Is this an age-appropriate junior bridesmaid dress? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 69 Old 08-27-2010, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
wait a minute. is something off with the pictures? the 2 pics on the bottom look like the wrong dress.?

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#62 of 69 Old 08-27-2010, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For this one, I'd absolutely put it all on the kid. I'd take her to the place, try it on, let her spin around, etc., and if once it was on it looked awful or she hated it or it really looked too trashy, I'd send a photo of her in it to the bride with the kid's concerns and see what happens. I think overall, most girls love that they get to fit in with all the grown up ladies and get to practice wearing fancy dresses, etc. Some I would absolutely draw the line at, but for the event and the family I have no concerns with this particular dress. If she's happy in the dress, then that's all that really matters.

SMC to dd 4/07.
#63 of 69 Old 08-27-2010, 05:56 PM

it is hard to judge without seeing it on, but at firs timpression i'd say my 7 yr old dd would not wear it, without keeping a shrug etc on the whole time.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#64 of 69 Old 08-27-2010, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't really like it for an 8 year old. I just don't think it's right for that age group I don't think anything that immodest about it, necessarily, since my kids might have bare shoulders on a summer dress, and my younger one might still run around shirtless; but that feels like bare shoulders for a different purpose--casual, for the purpose of being cool. This dress is clearly meant to be formal and has a design that will flatter or enhance an adult figure, which an 8 year old doesn't have. So the bare shoulders & back have a different meaning for adults in a formal setting, and it seems like just putting a child into a more grown up dress that makes them look more like miniature women like the other bridesmaids. I would prefer a dress that makes the junior bridesmaid look like a child, differentiated from the other bridesmaids, since there are limited opportunities to wear these kinds of fancy dresses, and childhood is so short. So I think it's more that I would be disappointed that they chose this kind of a dress. It can cover enough to be far from immodest, but would make her look more awkward than cute, IMO.

But who knows, maybe it could be altered to look really cute, and my daughter chose an Easter dress with wide straps, but that bared her shoulders when she was 9, almost 10. Then the next year a halter style dress, but she insisted on wearing a shrug with that, at least while indoors. Seeing it on a little girl, it's kind of cute, but I'm still not convinced. My kids have stomachs that kind of pooch out, and my 11 year old hates anything that has too much material around her chest like that, especially if it makes any part of her look "fat". But, you know, that's a completely different issues, and I hope other girls aren't as self conscious as mine is.
#65 of 69 Old 08-27-2010, 07:53 PM

I think it looks fine and I wouldn't have a problem with DD wearing it.

Is it the short version or the floor length version?
#66 of 69 Old 08-27-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post
i absolutely totally agree with you there.

i think that's the perfect compromise.

except i dont get it. why that colour?

i hope your girls have a BLAST!!!!
Have to agree about the color. Both of my DDs would have been majorly disappointed by the color at that age.
#67 of 69 Old 08-27-2010, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't think it's immodest. What is there to be immodest about in a girl who doesn't have breasts? OK, visible nipples might be inappropriate, but if there's no cleavage to enhance...

I've made DD shirred tops for summer that come under her armpits and have straps. I'd consider them immodest for, say, a 14-year-old (or me!), but on DD I consider it a total non-issue because... she's a little kid. Unlike a PP I don't think that dress is designed to flatter an adult figure; it's just bodice detailing. And the flat chest of a child is a really handy place to put bodice detailing, because you don't have to worry about fitting it around breasts.

So as long as the rest of the ensemble isn't screaming "wannabe adult" (overdone makeup, beauty pageant hair, high heels, sparkly necklace etc), I think it's fine. With flat ballet slippers and maybe a dusky rose bolero/shrug thing for the weather, I think it'd look innocent and cute and junior-y. Now, I wouldn't let my teenage daughter wear the adult version...

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#68 of 69 Old 08-27-2010, 10:10 PM

well the good news is that that color will make a GREAT fairy princess dress up (and halloween) costume. Just add some wings and a crown and you're good to go.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#69 of 69 Old 08-28-2010, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My issue with it is the spaghetti straps. If wider straps could be made with the extra material, I think it would be much better.

Gillian - Wife to an amazing DH, Mother to 4 wonderful kiddos . . . and now another on the way.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page