6 hours in Paris...WWYD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 08-24-2010, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you had 6 or so hours to kill in Paris, where would you go? What would you absolutely have to see?

DH and I will be there on a layover between trains basically. I would love to see the Louvre, but I don't think we have enough time. I went to art school, so art is my number 1 priority, but I'm open to other ideas.
#2 of 23 Old 08-24-2010, 04:56 PM

Gosh, it would really depend on what time the layover was, where the train station was located, how much baggage would have to be transfered (unless it's staying on the train), the time of year etc..

There are many things in Paris to pop in-n-out of, but getting there and getting back might be an issue cause of traffic...which can be horendous!

Sadly, the Louvre wouldn't be a good idea unless you just want a picture in front of it...once you get in, you won't want to leave that quickly!!
THAT would be something to be savored....::sigh::

Personally, I'd take a trip back to Notre Dame or the Arch de Triumph. Both can be easily admired from the outside and gotten into/out of fairly easy.

Center
#3 of 23 Old 08-24-2010, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

We are getting in at one station, traveling to another station to drop off our bags. It is this time of year, this Sunday actually.
#4 of 23 Old 08-24-2010, 06:26 PM

I can't remember the author but there is a travel guide that is time based..if you have 2 hours in X place..do this..if a day do that....Im sure if you google you can find it. Sounds like exactly what you need
#5 of 23 Old 08-24-2010, 06:43 PM
Dar

My daughter says to go to the Pompidou... if you like modern art. Less crowded than the Louvre or Musee d'Orsay, with a great view of the city from the top.

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#6 of 23 Old 08-24-2010, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We love the Musee Rodin. You may want to pick spot(s) which are in between the two train stations. Google for a good map of Paris and see what there is in between. Or, you could post the names of the stations and we could offer more suggestions

When will you be going? August and September are quite different, for example.

ETA - okay, I just noticed you said it's this Sunday. August isn't as bad as July, in terms of crowds, but many things have modified hours as that is the month French take off (though, sadly, that is changing) You may want to avoid places like the Louvre because of the summer crowds
#7 of 23 Old 08-24-2010, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
My daughter says to go to the Pompidou... if you like modern art. Less crowded than the Louvre or Musee d'Orsay, with a great view of the city from the top.
Oh, that is right up my alley. I love modern art. I have to check our train tickets to make sure our time there aligns with the museum hours, and if it is within a reasonable distance to get to. Thanks!!
#8 of 23 Old 08-24-2010, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

We arrive at Paris Nord, then depart from Paris Bercy.
#9 of 23 Old 08-24-2010, 08:11 PM

I was in Paris for two days some years ago, and my fondest memories are from walking through the city. I feel rushed in museums if I have limited time. Start with the Notre Dame, walk the shores of Seine towards the Eiffel Tower, maybe through Jardin des Tuileries / Louvre courtyard, cross some bridges, maybe take a boat tour.

I'd do googlemaps, and plan a couple of routes...

Have fun!

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#10 of 23 Old 08-24-2010, 08:36 PM

If I found myself in Paris for only 6 hours, I would find my way to L'As du Falafel in the Marais (an ooooold quartier in the center of Paris). They have, hands down, the best falafel sandwiches I've ever had, and the walk there and back, no matter how you get there, is a great snapshot of the best of Paris.
#11 of 23 Old 08-24-2010, 08:39 PM

I would... wander! Walk around and see the sights. It is amazing the neat little shops and the culture you can get by taking a walk.

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
#12 of 23 Old 08-24-2010, 09:06 PM

I agree with those who said just to wander. I lived in Paris for a year and never got tired of just walking and looking at the sites and discovering hidden treasures.

The Marais district is a really lovely area to explore.
#13 of 23 Old 08-24-2010, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

You know, I've been thinking about it all evening. I think wandering will be fun. I'll be seeing plenty of art in Italy, so it really isn't all that important. Plus it will our first day together in 9 days, so it will be nice to catch up. In PARIS. It sounds so crazy when I put it that way.
#14 of 23 Old 08-24-2010, 10:26 PM

It sounds very romantic! I hope you update, for all of us who may never make it to any country other than the one we were born in.

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
#15 of 23 Old 08-24-2010, 10:32 PM

The Rodin museum. Hands down my very favorite place in Paris - maybe anywhere. Beautiful sculpture and gardens - worth every moment spent there. Enjoy!!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#16 of 23 Old 08-24-2010, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Well, crazy update. It looks like my high school best friend and his wife (who is a Paris native) will be there when we are. So we might meet up with them. I haven't seen him in over 10 years!!
#17 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy View Post
Well, crazy update. It looks like my high school best friend and his wife (who is a Paris native) will be there when we are. So we might meet up with them. I haven't seen him in over 10 years!!
Cool!

Check with the native, but IIRC, I think Ile de la Cité and Notre Dame are going to be en route or very close as you are going from Nord to Bercy (if you travel on surface transportation, not via subway). You can quickly poke your head into Notre Dame without spending much time there. That's right across from the Latin Quarter (5ème Arrondissement), which is a really cool neighborhood if you have time to spend an hour there to people watch and eat. Have fun!!
#18 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 09:54 AM

A train ride through Paris and then on to Italy? I'm so jealous.

What part(s) of Italy? That's a beautiful country too...

Center
#19 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappilyEvrAfter View Post
A train ride through Paris and then on to Italy? I'm so jealous.

What part(s) of Italy? That's a beautiful country too...
Florence and Rome. I also get one day, all to myself, in Brussels. DH is there now. When I talked to him yesterday he said I am not going to want to come home. I can't wait!!!! But I'm starting to freak out about leaving my boys, especially my (nursing 1 million times a day!!) toddler who has never been away from me. I know it will be okay, but I can't help being a bit sad about that.
#20 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
Cool!

Check with the native, but IIRC, I think Ile de la Cité and Notre Dame are going to be en route or very close as you are going from Nord to Bercy (if you travel on surface transportation, not via subway). You can quickly poke your head into Notre Dame without spending much time there. That's right across from the Latin Quarter (5ème Arrondissement), which is a really cool neighborhood if you have time to spend an hour there to people watch and eat. Have fun!!
Making notes in my notebook! Thanks!!
#21 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 02:53 PM

Oh, how wonderful!!!!

I just came back from a week in Belgium. ITA, you will NOT want to come home!!

Have fun...and eat loads of chocolate!!!

Center
#22 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy View Post
Florence
Hey... we're going to be in Florence next month, too. In all my travels, including in Italy, I've never made it to Florence so it'll be a first for me. You'll have to update us on your trip when you're back home and pass on all of your tips... if you do come back home. (When we lived in Europe, Brussels was one of my favorite cities to visit. You WON'T want to come home!! )
#23 of 23 Old 08-25-2010, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!! DH is in the beer business, so you never know. Maybe our life path will lead to Belgium someday. If nothing else, DS has made us promise to take him. He says he likes sour things, so he wants to go when he can drink sour beer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page