OMG! Remember the whole abuse/daycare thing that happened months ago?? ~~UPDATE post 18~~ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 09-17-2010, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got served with a subpoena to appear in court over it So much for it being confidential I've got to call them and figure out WTF is going on. She's STILL working at the daycare (I know because another co-worker just posted a picture on facebook with the worker in question holding onto one of the babies while in the daycare).

This is the thread.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#2 of 31 Old 09-17-2010, 02:30 PM

Holy Cow!

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#3 of 31 Old 09-17-2010, 02:30 PM

Oh man, you and court just keep finding eachother, eh? Sorry to hear you got served.

Maybe everyone got served?

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#4 of 31 Old 09-17-2010, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyRae View Post
Oh man, you and court just keep finding eachother, eh? Sorry to hear you got served.

Maybe everyone got served?
At least this time I don't have to drive 6 hours

This will make the second time this year I've been served and will probably be in court a 3rd time before the end of the year. Yeah, life's going just grand right now

#5 of 31 Old 09-17-2010, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

And I am SO glad I don't work there anymore (haven't since the first week of June). Now I have to dig around and see if I can find that mom's phone number again and see wth is up?

#6 of 31 Old 09-17-2010, 02:35 PM

I wonder if the mom of the child is suing the daycare and is using you as a witness? It's weird that you wouldn't do a deposition first or something if it was a lawsuit...

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#7 of 31 Old 09-17-2010, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I wonder if the mom of the child is suing the daycare and is using you as a witness? It's weird that you wouldn't do a deposition first or something if it was a lawsuit...
I don't think so. On the subpoena it says it's "XXX (name of girl accused) v. department for community based services". Oh, and it also says I'm being called "to testify on behalf of the cabinet for health and family services". So it's between them and the girl, not the mom.

#8 of 31 Old 09-17-2010, 02:40 PM

Ouch, that stinks. Hopefully everyone has to testify...if not, that really sucks that you are singled out since she will obviously know who you are and what you say when she sees you there.

#9 of 31 Old 09-17-2010, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That bites.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#10 of 31 Old 09-17-2010, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, so I called the number on the subpoena and got a little more info. Apparently it is an "administrative hearing", not a court hearing. So it's not even in a court house. The lady I talked to said that from the daycare there was me and one other woman called to testify (but she couldn't tell me who).

I need to call back and ask if the accused person will be there. I really hope not because I shouldn't have to fear for my families safety because I wanted to do the right thing

And on a different note.... I got home from picking up my ds from school and in the mailbox was more papers from the court stuff in Michigan. It's just my lucky day, isn't it? This stuff was only related to health insurance for my ds though, so no biggie (thankfully!!).

#11 of 31 Old 09-17-2010, 04:38 PM
Banned

i wouldn't worry about your family's safety. and if it is a hearing, then the accused is likely to be there.
#12 of 31 Old 09-17-2010, 05:27 PM
Banned

OMG, I just read your original post about this issue. OMG!!! And my husband was calling me paranoid when I told him (back when the kids were little) that there was no way I'd put them in daycare till they are old enough to verbilize if something bad going on. I mean, there are definitely plenty of child care people who are gentle loving and responsable (like you), but you just never know. How sad for those poor babies .

Please please please do testify, I wouldn't worry about your family safety, it's not like she is a part of some gang or something. Those babies need someone to stand up for them. Thanks for doing that!!
#13 of 31 Old 09-17-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yulia_R View Post
Please please please do testify, I wouldn't worry about your family safety, it's not like she is a part of some gang or something. Those babies need someone to stand up for them. Thanks for doing that!!

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#14 of 31 Old 09-17-2010, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What?! Wow, that is crazy.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#15 of 31 Old 09-17-2010, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yulia_R View Post
aww mama after going thru everything steph is not going to give up now.

i know its one more hassle for you steph. i hope she is not going to be there. but i am glad that this has gone this far.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#16 of 31 Old 09-18-2010, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post
Okay, so I called the number on the subpoena and got a little more info. Apparently it is an "administrative hearing", not a court hearing. So it's not even in a court house. The lady I talked to said that from the daycare there was me and one other woman called to testify (but she couldn't tell me who).

I need to call back and ask if the accused person will be there. I really hope not because I shouldn't have to fear for my families safety because I wanted to do the right thing

And on a different note.... I got home from picking up my ds from school and in the mailbox was more papers from the court stuff in Michigan. It's just my lucky day, isn't it? This stuff was only related to health insurance for my ds though, so no biggie (thankfully!!).
But it sounds like they're suing the (City? State? County?) Department, right? So your former employer/coworkers might not necessarily be there at the same time as you, right? Maybe you could even request that they not be.

Mommy to kids

#17 of 31 Old 09-18-2010, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuamami View Post
But it sounds like they're suing the (City? State? County?) Department, right? So your former employer/coworkers might not necessarily be there at the same time as you, right? Maybe you could even request that they not be.
Wait... is that what it means?? I'm new to the whole suing/court stuff (well, except when it come to custody issues). Is the first person listed suing the second person? If so, why would she be suing them? How in the world could she do that? And why am I involved?

#18 of 31 Old 09-30-2010, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

So, the hearing was today. It ended up being people from the state, the "judge" (I don't know if she was really a judge because it was an administrative hearing so it wasn't in a courtroom or anything but she was the person who would decide what happened), me, B (the woman accused of abuse), a translator for her, her lawyer (that the director of the daycare hired for her), the director of the daycare and the assistant director. It's a darn good thing I'm not working there anymore or I certainly wouldn't be working there after today! Since I got there earlier than anyone else I talked to the people from the state a little and they said they tried to subpoena the other woman I wrote about in the original post but she's moved out of the state so they didn't pursue it. After the opening stuff they had me, the director and the assistant director leave the room then called us back in one at a time to testify. They called me in first and basically just asked me a ton of questions. I got snotty with B's lawyer because he kept asking me all these stupid questions trying to lead me into saying things that weren't at all true. Anyway, after they were done with me they told me I could leave so I have no idea what happened after that. I'll keep my ears open though.

Oh, and when I was talking to the people from the state before the hearing started they told me that the daycare has been given some huge fines over this and that they are still very much investigating the daycare and that they are still doing surprise visits a few times a month and stuff. Basically hinting at the fact they are looking for any little thing to shut the daycare down for good. Unfortunately from what I hear from people who are still working there- it's not doing any good. There was (is?) still abuse going on, the assistant director and director are still ignoring it, etc. It's only a matter of time before they get shut down.

#19 of 31 Old 09-30-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
her lawyer (that the director of the daycare hired for her)
Ok, why in the world would the director hire a lawyer for that employee? I remember this coming up earlier in the thread. So fishy....

Quote:
I got snotty with B's lawyer because he kept asking me all these stupid questions trying to lead me into saying things that weren't at all true.
Hah! Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Asking the same question, 16 different times, 16 different ways to see if you will change your answer or will waffle and show doubt.

In a prior job, I used to testify as an expert witness and it would sometimes be comical how the opposing attorneys would try to trip me up. Some were just so bad at it. It was hard to get used to a first.

Rawrr! for you for doing the right thing and putting yourself out there! Good going!

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#20 of 31 Old 09-30-2010, 07:03 PM

Wow! I remember your original thread. I'm glad you aren't working there anymore. (I didn't know you left).

I'm glad they are taking a look at this place and hopefully it will get shut down. There should be absolutely zero tolerance and I am shocked at how they handled the entire thing.
#21 of 31 Old 09-30-2010, 09:02 PM

I am so sad to hear that there is still abuse going on there. These parents who send their kids there, trusting their babies are safe.

Thanks for still standing up for the kids. Hopefully one day it hits the news and people pull their kids out ASAP.

#22 of 31 Old 09-30-2010, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I am so sad to hear that there is still abuse going on there. These parents who send their kids there, trusting their babies are safe.

Thanks for still standing up for the kids. Hopefully one day it hits the news and people pull their kids out ASAP.
Speaking of it hitting the news - would there be a downside to contacting the media?

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#23 of 31 Old 09-30-2010, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caneel View Post
Ok, why in the world would the director hire a lawyer for that employee? I remember this coming up earlier in the thread. So fishy....
Yeah.... fishy is one way to describe it. She still works there too so director is probably helping employee because it would look *really* bad if employee is found guilty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah W View Post
Wow! I remember your original thread. I'm glad you aren't working there anymore. (I didn't know you left).
My last day was June 2nd I had a wonderful summer with my ds (I did 3 online classes but no classes on campus) so I was able to spend the whole summer with him Now I am back in school ft and I have a job as a sub para through the public school district, but haven't actually had any positions yet. So I haven't earned any money since June 2nd, which kinda sucks but... oh well. Life goes on

Quote:
Originally Posted by weliveintheforest View Post
Speaking of it hitting the news - would there be a downside to contacting the media?
I don't know. I've often thought of this but.... I don't know. I didn't want to do anything that would make the states job harder, ya know? But it will be interesting to see whether the news catches wind of this soon....

#24 of 31 Old 09-30-2010, 11:09 PM

oye vey. what is going on? everything is soooo fishy.

is that family still there steph. the one with the baby or did they withdraw and go to another dc.

oh man it sucks that they are still operating.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#25 of 31 Old 10-01-2010, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post
is that family still there steph. the one with the baby or did they withdraw and go to another dc.
Last I heard she was still there, but the mom was only keeping her there because she liked the infant worker who was with the baby most of the day (the other good worker I wrote about in the other thread). That worker quit at the end of July though so who knows what will happen now. I still can't believe she didn't pull her baby out that day. But.... whatever. Last I talked to her she seemed to be in denial and thought that since attention was drawn to the situation then everything would be better. She was terribly mistaken though. Last I heard there was a new worker in July who was caught (by the good worker) holding that same baby face down in her crib (holding the back of her head down) while the baby screamed and gasped for air because the worker was trying to get her to take a nap and she didn't want to The good worker told the assistant director that if they didn't get the new worker out of the infant room then she would be going to the state with that info. They pulled the new worker out of the infant room (and no doubt put her in a room without another worker so nobody could witness her doing anything inappropriate and tell on her).

Like I said, I've heard so much crap that's gone on since this whole thing started that it's unreal. It absolutely breaks my heart what these babies are going through and because of all the red tape and the process that has to happen, the state can't just walk in there and shut the place down. They have to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, abuse is happening. Looking back I wish I had video taped some of the abuse and just anonymously sent it to the state.

#26 of 31 Old 10-01-2010, 01:12 AM

omg steph that's terrible. it scares me to think of all the things they are getting away with. oh poor baby.

imagine if you hadnt made the report none of this would be getting out. maybe somewhere down the line. but not now.

#27 of 31 Old 10-03-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post
omg steph that's terrible. it scares me to think of all the things they are getting away with. oh poor baby.

imagine if you hadnt made the report none of this would be getting out. maybe somewhere down the line. but not now.
This is exactly what I thought when I read through this again. I don't want to imagine what it would be like if no one had mentioned anything was going on at all.
#28 of 31 Old 10-04-2010, 03:40 AM
Banned

that is yet another horror. i can't believe they wouldn't just get rid of her.

i mean, most people don't even want the suspicion of a problem, which would at least lead to a suspension of anyone discovered doing anything nuts. but, these people persist on with this woman, who clearly has some major issues with children, and whether or not she is found guilty, IMO, is irrelevant.

i mean, as a business owner (who does not work with children) if any of my contractors or employees were suspected of abusive or similar behaviors, i would suspend them until everything was cleared through (that is, they were found guilty or not), and from there, i would likely find some method of letting them go. just nuts.
#29 of 31 Old 10-04-2010, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
i can't believe they wouldn't just get rid of her.
This has had me scratching my head for months. A few possible reasons- the worker is an illegal immigrant so, from the info I've gotten, the director has been under fire from the state about A) hiring an illegal immigrant and B) having 2 workers in the infant room at the same time that neither speaks English. The director is fighting the state and claiming she's done nothing wrong with doing either of those things. If she fires/suspends the worker than that's cutting close to admitting she did something wrong by hiring her and/or placing her in the infant room that day. From the info I recently got the worker begged the director to let her quit right after this all happened and the director told her no. She told her that if she quit then the director wouldn't help her and wouldn't hire her a lawyer. The worker wanted (wants) to quit and just take her kids and run back to Mexico (where she has been sending back money to have a house built for them for a little while now).

I strongly believe the director is trying hard to cover something up.

#30 of 31 Old 10-04-2010, 12:47 PM

Ugh! That's horrible, what the new worker did - whatever the owner is/isn't trying to cover up, how hard is it to not abuse babies?!

Although it's taking way too long to shut this seedy place down, I'm so glad you said something initially. It's unbelievable what is going on.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page