Does your heart bleed for bugs in lucite? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 09-18-2010, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For Christmas I was thinking about getting some kind of small collection of bugs in lucite for DD. She is into collections right now, and already has this box filled with some seashells and rocks that she has accumulated. I wanted to maybe get some kind of 'treasure' box to put those things in and add some other nature-y items.

I was thinking like a spider and a beetle, maybe a butterfly. But, I was looking into this, and it kind of made me sad. Am I being wierd? I think it is cruel...but then I think, they are just bugs, DD will love them! I do think they are really cool.

I should say I hate killing bugs myself. One, because they give me the willies. And two, because it makes me sad. But, I do ask DH to kill them when I am too grossed out and can't think of a way to save them.

DH is away and it probably took me 5 minutes to actualize the death of a nasty silverfish in the tub last night. Normal people could have just smooshed him with a tissue and flushed him down the toilet. That is too personal for me. I decided to turn away while I sprayed him with some bleach. It was awful, I am still sad about it. But, I could not think of any way around killing him. :sad

How do you feel about killing bugs and suspending them in lucite in the name of science?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 31 Old 09-18-2010, 01:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If I could know they were not endangered species... I might be okay with it.
#3 of 31 Old 09-18-2010, 02:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
no. it is heart breaking in a way that that bug gave its life for no other reason than to look pretty on someone's mantle.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#4 of 31 Old 09-18-2010, 02:24 AM

The bugs don't bother me as much as, say, the bat does.

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#5 of 31 Old 09-18-2010, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
no. it is heart breaking in a way that that bug gave its life for no other reason than to look pretty on someone's mantle.
That is a good way to put it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan's mommy View Post
Yes, It really wasn't untill I saw the bat that I started to question myself.
#6 of 31 Old 09-18-2010, 02:33 AM

Yeah, that's a little creepy. If it was for scientific study, that's one thing. But just to have for a decoration? I don't know, and I am okay with having mounted deer heads and stuff. At least they were killed for the meat, hopefully.

I want to say that while I understand your aversion to killing bugs, I do think it's a little bit cruel to spray a bug with bleach, which is probably a much slower, and possibly more painful way to die. So while it may seem more personal to you to smash it quickly, it's not really about you, yk? I mean, while it is just a bug, if you are professing to worry about the bug's feelings, but still intend to kill it (which I do, too!), just doing it as quickly and humanely as possible is probably best.

Mommy to kids

#7 of 31 Old 09-18-2010, 02:34 AM

I would only be ok with it if they could honestly say the bugs died of natrual(ish) causes before they go to the people who make them.

I`m not a huge fan of killing animals for collections.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#8 of 31 Old 09-18-2010, 02:34 AM

I am over the phase of my life in which I idealized respect for life to the point of feeling personally pained for the sacrifices of every last little bird and bee. And gladly so. So no, my heart does not bleed.
#9 of 31 Old 09-18-2010, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuamami View Post
I want to say that while I understand your aversion to killing bugs, I do think it's a little bit cruel to spray a bug with bleach, which is probably a much slower, and possibly more painful way to die. So while it may seem more personal to you to smash it quickly, it's not really about you, yk? I mean, while it is just a bug, if you are professing to worry about the bug's feelings, but still intend to kill it (which I do, too!), just doing it as quickly and humanely as possible is probably best.
Yes, I know. I feel horrible. I am just soooo squeamish and it was so gross. I would feel just as bad smooshing it. But, you are right.
#10 of 31 Old 09-18-2010, 10:21 AM

I don't know anything about those particular insects, but my fiance pins insects and has a big collection of them. A lot of the ones he has were just insects he found dead already. He puts them in a jar with hot water so the steam loosens their joints and then poses them.
So there's a chance those insects weren't killed just to be put in lucite...

That being said, we're both biologists and see things like that (pinned or otherwise preserved critters) in more of an educational light than "oh, it's just there to look pretty."

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#11 of 31 Old 09-18-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
I am over the phase of my life in which I idealized respect for life to the point of feeling personally pained for the sacrifices of every last little bird and bee. And gladly so. So no, my heart does not bleed.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#12 of 31 Old 09-18-2010, 10:51 AM

We saw some at a craft fair last weekend, lady made them herself with bugs from her back yard. Of course, seeing as you have a problem with bugs I can see you not being able to do that, but it may make you feel better if you find somewhere else to purchase them where they were homemade and you can know how/why they died (that they weren't just farmed to be put in the Lucite but were found around the house... already dead or whatnot)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#13 of 31 Old 09-18-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
the bat one made me sad.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#14 of 31 Old 09-18-2010, 12:09 PM

Honestly I can say that dead bugs don't affect me other than I think they're a bit creepy overall.
#15 of 31 Old 09-18-2010, 01:23 PM

don't care
#16 of 31 Old 09-18-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineJ View Post
Honestly I can say that dead bugs don't affect me other than I think they're a bit creepy overall.
Yup. Really wouldn't want any of those in my house.
#17 of 31 Old 09-18-2010, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
Yeah, me too.

My only reason for not buying would be that bugs freak me the hell out. Dd1 is into them, though, I'd consider buying her one with the caveat that it has to stay in her room.

At any rate, I found this on their website-

Quote:
We do not sell/buy live insects or deal in any protected/endangered flora and fauna species. We are licensed by The Fish & Wildlife Service.
#18 of 31 Old 09-18-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
We do not sell/buy live insects or deal in any protected/endangered flora and fauna species. We are licensed by The Fish & Wildlife Service.
So they buy dead insects and bats? From where? I'm' really curious what the process is.
#19 of 31 Old 09-18-2010, 03:34 PM

well we have a collection of lucite bugs/insects that we got for the boys because I HS them and they love them. It has in a way made them more appreciative of bugs/insects around us (not sure if thats an oxymoron or not) but really they no longer have the desire to capture every bug they see and basically love it to death because they do have the opportunity to see the lucite ones really up close.

I have a heavy science background so im used to see specimens and such so it dosent bother me. I would not however buy any species that is questionable.
#20 of 31 Old 09-18-2010, 03:46 PM

#21 of 31 Old 09-18-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not down with the bat idea either
#22 of 31 Old 09-18-2010, 06:04 PM

I can honestly say that I hope I never loose my compassion for all living things. It may be easier to not care about the bugs, but I find it a whole lot more rewarding to care.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#23 of 31 Old 09-18-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odenata View Post
So they buy dead insects and bats? From where? I'm' really curious what the process is.
It's possible that they buy dead specimens from zoos and research labs. (Not that that makes it any better mind you). That way they get their bigs and bats and the place they buy it from makes money instead of looses money to get rid of the dead.

#24 of 31 Old 09-18-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
I can honestly say that I hope I never loose my compassion for all living things. It may be easier to not care about the bugs, but I find it a whole lot more rewarding to care.
I agree. I will never forget when I was in 6th grade; some girls I knew were near me playing and one killed an insect. The other said to her "you just ended a life!" the other just stood there dumbfounded and didn't know what to say. To this day I think of her saying that and use it on my son when he does the same thing. He does have great compassion for living things, but sometimes has brain farts. I mean, he is only 8...
#25 of 31 Old 09-18-2010, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't mind killing bugs, but only those that bothered me or my children. Say a mosquito that landed on my sweet little guy or a fly that just wouldn't stop hovering over our dinner or a wasp that got in my hair. I wouldn't feel right killing bugs that's doing their own business and not bothering me. I certainly wouldn't enjoy dead ones stuck in plastic. I know my children won't enjoy either.

So my heart definitely won't bleed, but I'll never spend money on dead bugs, that include ancient bugs in amber.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#26 of 31 Old 09-18-2010, 09:09 PM

Yup, I am ok with killing a mosquito if it is trying to eat me....but other then that try to relocate bugs who are in my space rather then kill them. Don't think I would be comfy with dead bugs who may have been hastened on for a cute rock.

Nancy, Mom to Kyra (2005), Zoe (2006), Callie (2007) (2008), and Xavier (2009)
#27 of 31 Old 09-18-2010, 10:19 PM

It does make me feel kind of sad for the bugs, but the bats/lizards/turtles seem completely wrong to me. I would actually be ok with buying these for DS though. He actually FREAKED out when he saw them BTW, as in begging and pleading for me to buy them for him. He is another kiddo who loves bugs to death pretty regularly, unfortunately. I have tried helping to understand that bugs need to live their life in their own homes, but he just so desperately needs to see them, touch them, etc and they almost always end up dead. I seriously need to find a way to get at least one or two of these into my Christmas budget this year. He will flip out!

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#28 of 31 Old 09-18-2010, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
It does make me feel kind of sad for the bugs, but the bats/lizards/turtles seem completely wrong to me. I would actually be ok with buying these for DS though. He actually FREAKED out when he saw them BTW, as in begging and pleading for me to buy them for him. He is another kiddo who loves bugs to death pretty regularly, unfortunately. I have tried helping to understand that bugs need to live their life in their own homes, but he just so desperately needs to see them, touch them, etc and they almost always end up dead. I seriously need to find a way to get at least one or two of these into my Christmas budget this year. He will flip out!

This website has them for a bit cheaper ($8-15 each): www.worlddiscoveryBox.com
#29 of 31 Old 09-19-2010, 02:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
I have 2 keychains that have beetles in lucite. I like them, although I do feel a little sad that they were probably killed just to be made into a keychain. But I do love preserved animals, because it is a great way to learn about them, up close and personal.
I'm a taxidermist, and I mounted my first animal when I was 11. (A roadkill squirrel!) This was after a few years of begging my mother to let me try. I loved to be able to see the animals up close, and to make them look alive again. If your child loves insects this much, I say go for it and buy the bugs You never know, she might make a career out of it someday. I did!

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#30 of 31 Old 09-19-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemenope View Post
This website has them for a bit cheaper ($8-15 each): www.worlddiscoveryBox.com
The first site actually has some small ones for $3.99 that are in the shape of marbles. I am thinking of making him a little box lined with a soft cloth to keep track of them and getting him two or three tiny ones to put in there, and maybe splurging on the tarantula paperweight that is sort of half sphere shaped. I am totally, completely freaked out by them, but he will absolutely freak out when he sees them. I am completely at peace with sacrificing their lives in order to help him to see them up close and personal without torturing them here in my home.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page