Have you ever called 911? why? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 99 Old 08-15-2010, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious how many of the MDC moms have called 911.

I have. I saw a man get hit by a car (and the car drove off) and he was bleeding alot from the head. There were other people around...but they didn't call and they were laughing because "he was only a retard" (their words not mine). It was before cell phones, so I ran to a bar and called. (this was about 16 years ago.)
#2 of 99 Old 08-15-2010, 03:04 PM

Yes, many times when I was managing the domestic violence shelter. Mainly for an ambulance for my clients who needed medical attention and did not have a car. A few times when the alarm was set off at night. I also called once when my roommate had a seizure.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#3 of 99 Old 08-15-2010, 03:05 PM

I've called several times. From witnessing accidents to reckless driving. Hearing what sounds like people being hurt.
#4 of 99 Old 08-15-2010, 03:16 PM

Yes. About 10 years ago I lived in an apartment building with thin walls. My neighbors on one side were a couple who fought a lot, very loudly! One evening the guy threw the woman against our shared dining room wall - my clock on the wall was rocking back and forth on the nail due the force from her hitting the other side of the wall.

That was that, and I called the cops. They came out immediately. Turns out at least one of the other occupants of our building had called, too.

lady.gif
#5 of 99 Old 08-15-2010, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Yes, I broke my ankle once in my house and couldn't drive myself to the ER.

Also, I recently rented a vacation home, and the owner came in to show the house to a potential buyer. I had agreed he could interrupt my vacation, but he was 15 minutes early. My sister let the people in and I was just getting out of the shower and was wrapped in a towel. I would have had to walk halfway across the downstairs in front of 4 men. I am uber-modest so I asked them to step outside for 10 minutes so I could throw some clothes on but they refused. Yelling and screaming did nothing so I grabbed my cell phone and called 911. The men walked out, I apologized to the dispatcher, got dressed, and let them show the house.

Bring back the old MDC
#6 of 99 Old 08-15-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoS View Post
Just curious how many of the MDC moms have called 911.

I have. I saw a man get hit by a car (and the car drove off) and he was bleeding alot from the head. There were other people around...but they didn't call and they were laughing because "he was only a retard" (their words not mine). It was before cell phones, so I ran to a bar and called. (this was about 16 years ago.)
That is awful.
#7 of 99 Old 08-15-2010, 03:45 PM

No, never. I haven't called the non-emergency line, either.

That's not to say we haven't been exposed to situations that would warrant emergency services or policing - it's just that someone else has already called 911. We lived in low-income housing for a few years (off Colfax and and Federal, for those that are familiar wih Denver), so that alone meant drug deals, prostition, domestic violence, and car theft (mine included). I guess we are slower to respond than other neighbors were.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#8 of 99 Old 08-15-2010, 03:51 PM

Several times... and non-emergency line even more times.

911 was twice due to my grandma not being able to breathe or respond to me when I asked her questions (she has COPD and for a while I was living with her to do exactly that when my Aunt was not around, so grandma did not end up going through it with no one else home)

Twice due to witnessing violent attacks (one of the two times I was the victim and was chased with a knife... had to call 911 from the other side of the door while he was trying to stab through to get me...)

Once for a car accident that happened in front of my house.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#9 of 99 Old 08-15-2010, 03:51 PM

Me last fall.

Dh was seriously overworked, getting maybe 3 hours of sleep a night, dehydrated etc. He was in the washroom and complaining of stomach pain. I was in the kitchen and heard him quietly say "call 911" before I heard a thud.

I went in and he was on the floor, eyes wide open but completely out. The kids (2 and 4) freaked out.

I grabbed the phone, called 911 and then checked to see if I could find a pulse and to see if he was breathing okay. He was but it was so freaky to have him staring out me while unconscious.

He came to while I was on the phone but he still wasn't responding to me. He finally came to but was still acting odd. I managed to get him to the couch by the time paramedics came to take him away. He couldn't form sentences well and had trouble walking, while insisting he was fine.

He came back fine aside from a mild concussion and a fractured rib.

DD1 was not fine. She started googling "daddy's dead" and since then becomes hysterical whenever she gets an injury (mosquito bite, scrape, whatever).

The open eyes thing still freaks me out. I really thought he was dead for a moment. It was horrible.
#10 of 99 Old 08-15-2010, 04:08 PM

Lots of times. A few times because I heard someone screaming. A few times for car accidents that I witnessed. A few times for what seemed to be drunk drivers or drivers asleep at the wheel. Once because a building looked like it was on fire (flames shooting out of the roof); the operator told me they were burning off their propane tanks or something. Once because a group of ten or fifteen pre-teen boys were viciously fighting in the street. A few days ago I called because the fire alarm went off in our apartment building and 40 minutes later the fire department had still not responded.

I've never regretted calling, but I have regretted not calling.
#11 of 99 Old 08-15-2010, 04:09 PM

Not personally, but I have instructed another person to call 911. I witnessed a homeless man lose consciousness and fall down and start to seize. I asked a passerby to call an ambulance. I made him a pillow from my coat, asked him questions to keep him focused on me and asked him not to move and stayed with him until the ambulance arrived. Nobody else stopped to help. No one else seemed to care. It was very sad.

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#12 of 99 Old 08-15-2010, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Twice. Once I came up on a roll over on a rural road, this was back when everyone didn't have cell phones. A couple other cars had stopped but no one had a phone, I did so I called. And another time I was in a different city so I didn't know the animal control number but there was a dog locked in a hot car who was showing signs of distress.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#13 of 99 Old 08-15-2010, 04:28 PM

Yes but only 911 for major things. Domestic violence, drug overdoses, theft, etc.

I've never used the non-emergency line for anything. I'm just not the type to complain about loud music, or obnoxious teenagers, or that kind of thing. I prefer to handle small stuff like that in person, or just ignore it.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#14 of 99 Old 08-15-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
I'm just not the type to complain about loud music, or obnoxious teenagers, or that kind of thing. I prefer to handle small stuff like that in person, or just ignore it.
same here. We tend to just go about our own business. I really don't care if the neighbors are smoking pot - or growing it. Or the teenagers are having a party. I guess it's b/c we did those types of things, too, so we aren't very judge-y or worried, especially when something doesn't impact innocent people.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#15 of 99 Old 08-15-2010, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Yes, many times for work, once for a fight between two neighbours, once or twice for a VERY impaired driver... Non emergency many times for impaired drivers and a few other things. Like a previous poster, never regretted calling but did regret NOT calling. I wouldn't call for pot smoking or a small party... Stuff like that not... Unsafe and extremely illegal? Yes.

However there was one time I called 911 that makes for a GREAT story.

I was living on my own in a basement suite and my landlords often went away for 3-5 days (usually once a month) and this one time I knew they were away because I had been trying to pay rent and it was completely quiet upstairs...

I heard weird male voices and then a latter against the side of the house. It was like 9pm at night. I called my parents to see if they could come by (they live close) but they were away too so I called 911. By that point I could hear foot steps inside the house.

The police came immediately and about ten minutes later there was a knock on the door. It was the police and apparently my landlord had come home and forgotten his keys so he borrowed a latter from the neighbour and climbed in through a window. He came down later and apologized. He said he should have come and mentioned it to me but he didn't think about it. He was thankful I was aware.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30***35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#16 of 99 Old 08-15-2010, 05:12 PM

A few times. Once for a bad hit and run accident near our home. Once on a relative for domestic violence(not against me, but I could hear what was happening and so I called). And once on a highway because of a REALLY drunk driver that was swerving all over the place.

I have also called non-emergency a bunch of times, usually dog related.
#17 of 99 Old 08-15-2010, 05:26 PM

A few times. Wrecks that I've driven up on or seen out the window. Once because of dh's cousin who ripped his Achilles tendon open on a dirt bike.

Never called the non-emergency line.
#18 of 99 Old 08-15-2010, 05:28 PM

I called once because we had a fire in our dryer.

It didn't do damage other than the clothes & the dryer. Not very exciting, but it still sucked!

Erin - mama to my happy little guy, born April 09  kewl.gif

and my sweet baby, born July 12  babygirl.gif

#19 of 99 Old 08-15-2010, 05:33 PM

I called once last winter. It was super cold out here (for noVA) and several townhouses where I lived had burst pipes in their garages which set off the old school bell fire alarms attached to our buildings. DH and I were inside and I kept saying, "what is that noise? what is that noise??" and finally went outside and found that our neighbor (who was an idiot!) had left his garage door open and a pipe froze and burst. Water was pouring onto his boxes and garage stuff, so I called 911 (should have prolly called non-emergency) and knocked on his door. His car was in the drive, but no answer. The fire department came and turned off the water.

Worst part of this story is that for months he left all the water-logged stuff just sitting in his garage. We were so happy to move away from that guy!

Adrienne belly.gif - Loving my DHguitar.gif, our daughter Harper Emaline ROTFLMAO.gif (3/2011), and maybe a baby?? jaw2.gif (5/2013)

#20 of 99 Old 08-15-2010, 05:36 PM

I called once because the people up stairs were fighting - not just yelling - things were obviously getting thrown across the apartment. There were kids who lived there and though I didn't think any were home at the time, I couldn't be sure. Even if there were no kids, things sounded vicious. I figured if it wasn't violent yet, it was going to escalate to that point soon, and my kids were really upset by it. I knew I was doing the right thing, but it was a hard call to make. I heard the police show up, but I don't know what came of it because I had all the doors and window shut to try to block it out. The fighting stopped after the police left, btu I don't know if anyone was arrested.
#21 of 99 Old 08-15-2010, 05:42 PM

Oh, I also called a few times when I worked at a grocery store when people fainted or had seizures in the store.
#22 of 99 Old 08-15-2010, 05:51 PM

I called once when I witnessed a man hit by a car. Once when the neighbors' 3 yo was lighting off fireworks with the other kids and I was petrified he was going to hurt himself (it was fourth of July and no one came - apparently that's not an emergency). And once when someone was shot in front of our house.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#23 of 99 Old 08-15-2010, 05:57 PM

When I call non-emergency line its not to report people for like... loud music and what not.

Once was for a car accident I was involved in (no injuries and both cars were able to drive to a nearby parking lot to wait to fill out the accident report), once was to ask a question (my exhusband had broken into the apartment I was living in and took off with a bunch of my stuff) and once was because we had a tree fall across the alleyway by our house and take out a power line, just alerting them to go put up a road block on the alleyway (by request of the power company when we called them)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#24 of 99 Old 08-15-2010, 06:10 PM

I have called many times. Quite a few were for accidents, some for serious injuries requiring immediate attention, a few times for fires, a number of other times for people who were either pretty drunk or having serious medical issues and about to drive completely off the road, once for a handicapped man who's scooter battery died leaving him in the middle of traffic while people were honking and nearly hitting him (with two kids and being 6 months pregnant I was the only one who bothered to stop and push the poor man out of traffic ) and many other oddball-can't-even-believe-that-happened stuff.
#25 of 99 Old 08-15-2010, 06:22 PM

I have called a bunch of times....noise issues, accidents, domestic violence with neighbors, etc.

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#26 of 99 Old 08-15-2010, 06:37 PM

2x in the last few months, for dh. First time for excruciating pain, which turned out to be acute pancreatitis. Second time he passed out at the top of the stairs due to extremely low hemoglobin & massive internal blood clots shutting down all his organs. He wound up in ICU both times.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#27 of 99 Old 08-15-2010, 06:37 PM

Once last August when at midnight I heard my house alarm saying my back door was open. My husband was out of town and I was alone with four kids. My door didn't quite latch and someone pushed it open then ran down the alley.

:
#28 of 99 Old 08-15-2010, 06:58 PM

A couple of times.

I think I've actually called twice when I've seen people get hit by a car (two seperate times) and once was when there were some people arguing hard out. They sounded kinda scary so I called the police then as well.

It's complicated.
#29 of 99 Old 08-15-2010, 07:10 PM

I've called 911 any number of times. Car accidents, suspected impaired driving, babies unsecured in a car, domestic fights, bar-type fights, overdose. I found a homeless man dead in an alley once. That was heartbreaking. We used to have an apartment on a sharp curve on the road, with a telephone pole right at the curve, so we called 911 on average twice a month because someone was speeding around the corner and lost control, wrapping themselves around the telephone pole. I seem to be the nominated person to call most of the time, probably because I can save my nervous breakdown until after I'm done reporting the details, should a nervous breakdown be warranted. And I'm good with details. Like a PP said, I don't regret any time I've called. There are a couple times I think I should have called and didn't, and that I regret.
#30 of 99 Old 08-15-2010, 07:12 PM

I've never called 911 or the non-emergency line. I've been in some weird situations but when warranted, 911 has already always been called (like the time I was on a trip on the highway with some colleagues and we were suddenly surrounded/overtaken by a high-speed police chase).

Wait, I forgot...A friend and I called the campus police from an emergency call box once when we thought we saw a girl getting attacked at night. She and her boyfriend were just having a fight, but it seemed good that the police broke it up.

My fiance can't remember exactly but he might have called 911 a few times when he lived in a sketchy apartment complex in Baltimore. He witnessed a mugging, had a rock thrown through his window and helped his neighbors deal with a seriously mentally ill woman who was destroying her apartment and lighting it on fire one night.

His little sister once called 911 "just to see what would happen." She was big enough to know better (11 or 12). She hung up before they answered and so the cops were sent out anyway to see what was up. Everyone still gives her a hard time about that one!!

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page