Would you sell to this person? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 17 Old 09-18-2010, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I've listed a few things on Craigslist lately. A woman is interested in one ring and said she wanted it very much. The problem is I've dealt with her before. She wanted another ring I listed last month. Had all sorts of reasons so she can't come. Finally we arranged to meet in a mall and she totally forgot to go. I told her I can mail it to her if she sent me Paypal, but of course she prefer in person transactions. Promised me she's come two days later, never heard from her again until now, she now "DEFINITELY" want one of my other rings. (The previous ring was already sold.)

I'm inclined to just ignore her. I'm still pissed off about the last ring. I wondered if she's one of those crazy people who likes to spend time tricking strangers. I couldn't believe that she dare contact me again. Perhaps she didn't know it's me. But what if there's a remote chance that she might come with cash this time? Would you bother talking to her or selling the ring to her?

I somehow have a feeling that if she agree to come she'll suddenly go on a trip for business or family emergency or something.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (13 & 12)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 09-18-2010, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I totally wouldn't go out of my way for her. What I would probably do in that situation is set up a time when I was going to be around anyway so it wouldn't waste any of my time and tell her that I wouldn't hold it for her if she was a no-show and someone else showed up with cash first. I don't know why she would keep calling if she had really no intention of buying it whatsoever, some people are just super flaky or have life drama going on.

When we were moving and I was selling some of our stuff on Craigslist I did have a situation similar to that with a piece of furniture, and the person did eventually end up buying it after not showing up twice. I just lowered my expectations so it was a pleasant surprise when they actually showed up, lol.

Full-time RVing wifey, TTC #1 and working towards living debt-free!
#3 of 17 Old 09-18-2010, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I would ignore her.

Mama, Artist, Mary Kay Consultant

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#4 of 17 Old 09-18-2010, 09:06 AM

Yeah I'd also just ignore her.

Live and love with your whole being.
#5 of 17 Old 09-18-2010, 12:03 PM

That would annoy the bajonkers out of me. Ignore her!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#6 of 17 Old 09-18-2010, 12:06 PM

I would totally hold the line with that one. I've had freecyclers act like that and it's just not worth my time. I'd tell her, politely but firmly, that because there were so many missed connections last time, you can only mail her the ring after receiving payment. I would even avoid Paypal, because she seems like a risk for filing to receive her PP back after getting the ring.

...Or I'd just refuse to sell it to her and save myself even more time.
#7 of 17 Old 09-18-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poddi View Post
I've listed a few things on Craigslist lately. A woman is interested in one ring and said she wanted it very much. The problem is I've dealt with her before. She wanted another ring I listed last month. Had all sorts of reasons so she can't come. Finally we arranged to meet in a mall and she totally forgot to go. I told her I can mail it to her if she sent me Paypal, but of course she prefer in person transactions. Promised me she's come two days later, never heard from her again until now, she now "DEFINITELY" want one of my other rings. (The previous ring was already sold.)

I'm inclined to just ignore her. I'm still pissed off about the last ring. I wondered if she's one of those crazy people who likes to spend time tricking strangers. I couldn't believe that she dare contact me again. Perhaps she didn't know it's me. But what if there's a remote chance that she might come with cash this time? Would you bother talking to her or selling the ring to her?

I somehow have a feeling that if she agree to come she'll suddenly go on a trip for business or family emergency or something.
Turst your instincts.
#8 of 17 Old 09-18-2010, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
I would ignore her.
Same. Block her email and make sure your caller Id has her in as "crazy lady" so you don't pick up.
#9 of 17 Old 09-18-2010, 02:26 PM

or get her to meet you somewhere very near your home and have her call you when she gets there.
#10 of 17 Old 09-18-2010, 02:32 PM

I would write her off as flakey rather than vindictive, but still sell the ring to somebody else. Or at the very least wait a few days to see if you get another offer, and then only respond to her as a last resort if needed.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#11 of 17 Old 09-18-2010, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd ignore her. If she bothers you about it again, I'd be blunt and be like "look last time you strung me along and then never got around to buying, I'm not interested in dealing with you again."
#12 of 17 Old 09-18-2010, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Depends on how much you need to get rid of the ring. Sometimes it's better to cut your losses.

I steer clear of any wierdo vibe from CL. I had a really bad and wierd experience once from a woman. We'd just given birth, were selling a couch. She was desperate to come over. She sent me an email in the evening (after about 4 others) and I had gone to bed by that point. In the morning she sent one profanity-riddled email about how I never got back to her, etc. with one of those 'anonymous hate mail servers' (didn't know those existed) calling me names I'd only ever heard on tv... drop This email 'exploded into flames' (an animation) basically hexing me, or some nonsense like that. All because I didn't email her back the night before.

Thing is, minutes before I checked her morning email, I sent her one telling her when to come over, etc. etc.

An hour goes by. Then she emails me asking me about coming over.

Needless to say, I didn't answer. I was horrified that I was going to let this woman into my house, around my babies.

Where is the wtf smilie?
#13 of 17 Old 09-18-2010, 05:21 PM

I would go with my gut, and to me it sounds like you DON'T want to deal with her so why not just reply and tell her it's sold? If she comes back again and says that it's still posted just say you forgot to take the listing off.

She may be harmless but she could also be a freak! play it safe.
#14 of 17 Old 09-18-2010, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Well I gave her a chance and gave her my DH's name and phone number. I really don't want to talk to her again but he can deal with her.

Guess what? She said she doesn't have time right now, need to go out of town for a few WEEKS, and asked me to hold the ring for her. She really really wants it and will definitely buy it when she comes back.

Come on, do some people think there's a possibility that others are so stupid? I told her no, we can't hold it for her. I hope she never contact us again.

*I now wonder if she's just some teenager playing pranks on people.

#15 of 17 Old 09-18-2010, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

OK, I just looked up her name and found her page on a dating site. Actually she's 34 and her name and info all match up what she told me. I guess it's not a teenager playing pranks then. Still, must be quite a flaky person. Gee now I know more than enough about her.

#16 of 17 Old 09-18-2010, 08:41 PM

sounds like a real piece o' work!
#17 of 17 Old 09-20-2010, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I would have probably done what you did.
Hope it gets sold!
I am also listing things on craigslist right now and have for the most part had good luck. There are some strange people out there.

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page