Smartphone that can replace home internet connection? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-27-2010, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have one? From what I can gather using a phone internet connection hooked up to the computer, like the iphone or a droid, would be slow compared to what we're used to. But I want this to work somehow so we can get smartphones budget wise

:::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2010, 07:09 PM

I live in an area with few internet availabilities so using our droid works quite well for us. If you are looking to save the money, waiting a bit longer for a page to download might be something you could get used to.....?

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

Old 07-27-2010, 07:14 PM

I have the HTC EVO and I have barely used the computer since getting it so, I think it could replace the home internet.

Mom to Iris and Henry
Old 07-27-2010, 07:15 PM

Do you mean you no longer need a computer st all and would use the smartphone for all your email/message board/etc needs? If you give us a better idea of what exactly you want it to do, we can brainstorm with you.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:06 PM

Some people use their smartphones to surf the internet. But it sounds like you're talking about buying a hot spot that will broadcast a WiFi signal. There are dedicated hotspot devices, as well as phones that can function as a hotspot. Either way, you pay extra for this capability. I have a HTC evo with Sprint. My phone can function as a hotspot, but I'd have to pay about $50/ month in addition to my regular charges to use this function. I haven't used it as a hotspot, so I can't comment on speeds. However, I've found that its a bit slower for me to surf on my phone than it is for me to surf on my laptop at home where I have DSL. I'm waiting to see if that changes when 4G comes to my area.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofgrace View Post
Do you mean you no longer need a computer st all and would use the smartphone for all your email/message board/etc needs? If you give us a better idea of what exactly you want it to do, we can brainstorm with you.
I mean a droid or iphone that hooks up to the computer and is the internet connection for the computer. If it worked we could cancel our comcast and put that money toward the monthly smartphone fee. I don't want to give up the big screen and memory of a desktop completely. The iphone has a tethering option to do this, but it seems like a phone connection would be slower. We like to watch streaming netflix and youtube alot so it would need to be a good connection

I checked out virgin mobile's site and they have a 300 minute talk and unlimited internet and messaging plan for $25 a month. I think we'll at least do that sometime in the future if we don't find something else.

:::
Old 07-27-2010, 10:05 PM

OP: I would check the fine print at T-Mobile because the below is how I've always understood Piggybacking phones to computers to work. The $25 might only cover the phone. To not get technical -- using it the way you are describing is more expensive because you'll pull a lot more of the wireless network's resources to a computer than you do a phone. So they will likely charge you more before it will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annethcz View Post
Some people use their smartphones to surf the internet. But it sounds like you're talking about buying a hot spot that will broadcast a WiFi signal. There are dedicated hotspot devices, as well as phones that can function as a hotspot. Either way, you pay extra for this capability. I have a HTC evo with Sprint. My phone can function as a hotspot, but I'd have to pay about $50/ month in addition to my regular charges to use this function.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

User Tag List