camping birthday party - idea & games help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-15-2010, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
so dd's bday party which is an overnight camping trip is on in a week and a half. she just turned 8.

so i need help. there are going to be anything from about 30 to 50 people (probably 10 or 15 kids ages 5 to 10).

we need one dinner, lunch and bfast.

i have never camped or organised anything on my own. so what do i do?

its going to be potluck.

so i thought we could break it up into pieces. some people be responsible for lunch and some for dinner. i have bfast taken care of. someone is bringing smores ingredient. for lunch the next day i thought we'd do sandwiches.

i am freaking out a little bit.

how do i organise this? what should i do as a host or organiser.

since this is one giant bday party and everybody kinda hanging together or doing their own thing like kayaking - when do i make the party. or what is the bday party? cake cutting time?

what games should we play for both kids and adults. the adult range is going to be from 20 to late 40s. no gparents. no family. just friends.

i might have bitten off too much than i can bite. but i felt bad coz we never got to do dd's bday party last year and she is my party girl.

any advice, thoughts, opinions most welcome.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#2 of 5 Old 09-15-2010, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Plan an actual party time with some games and decorations- you can get some inexpensive decorations at the dollar store. How about a scavenger hunt- make a list of things the can find or spot- pinecone, birch tree, frog, giant rock, squirrel... races like a three legged race or potato sack race, and spoon races- stuff like that. At the end of the games, serve the cake and then let everyone do their own thing. Depending on when you arrive and leave will decide when you have the party.

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#3 of 5 Old 09-15-2010, 08:16 AM

How fun! I think that would be a great party!

I wouldn't over-schedule, but I'd have a general progression of events in mind -

Pitch Tents
Playtime
Craft (decorate a pillowcase, maybe?)
Dinner
Campfire Songs
Smores
etc

You can have campfire songs in mind, and some non-scary stories to tell. Sparklers are always fun too. If you don't think people will have stories to tell, bring a couple of books to read aloud or for kids to read while they fall asleep.

Have fun!!

Jennifer
#4 of 5 Old 09-15-2010, 11:28 AM

You probably have too many people going to make this feasible for the actual birthday cake, but we went camping for dh's bday last year and baked a cake at our campsite with using a box oven (aluminum foil lined cardboard box) we made. It's super easy and I bet that at least the kids your dd's age will get a kick out of it as kind of a scout-ish project. We had limited cold storage space, so we got a Cherrybrook kitchen cake mix so we didn't have to fool with packing eggs, and we just brought a can of frosting. Here's a link to some instructions if you're interested

Box oven instructions
#5 of 5 Old 09-15-2010, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
so our checkin time is 2 pm. we have to do cake AND smores. and yet dinner time is clashing. so should we do party at 5 dinner at 6 and cake after dinner and then 8 pm smores? yikes that's a lot of sugar. i love the cake idea but i think i'm going to keep it for another day. we have some food allergies so we have 4 different kinds of cakes.

if i try to do bday party at 3 and cake at 4 is that ok?

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page