Are you radical? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-18-2004, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you radical?? Well are you?? Are you the most radical person in your group of friends? I don't just mean in a parenting sense, but in your world view.

What do you consider to be radical??

*btw, I don't mean radical in 80's slang*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2004, 02:43 AM

I feel Radical. I think Im Radical.

I am very political & outspoken.

I march in Rallies, I participate in a very progressive UU church, I am against this shitty war.

Old 03-18-2004, 02:44 AM

I don't think so but dh thinks I am. I'm sure if anyone here really knew me they would think I was too. But this place is what mainstream was in 1950.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
yes :LOL
Old 03-18-2004, 02:50 AM

I'm just the nut out of the group I guess....

radical to me is just living life the way you want? i have always been a rebel.. my mom had to hammer shut my bedroom windows.

I like to do things the hard way kwim?
Old 03-18-2004, 02:50 AM

of course i am.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:44 AM

sigh. i think i'm just the most normal, rational person i know. i guess i am in some alternate universe. but in this universe i am a quiet, low-profile radical whose ideas, on the rare occasion they are expressed, tend to so flummox my neighbors and aquaintances that the conversation dies an awkward and early death.
i'm definitely living in the wrong part of the country... probably the wrong country entirely!
Old 03-18-2004, 04:06 AM

:LOL
Old 03-18-2004, 04:54 AM

I'm radical...

...and...

I'm like, totally radical in that, like, 80's way too.

Old 03-18-2004, 12:52 PM

I don't think of myself as radical. I just think others are too lazy and apathetic.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

yeah a short definition of radical for me would be someone that thinks for themselves. But I don't think that many people do it. I don't know, I just find that I don't understand most people.

Starting to wonder what happened to the radicals that challenged WHY people think what they do. Where is joyberryjoy?? We need more people like her.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ummm... sorta....

Probably the most radical thing about me is that I belong to an Open & Affirming church where everybody is truly welcome and encouraged to participate as much as they want to. Some Christians consider us heretical & damned to hell even!

I'm not really outspoken or pushy and I haven't been to a good protest rally lately. I figure since I can only change the world a tiny bit at a time, I'll just keep chipping away at it in little bits & pieces.

My biggest crusade is about feelings & emotions & thinking/reflecting on your life... gotta know what you feel - gotta know who you are inside and why you are the way you are and know what you can change and know what you can't. I always challenge people who say, "I don't know" I say "Yes, you do - somewhere deep down - you already know."
Old 03-18-2004, 01:13 PM

I don't know, you tell me.

I'm a unassisted birthing, extended breastfeeding, babywearing fool.

I dress "normal" only because I've noticed people are more receptive when I appear to be sane. But, I do love putting on a sarong and tank top, with my hairy pits and legs showing.

Somebody just made a comment the other day that I'm a little hung up on The Vagina Monologues. Yay! I'm stuck on protecting women and girls from violence! I take part in community service on a regular basis, raising money for women's shelters, teen runaway shelters, food banks, toys for tots, etc. I volunteer reading to underprivileged kids, and dancing with senior citizens! I support other fundraising attempts for education, AIDS, cancer, and premature birth. I'm going to participate in a gay pride march in a couple months.

I am VERY loud and VERY opinionated. As I've said several times, I'm a nursing student, and am going to get my Masters in Nurse Midwifery, Doctorate in Nursing Science, and a degree in Public Health Law. I'm involved in student government at my college.

I'm going to meet with some members from congress in less than a week and a half to discuss higher education and the federal PELL grant. Anybody have anything they'd like me to say?

I am the only "radical" person in my area. Therefore, some of my radical ideas are a bust. Say, Project One Voice. Pffft. Vagina Monologues. Pffft.

Every mother I know has given birth via cesarean. So, that whole unassisted birthing thing makes me even more of a nut. Oh, and my children are the only non-vaccinated children at their school... EVER. Not only am I extended nursing, but for the first many months of my son's life, I breastfed with the Supplemental Nursing System because of a medical condition (breast hypoplasia) that keeps me from breastfeeding exclusively.

So, am I radical enough for you (she says wearing a paisley print yoga pant and cami showing the pit hair, with bare feet)?
Old 03-18-2004, 01:28 PM

Journey - you go grrrrlll!

Hey - i've got pit & leg hair, too!
(never occurred to me that it's radical-for me it's just lazy.)
Old 03-18-2004, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Journey
I don't know, you tell me.

I'm a unassisted birthing, extended breastfeeding, babywearing fool.

I dress "normal" only because I've noticed people are more receptive when I appear to be sane. But, I do love putting on a sarong and tank top, with my hairy pits and legs showing.

Somebody just made a comment the other day that I'm a little hung up on The Vagina Monologues. Yay! I'm stuck on protecting women and girls from violence! I take part in community service on a regular basis, raising money for women's shelters, teen runaway shelters, food banks, toys for tots, etc. I volunteer reading to underprivileged kids, and dancing with senior citizens! I support other fundraising attempts for education, AIDS, cancer, and premature birth. I'm going to participate in a gay pride march in a couple months.

I am VERY loud and VERY opinionated. As I've said several times, I'm a nursing student, and am going to get my Masters in Nurse Midwifery, Doctorate in Nursing Science, and a degree in Public Health Law. I'm involved in student government at my college.

I'm going to meet with some members from congress in less than a week and a half to discuss higher education and the federal PELL grant. Anybody have anything they'd like me to say?

I am the only "radical" person in my area. Therefore, some of my radical ideas are a bust. Say, Project One Voice. Pffft. Vagina Monologues. Pffft.

Every mother I know has given birth via cesarean. So, that whole unassisted birthing thing makes me even more of a nut. Oh, and my children are the only non-vaccinated children at their school... EVER. Not only am I extended nursing, but for the first many months of my son's life, I breastfed with the Supplemental Nursing System because of a medical condition (breast hypoplasia) that keeps me from breastfeeding exclusively.

So, am I radical enough for you (she says wearing a paisley print yoga pant and cami showing the pit hair, with bare feet)?
Journey,

Your my hero I wanna be like you when I grow up
Old 03-18-2004, 01:39 PM

*whispers*I'm republican. Do you still love me?
Old 03-18-2004, 01:51 PM

Quote:
*whispers*I'm republican. Do you still love me?

Hmm, I think I can let that slide, not everyone can be perfect j/k
Old 03-18-2004, 02:00 PM

Old 03-18-2004, 02:04 PM

of course I am.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:15 PM
Joi

I'm radical.................... I'm fringe.............. I'm a freak................ I'm an eakfrey.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I don't know
Quote:
Originally posted by Bippity
Yes, you do - somewhere deep down - you already know
Old 03-18-2004, 05:47 PM

:LOL :LOL :LOL
Old 03-18-2004, 05:49 PM

i thought i was. then america (almost) elected bush. and then bush appointed ashcroft.

these guys have re-defined radical, i have no idea what i am anymore, lol.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

hmmm I'd think if Bush and Co were included the thread would have to be are you facist?

Old 03-18-2004, 06:02 PM

Quote:
someone that thinks for themselves
yep that's me, but sometimes i'm a sheeple too.

heartbeat.gif

Old 03-18-2004, 07:30 PM

I consider myself to be a radical politically, but not so much personally even though I participate in nearly all the AP/crunchy revolutionary modes of behavior. I just know so many people who are way more radical than me personally that I can't say that I am. I told my husband about Compleat Mother magazine and said they were supposedly more radical than me & he asked how that was possible. My parents were pretty radical & my dad is still a revolutionary, but I think I've taken things a little further than they did/do though I consider myself to be quite pragmatic.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
Old 05-09-2004, 04:03 PM

thanks for thinking of me when you think of radical arduinna. i kid you not it brought a little tear to my eye when i saw that.

like utah phillips more or less says, freedom is something you assume...you act as if you are free and you wait for someone to try to take it away from you. the degree to which you resist is the degree to which you are free.

how am i radical? haven't thought of this in a while! i had unassisted birth last baby, and i step in with whatever means necessary when i see women and children mistreated in public. that seems like a good in a nutshell kind of description of my radicalness: both in private and in public.

i truly believe we as women and mothers have an extremely important responsibility to nurture and protect and that ethic radiates into everything action i take (at my best).

right now the most radical thing actively happening in my own life is a major withdrawal from and rejection of the economic coercion our society brings to bear on people. my husband and i and our daughter have been together every day since she was a few months old, working for ourselves in our own time. the thought of either of us leaving our home and hearth to make money with which to support and enjoy that home and hearth is a construct fundamentally flawed insofar as it does not provide a means through which to attain optimal social interaction, nurturing of children, ecological decision-making, sustainable lifeways, etc. i'm focussing on making the means of production and the life those means support more integrated and less discrete. fancy talk huh? but i am doing it--all things with LOVE-- and it feels like real radical freedom.

crying baby, much love,

joy
Old 05-09-2004, 04:16 PM

I don't know........ my beliefs are radical, but I am working for a certain place in my spirituality where I accept ppl for who and what they are and don't feel a need to change them. (Maybe that, in and of itself, is considered radical?)

I know, I know!!!! Please refrain from dredging up ogre posts of mine......... I said I'm WORKING on it! I'm WORKING on it! :LOL
Old 05-09-2004, 04:17 PM

As ppl whisper "hypocrite, hypocrite" gently to themselves.....
Old 05-09-2004, 04:24 PM

Where I live, I'm radical, but I'm not really. I just homebirth/ebf/leave boys intact.

User Tag List