No a/c in van-how to cope - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 08-22-2010, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Our van's a/c died and it will cost more to fix it than the van is worth, or we have. Buying a new van is out of the question at the moment as we have NO funds to do so.

Only the driver's side window works and rolls down.

I have to drive 2 hours or so there and then 1.5-2 hours back to a mw appointment tomorrow. The last few times have been HORRIBLE. Like, we feel on the verge of death in our 90+ degree weather with 70-95% humidity and sun.

I have nobody to babysit for me, dh is at work, nobody I know around here who can sit, no drop in sitter, so I have to take them. And it's 1 pm when we have to be there, so I can't avoid the midday heat.

What can I do to cool it down in the van for our trip tomorrow? Anything? We bring cold drinks, but they get hot rather quickly. Kids have tiny portable fan things, but I can't very well hold one while I drive.

Anything? Anybody?

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#2 of 31 Old 08-22-2010, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bring a cooler with ice and drinks for the kids and bungee a portable fan somewhere on the dash?

can you get one of these?
http://www.comforthouse.com/summerseat.html?feed=ysw

here are some car fans: http://www.portabreezefan.com/9012.html

or, do you know someone who could lend you their car for the day?

can you change the time of your appt?

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#3 of 31 Old 08-22-2010, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
idk where you are but can you look at the weather forecast and see if there is a day that looks less sucktastic and maybe reschedule? Have you talked to you mw to see if she may be able to come see you this visit (not likely tomorrow as its such short notice but soon)?

If those are completely not an option, do you have an insulated bag? Like for grocery shopping? I would take the drinks, and some in the freezer along with frozen cloths or cold packs and stick that stuff in the cold bag. Should thaw out some for your return trip.

Do you have some spray bottles to go with the fans?

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#4 of 31 Old 08-22-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post
bring a cooler with ice and drinks for the kids and bungee a portable fan somewhere on the dash?

can you get one of these?
http://www.comforthouse.com/summerseat.html?feed=ysw

here are some car fans: http://www.portabreezefan.com/9012.html

or, do you know someone who could lend you their car for the day?

can you change the time of your appt?
OOO! These are amazing suggestions, also agree with the pp about checking out the weather for a possible reschedule. Have you seen these? You stick them in ice water for about a half an hour and they stay cool for a super long time. I used to work outdoors and one of these would keep me cool for quite a while. Instant relief.
I wish you the very best of luck!

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
#5 of 31 Old 08-22-2010, 08:07 PM

Like those ice bands, I use water and a bandanna - wring out the water and tie loosely around your neck. this really helps

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#6 of 31 Old 08-22-2010, 08:12 PM

I tried to pull this nonsense off in 93 degree weather or 100 degrees with the heat index in an MR2 with two working windows and a black interior. It was craptastic.

I literally nearly killed myself, and that was with me chugging gatorade and two working windows.

Explain your situation to your midwife, she should understand. I can't imagine she'd want you and your kids suffering like I did.

I was on the verge of vomiting and passing out from the heat. Yes, I am also pregnant.

Not worth the risk.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#7 of 31 Old 08-22-2010, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

I can't really reschedule-our weather here will be like this for another month and she only does Monday appointments. No other times would be better, honestly, as the morning is just as hot lately and I can't wait until near midnight when it gets in the 70's-80's.

I like those suggestions! I'll have to stop at the store before we go and see what they have like the fan and seat cooler. My dd has a car seat massager, I wonder if it cools, too...

I don't know anyone who can lend me their car. We'd need seating for 3 car seats and a kid with a belt in the rear and me, and nobody we know has anything that seats enough.

#8 of 31 Old 08-22-2010, 09:44 PM

Are you higher risk? If not, I would seriously consider skipping this appointment all together, unless of course there are othe factors that would make that unwise ....

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#9 of 31 Old 08-23-2010, 01:38 AM

And if you were higher risk, I'd consider skipping this appointment for safety's sake.

With only one window open, there's no chance of a cross breeze. If you can get the car fans set up and ice and it feels tolerable when you aren't moving, go ahead and try. Maybe you can get the fan set up as a misting fan? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporative_cooler Give the kids spray bottles of ice water and have them spray at the fan and themselves?
#10 of 31 Old 08-23-2010, 01:55 AM

Can you get up and go in the wee hours of the morning when still cool, hang out at a local airconditioned mall until your appt. Go back to mall until sun goes down and then drive home? Be careful mama, not getting overheated and dehydrated is very important for you now.
#11 of 31 Old 08-23-2010, 02:03 AM

A spray bottle with ice water to spray on yourself and your kids lol

I feel your pain, we have no air in our van either and it isn't fun! We live in Iowa and it has been hot here with high humidity. But like you it is way too pricey to fix the air in the van. Once a week we have to drive a hour one way for my DD1's therapy.

Hope cooler temps get here soon!

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#12 of 31 Old 08-23-2010, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by homewithtwinsmama View Post
Can you get up and go in the wee hours of the morning when still cool, hang out at a local airconditioned mall until your appt. Go back to mall until sun goes down and then drive home? Be careful mama, not getting overheated and dehydrated is very important for you now.
No, it's in the middle of the country with no malls or anything around, and I would still have to drive back.

I am going to go get some of those fans and try it out. I saw somewhere about getting a bag of ice to put on the floorboard and running the fan and it should cool it pretty well, so I will try that, too. Luckily this should be the last trip like this for the year.

Thanks, everyone!

#13 of 31 Old 08-23-2010, 10:56 AM

I definitely agree with the spray bottle with ice in it.

And do you have any of the boob tubes? For sore engorged boobs? I find that they don't get as freezing as regular freezy packs do, so I used those at a festival for DD. I put them behind her in the carrrier. Obviously you can't put them behind your kids in the carseat, but they could hold them.

Another suggestion would be to take a change of clothes with you to the appt. You're likely to be sweaty and gross when you get there, and having to drive home like that will just make it that much worse. Might as well start the drive home comfortable.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#14 of 31 Old 08-23-2010, 10:56 AM

This sounds dangerous. I mean you wouldn't leave a dog in a car sitting in weather this hot, even with a window open. You all could end up really sick. I would just skip this appointment. You have plenty of time to "make it up".

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#15 of 31 Old 08-23-2010, 11:44 AM

I vote for skipping this appt. It's really pretty dangerous and I wouldn't want to do it.

I used a van with no a/c throughout the summer I was pregnant with #2. I'm in Houston, and lemme tell you it was HOT. I typically planned outings so I was home by 1ish, which made a huge difference in how tolerable it was. I made a few midday/afternoon trips which were absolutely miserable. I had 2 working windows, but with a van even then there isn't much cross-ventilation, especially to the back seat. The last month of my pregnancy fell in August, and I mostly stayed home. It was just too miserable to go out in that van.

If you have to go, I like the idea of the ice and the fan. I also made sure DS had a sippy cup of ICE water that he held while we were driving. It kept him cool and hydrated, and I'd stop to refill it if it began to get warm or empty.

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#16 of 31 Old 08-23-2010, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
i hope the weather watched out for you and gave you some cooler weather.

or you figured something out with your mw and could skip this appt.

and hopefully by the next appt you have a better arrangement.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#17 of 31 Old 08-23-2010, 02:43 PM

We have this problem in one of our cars. if it's an option-- see if you can leave the car in a shaded spot before the trip (like park it in the garage, or under a tree or what have you.) Leave all the windows open if possible.

Water for everyone, and in dallas you can literally get into a car with soaking wet hair and clothes and be dry before you get to your appt. I would really consider getting wet washcloths for the kiddos (and water to re-wet them). Also play around with the venting system in your car, even if the AC is not working. Try and figure out if the opening the vents to the outside air make you feel cooler or hotter.

Finally, pray for rain. We were out shopping yesterday, and it was 104 degrees at 7 pm. Why do we live here? My dream is to get rich and have a 'summer' home some where in canada.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#18 of 31 Old 08-23-2010, 03:00 PM

And when I start feeling sorry for myself, I just look at the guys working construction out the the road.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#19 of 31 Old 08-23-2010, 03:05 PM

Have you tried refilling the a/c stuff or will it not blow at all?

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#20 of 31 Old 08-23-2010, 05:22 PM

I'd reschedule for an early morning appointment. I've lived without AC in th desert before when mine went out on my old car and I purposely did everything very early in the morning to avoid the heat.
#21 of 31 Old 08-23-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
I can't really reschedule-our weather here will be like this for another month and she only does Monday appointments. No other times would be better, honestly, as the morning is just as hot lately and I can't wait until near midnight when it gets in the 70's-80's.

I like those suggestions! I'll have to stop at the store before we go and see what they have like the fan and seat cooler. My dd has a car seat massager, I wonder if it cools, too...

I don't know anyone who can lend me their car. We'd need seating for 3 car seats and a kid with a belt in the rear and me, and nobody we know has anything that seats enough.
skip the appointment or rent a car for the day then. I've had heat exhaustion before and it is nothing to mess with. I wouldn't even chance getting it while pregnant.
#22 of 31 Old 08-23-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
skip the appointment or rent a car for the day then. I've had heat exhaustion before and it is nothing to mess with. I wouldn't even chance getting it while pregnant.
i agree. our a/c went our in the middle of the mohave desert and it was 15. no humidity. we seriously all got sick. we had to stop at a target to wait until it got cooler.

we got back on the road when it hit 90ish and it was still not okay. my dh was driving and I was cooling the kids with wet rags on their heads and cooler drinks.

its not safe, i dont think, not without someone to cool the kids off religiously and keep an eye on them- and not while pregnant.

rent a car. or skip the appointment.

being pregnant, you could very easily pass out from the heat.

i almost threw up a few times, and IM not even pregnant.

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#23 of 31 Old 08-23-2010, 08:24 PM

I drove a car with no ac across the desert from LA to AZ in July once. We froze jugs of water beforehand and dumped them over our heads in the car as they melted.

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

#24 of 31 Old 08-23-2010, 09:54 PM

Hope all went well today....

#25 of 31 Old 08-26-2010, 06:23 PM

how did it go?

#26 of 31 Old 08-26-2010, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

It actually went fine. The heat there only ended up being 82 and we bought this huge fan for the van-it's the only one they had at the store. It worked pretty well, but didn't clip on as well as it should have. The ride home was much hotter though only 2 degrees hotter. We stopped and got ice cream at lunch which made it tolerable. Luckily the weather is cooling down so that is *the* last hot trip I am taking...hopefully ever! Thanks, everyone!

#27 of 31 Old 08-26-2010, 06:55 PM

Yeah! 82 isn't bad at all! I'm excited according to the weatherman, we are out of triple digits for the rest of the year, and I'm sooo excited!

#28 of 31 Old 08-26-2010, 11:20 PM

Our AC in the van needs to be recharged- and it;s just not in the budget right now. I just put down the front windows and call it good- yes, it's in the triple digits, but it really isn't so bad that I would let it stop me from going somewhere.

I do use wet bandanas on the kids to keep them cool, and it works well enough.
#29 of 31 Old 08-27-2010, 03:04 PM

that you're past the hot trips! : that something happens to get your windows and/or AC fixed though.
#30 of 31 Old 08-27-2010, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

No hope for anything getting fixed, but next year we do need a new van. So much wrong on this one and it will cost more to fix it than it's worth!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page