How do you feel about your fat? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-25-2010, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No, but it's because I know that my current size is not healthy for me. When I got pregnant with dd3 I was around 170 (about a size 10/12 depending on the clothes) and I felt great, I think it's a good size for me. I've been pregnant three times since her birth (she's 29 months) and it's taken a toll on my body, and I've gained 80 pounds :/ I'm NOT happy at this size, and it's not primarily about the way I look. It's about how I feel, and it's partly emotional knowing that a good part of it is from being pregnant back to back and losing two babies (one of which was ectopic and almost killed me, literally).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm about 30 lbs overweight and I don't like it. I know it's all from overindulging in starchy, sweet foods that are just too easy to buy and consume, so I don't feel good about myself for doing that, and I don't like the jigglies and pudge and lack of flexibility that come with the extra weight.

I'm losing weight, albeit slowly, by just cutting out all starchy and sweet foods and by exercising more (mostly weight training and intervals). Since January I've lost 15 lbs. I have observed a few things: first, it's really hard to eat food on the go that isn't starchy and/or sugary. Especially breakfast - the only on-the-go options are those I make at home. Fortunately, I don't need to do that more than once a week, but I can definitely see why a "breakfast sandwich" from a fast food outlet or a pastry and coffee are attractive options for people, even those who eat more or less healthily. Also, I noticed that our family - and many others, I suspect - tends to sleep in as late as possible, making it impossible for us to have breakfast together most days, or at all on days when I work. If we woke up when the sun rose, it wouldn't be an issue. And I drive more than I strictly need to - mostly an organizational issue, which I'm working on.

It's also arguably more expensive to avoid starch and sugar. Protein and veggies sort of cost more. I say sort of, because there are always exceptions and ways around that - I buy much of our meat directly from a farm, and even at $4.00/doz eggs are not truly expensive, and most of our veggies are purchased directly from farms and are therefore cheaper than the sad-looking things in the grocery stores - but I know I am exceptionally fortunate to be able to do that, and not everyone can. The other part of the "sort of" is the fact that the only reason that grains are so cheap is because they're heavily, heavily subsidized by governments. This started because governments feared famine and wanted to build a huge stockpile of food that would keep, but has morphed into a dangerously codependent relationship between government, big-ag, and food processors. It makes for cheap grains and grain by-products (like corn oil and HFCS), but that leads to unhealthy us.

Am I blaming the government for making me fat? Hell no. Pastries, bread and potato chips *taste* good, and I've known for a looooong time that starchy and sweet things make me chunky. I never bought into the "low fat" thing and I've always been extremely well-informed about nutritional issues. I've always had enough money to buy lots of vegetables and decent protein, and to be honest I've always eaten a decent amount of veg, by typical North American standards. But still, when stress or boredom hit, I would head for the cupboard or the bread box, not the veggie drawer in the fridge. It has taken me a long, long time to realize that I can't eat starches and sugars in moderation, and I need to just stay away from them. And in all likelihood I will succumb again at some point in the future. I just hope that it doesn't take me another 4 years to get out of it. It would, however, be a whole lot easier to deal with this if starches & sugars weren't so convenient, readily available, and cheap. And, I know if it's this hard for over-educated, privileged me, then it's probably next to impossible for people without financial resources, information, and access to fresh foods. Moreover, obesity is a complex problem and there are individual differences - some people's bodies react far more negatively to their diets and lifestyles than others, and in different ways. Some people develop insulin resistance, others full-blown diabetes - some with accompanying obesity, others without. And I have to say, I fully agree with Gary Taubes' assertion (backed by significant research) that obese people are not obese because they move less and eat more - they move less and eat more because they are obese. In other words, there is an underlying metabolic disorder that causes reduction in activity, fat retention and possible appetite increase - although Taubes' research also indicates that obese people do not, typically, eat more.

I don't fit the medical definition of obese, at just over 35% body fat - and I know that I do, under "normal" circumstances, tend to overeat. But I have friends who are obese, who are pretty active, and eat less than I do. So I think that there can be different mechanisms at work in different people.

That's a lot of rambling, but it all gets to what I think about fat acceptance. I think that at an individual level, it may be important to accept that in the circumstances many people find themselves, obesity is inevitable. On a cultural level, I think we need to focus on eliminating causes of obesity at their roots - which is dismantling the industrial food-production complex and getting us out of cars. I'm no wacky radical, I know this is next to impossible - but if that peak oil thing has any beneficial effect, it'll be to make farming input-intensive crops like grains (and the associated cheap, low-quality meats) distinctly less attractive to profit-motivated corporations. And then there will be fewer obese people - but unfortunately there will also be more dead people, because it's not like farming vegetables and and quality meats is going to get *cheaper*, it will just be less more expensive. I don't know that it's really an attractive trade-off, and I have little faith that despite the fact that it's currently possible to re-tool the food system to provide healthy foods at the same cost as industrial foods, that it will actually happen.

So...uh... I don't accept MY fat because I have the means to fix it and my problem is not really all that bad - the effort required to reduce my fat is not that great, and at this point in time, I don't find the process particularly onerous. I absolutely, completely accept the bodies of others, no matter what they look like - and I do NOT accept the idea that it is entirely within everyone's abilities and scope of responsibility to maintain a healthy weight.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Old 08-25-2010, 05:23 PM

I feel like I've earned my fat. (Most days).

I definitely love myself the way that I am. However, I want to focus on being more physically active and getting some more flattering clothes.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:14 PM

I've decided not to accept my body where it was. I was 125 pounds before I got pregnant with kid #1. Back down to 125 after kids 1, 2, and 3. After kid #4, I stayed at 160lbs for about three years. It's not a weight I was happy with. Between December '09 and now, I've gotten down to 133lbs and will probably get back to 125 soon.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 08-25-2010, 06:28 PM

Spughy, I just wanted to say that was a great post.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:28 PM

Thanks!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Old 08-25-2010, 08:32 PM

Some random thoughs on my body:

I think my fat is more a problem for other people than it is for me. What do they all want from me for goodness sake? I eat better than ALL of the thin people in my life. I excersise. Other people comment on my weight all the time but, I feel great. I am classified as obese. And I find it very interesting that the same medical community that that classifies me as obese, is the same medical community that shot me up with depo provera, which led to my obesity. I love that on my prenatal record from the Dr. the word obese stands out on it. What the heck is that going to tell you about anything? Like, oh I'm obese, so I must be a big, fat, unhealthy, slob with no idea about how to take care of myself?

Would I like the tight, sexy body I had in my 20's? Sure, why not? But that body also belonged to an alcoholic, drug using party girl who was constantly on "the make". So now, I have a few extra pounds on me, but I am leading a healthy, fulfilling life. I am so enchanted with life at this point . And there were many times in my past that I was very disenchanted with life. I do not find that my body gets in the way of anything I do/want to do. I really think the biggest problem I have is other people's eyes. So yes, I accept my body. But I am well aware that other people don't.

caffix.gif

Old 08-25-2010, 08:47 PM

I love myself the way I am. Like Magali, I eat WAY better and I am healthier than anyone I know. I know how to dress to accentuate certain areas and hide others. I don't flaunt my fat belly (well NOW I do because I'm 31 weeks pregnant!) I'm a size 18/20. The only time in my life I was thin/fit was up to the age of 18. I was a competition dancer and practiced and worked out literally 4-6 hours a day. If I could do that now I would be thinner, I'm sure. I've always been about size-acceptance and that goes for me too. I'm happy, healthy, and beautiful, no matter my size!

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

Old 08-25-2010, 10:18 PM

I accept my body post babies and all that brought (stretchmarks, different shaped belly etc).
However I don't accept being unhealthy. And carrying excess weight to me and for my body is unhealthy. And I can do something about that. So I don't like that I am about 20lbs overweight, that doesn't feel good to me and it does not make me happy. But until I make it a priority to change it, it is what it is. I don't complain about it, I don't cry about it, I don't diet all the time. I just don't really deal with it.

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:37 PM

I want to shed it.I have been loosing in hopes of lowering my bp. I hate being on multiple meds that barely control my bp. I have also seen a high/fast drop in my cholesterol number when I skipped meats and juiced a lot.

If my health was fine I doubt I would be to concerned about losing so much weight,but would still eat better and work a lot around the yard. I don't know about my sizes(tag cutter) by I was 205 and am at 175. I will admit it IS nice to try on cloths that has not fit in a long time and have it fit.I hope to get to 160 to see how my bp is.I know at 140 I look TOO thin in the face,so regardless of the weight charts I won't go that low.

I remember with each pregnancy I gained 60 pounds! I lost 40 after my first,but not much after the second.If I got pregnant now,with these health issues I would have to birth in a hospital with an OB.Don't want to do that.

Once my health is good I will be content regardless of the number on the scale.

User Tag List