PM

And, honestly, I find most shoes to be ugly.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:28 PM

I bought a pair when I was in Disney, even my most comfortable sandals (birks) were killing my feet by the end of the day and the crocs were so comfy, I bought a pair. My feet thanked me.

But yes, I find them ugly.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 07-25-2010, 08:29 PM

I like them for my kids. Easy, comfy, even my not-yet-two year old can put them on herself, easy to clean, and they float. Oh, and the real, brand-name Crocs are antibacterial so their feet don't stink.

For myself--eh. I have a pair that rescued me from a weekend in the city where I stupidly packed only high-heeled boots. But now I only wear them for swimming/running around the yard.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
Old 07-25-2010, 08:36 PM

I think they are ugly as all get-out...

but I am 8 months pregnant and they are the only thing I can wear and guarantee my feet do not end up stuck in them from the swelling.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.

User Tag List