Kindle vs. Ipad? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 36 Old 09-18-2010, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So Dh wants to get me a last baby present and wanted to know which one I wanted -- I don't know! Can anyone give me a rundown on why they love/hate one of them? The only thing I am having trouble swallowing is the ipad price, I'm not sure we can actually swing that right now -- if we saved up maybe.

I'm planning on using whichever mostly for reading, but I'd like to also use it for surfing the web.

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 36 Old 09-18-2010, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Having played with both I'd go with the iPad if you can swing the price. It's pretty awesome The Kindle is a nice e-reader though and so much cheaper. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with either.

Kate - Mama to Max (13), Noah (11), James (9) and Isabelle (6)
#3 of 36 Old 09-18-2010, 03:45 PM

I have a Kindle. I love love love love my Kindle. I take it everywhere.

That said, if you want to be able to do things like come here and post when you browse the web, you'd need an iPad for that. Also ~ where you want to surf from matters when choosing which iPad. If you want to surf from home, the WiFi iPad is fine. If you want to go out somewhere and surf and post, you'd need the 3G one.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#4 of 36 Old 09-18-2010, 03:52 PM

I say buy the iPad and download the free kindle app. Best of both worlds.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#5 of 36 Old 09-18-2010, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I have both, ipad for sure. As for the run down here is my take, if I could do it all over again I wouldn't have bought kindle, but I bought mine before ipad came out now it sits in a box in the closet.

As an ereader the ipad is much more versatile and I can read my kindle books on my ipad with the kindle app so no loss there. Along with having access to the Barnes and Noble ebooks and the ibookstore plus a host of other ebook reader apps. Plus ipad is color and has better contrast and crisper text than kindle does. I don't need to pay for blog subscriptions like on the kindle device because I can read them either in the safari web browser, through my email if I get delivery there or through one of the many many other apps for free and it's not restricted to only ones that have signed up with Amazon! Why pay for a newspaper sub through the kindle when I can read the papers website on the ipad? As for open domain books and personal documents, the sky is the limit because there are apps for pretty much every file type for the ipad, unlike the kindle. Plus I can shop between ereader apps for the best ebook formatting and price, they are not all the same, in my comparisons of ibook and kindle, ibook often has better ebook formatting and more commonly has all the maps and additional pages found in the print version while Amazon often only has the actual printed story. Although Amazon usually has better prices. But I don't need to limit myself since I'm not married to one format.

There there are all the other things that ipad does. Games, GPS directions, contact lists, calendar, email, ipod, stream netflix, watch HD movies and music videos, you tube, ect ect.
#6 of 36 Old 09-18-2010, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As usual, it seems, I agree with Arduinna. iPad has far more functionality and like someone else said, there is a Kindle app for iPad... =)

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#7 of 36 Old 09-18-2010, 04:27 PM

Totally iPad for the same reason... iPad is like having a Kindle PLUS a ton of other things. A Kindles just a Kindle.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#8 of 36 Old 09-18-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofgrace View Post
I have a Kindle. I love love love love my Kindle. I take it everywhere.

That said, if you want to be able to do things like come here and post when you browse the web, you'd need an iPad for that. Also ~ where you want to surf from matters when choosing which iPad. If you want to surf from home, the WiFi iPad is fine. If you want to go out somewhere and surf and post, you'd need the 3G one.

plus you can download free Kindle software for the iPad.

On the flip side, the Kindle is smaller than an iPad, and I can easily put it in my handbag. I haven't used an iPad, but I believe they're considerably bigger than the regular Kindle. I have a 2nd Gen Kindle, and with the cover, it's about the size of a high-end paperback book. So that's a consideration if you think you'll really only use it as an eReader.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#9 of 36 Old 09-18-2010, 04:31 PM

I forgot to say that ipad is heavier than kindle, and in the interests of full disclosure I actually read ebooks more often on my iphone than ipad just because I like reading in bed and one handed reading with iphone is awesome. I do love love ipad for reading ecookbooks while I cook though and I love the macgourmet app for syncing my recipes with my mac and the epicurious and cooks illustrated apps for their recipes.
#10 of 36 Old 09-18-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
if I could do it all over again I wouldn't have bought kindle, but I bought mine before ipad came out
DH gave me mine as a gift before the iPad came out.

Quote:
As an ereader the ipad is much more versatile and I can read my kindle books on my ipad with the kindle app so no loss there. There there are all the other things that ipad does. Games, GPS directions, contact lists, calendar, email, ipod, stream netflix, watch HD movies and music videos, you tube, ect ect.
too.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#11 of 36 Old 09-18-2010, 05:10 PM

I dont want to hijack this post, but Ive been worndering something about this for a while. The kindle can get online and read articles from websites aloud. Can the ipad do that too?

Holly
Adaline
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(3/20/10), and Charlie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(1/26/12- 4/10/12) and identical  
  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)
SIDS happens. 
#12 of 36 Old 09-18-2010, 05:40 PM

The Kindle is for *serious* readers. By that I mean, people who take their books and literature seriously. The Kindle is VERY easy on the eyes. It's not backlit. You can read it in full sunlight without a problem. You cannot read in full sunlight with iPad/iPhone. I read sometimes on my iPod Touch and it hurts my eyes after a while.

Battery life on the Kindle is much better. For Kindle 2, it's two weeks with wireless off, and supposed to be a month on Kindle 3 with the wireless off (if you get the 3G version - $189).

iPad is for those who want to do other things than just read. I have a MacBook and a Droid X phone on the way. Kindle is for reading. Although you can put personal files on it and read them, as I do for a class I'm taking.

I want something portable and easy on the eyes, so I have a Kindle (2nd generation). Love it. I still buy hard copy books, but I love having something so portable!

lady.gif
#13 of 36 Old 09-18-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
I say buy the iPad and download the free kindle app. Best of both worlds.

I love my kindle, but it's just for reading, and I have a few free games. For what it is it's wonderful and very easy to use. I feel like I would be lost w/an ipad, and not use half the features. But at least I know I'm getting full use of the features on my kindle. So if you're tech-challenged at all, and just want it for books, go w/the kindle.

Carrie
mama to Nora(8)
and Finn (5)
    and Baby Tiebreaker due 1/18
#14 of 36 Old 09-18-2010, 05:58 PM

Voice of dissent here I opted for the Kindle, mostly because of the big whopping price difference. I also have a great little $300 MSI Wind netbook that easily fits in my purse and has way more memory than an iPad, a real hard drive and a real keyboard (that's what I'm using now) so that combo to me was the best of both worlds for half the price of buying an iPad.

I did seriously consider the iPad but especially since I already had the netbook, ultimately I just couldn't stomach the price. I also find the more paper-like screen on the Kindle a LOT easier on my eyes if I'm going to be reading for a long time, vs. a backlit computer screen. I don't know if I'd really sit down and read 50 pages of text in a sitting on the iPad like I can with the Kindle.

Full-time RVing wifey, TTC #1 and working towards living debt-free!
#15 of 36 Old 09-18-2010, 06:48 PM

Apparently the 5 hours I spent reading last night, nor the hundreds of books I own in hardcopy doesn't qualify me as a *serious* reader. LOL

um ok.
#16 of 36 Old 09-18-2010, 07:00 PM

Having just finished my first book on my iPad I can say it worked awesome! I say go iPad just because of the flexibility, I'm typing from it right now! I have just the wifi version because I have wireless at home and at school. I like the added features of the ipad like calendar, email and of course internet browser. Since I'm a student I also got the apps for word processing and PowerPoint and download my class lectures and presentations onto it for studying.

As for price, I picked mine up at BestBuy and they had one that was open box, meaning it was either a return or they opened it to check something out or the customer changed their mind or something. It was in perfect condition like it had never been used and I got a nice discount on it. I also worked a deal with the sales guy to get money off a few accessories. So I'd ask if they have any of those first and see what kind of discount they are offering. I originally was going to get a 16g one because I didn't want to pay $100 extra for 32g (which is more ideal for me), he went to grab the 16 and found the open box for only $50 more. Score! I jumped on that, he said it's rare that they are there but if you find one any discount helps!

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#17 of 36 Old 09-18-2010, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies!

The ipad is a serious drool worthy item for me, but $$ might make the choice for me in the end, unless we wait until much closer to the time the babe comes and have the money saved.

What kind of prices did you get your ipads for? Triple or more the $189 of the Kindle, I'm sure!

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#18 of 36 Old 09-18-2010, 07:18 PM

I paid $550 for my 32g one but the 16 are $500. If you get an open box it could save you some though.

My iPad pretty much replaced my laptop, so it was worth it for me. (doesn't completely replace, but pretty close! I still use my home computer but rarely use my actual laptop now)

#19 of 36 Old 09-18-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadia105 View Post
Thanks for all the replies!

The ipad is a serious drool worthy item for me, but $$ might make the choice for me in the end, unless we wait until much closer to the time the babe comes and have the money saved.

What kind of prices did you get your ipads for? Triple or more the $189 of the Kindle, I'm sure!
Apple is selling refurbed iPads now....

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#20 of 36 Old 09-18-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
Apparently the 5 hours I spent reading last night, nor the hundreds of books I own in hardcopy doesn't qualify me as a *serious* reader. LOL

um ok.
Did NOT mean it like that. Some people want to just read books on a electronic gadget, while other want the gadget to do other stuff like email, movies, games, the newspaper, etc. I have Kindle for books and my Droid X for the other stuff in portable form. For me to add an iPad on top of that wouldn't make sense because I've got gadgets (smartphone, MacBook) that can do that stuff.

For me, and others I suspect, the book-only aspect of the Kindle is the most important thing.

lady.gif
#21 of 36 Old 09-18-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine233 View Post
I paid $550 for my 32g one but the 16 are $500. If you get an open box it could save you some though.

My iPad pretty much replaced my laptop, so it was worth it for me. (doesn't completely replace, but pretty close! I still use my home computer but rarely use my actual laptop now)
Curious how your using your ipad as a student. I am planning on getting a desktop mac and I was wanting to get a small netbook to take with me because I'm a student. However, I have been considering the mac but I'm curious how your liking it. If I were to use it as a netbook, I would likely by the wireless key board too. I've heard the on screen one can take a little getting used to and I type pretty fast so that would get on my nerves. Anyway, I'll be watching this thread. I was just looking at the kindle the other day. I'm definitely getting one in the next few months.

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#22 of 36 Old 09-19-2010, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodygumdrops View Post
Curious how your using your ipad as a student. I am planning on getting a desktop mac and I was wanting to get a small netbook to take with me because I'm a student. However, I have been considering the mac but I'm curious how your liking it. If I were to use it as a netbook, I would likely by the wireless key board too. I've heard the on screen one can take a little getting used to and I type pretty fast so that would get on my nerves. Anyway, I'll be watching this thread. I was just looking at the kindle the other day. I'm definitely getting one in the next few months.
I have a wireless keyboard for my iMac and I've considered syncing it with my iPad to try it out, I think it would make typing easier, yes. You can download typed up docs to your home computer or send to iDisk if you have mobile me, or print to a blue tooth printer. I don't have a bluetooth printer but do have a wireless one and am anxiously awaiting the iOS 4.2 update to be available for Pad that will allow printing to wireless printers!

#23 of 36 Old 09-19-2010, 02:59 AM

iPad for sure.

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#24 of 36 Old 09-19-2010, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I love how the iPad is backlit. It's too difficult for me to read on a Kindle or Nook.
I like the contrast.

Mama, Artist, Mary Kay Consultant

#25 of 36 Old 09-19-2010, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
i guess it comes down to $$s of course but the EYES!!!

i have to say i agree with Tradd. after a while the backlit wears on me. it really wires me up and i have trouble falling asleep.

so while i was agreeing to go for the Ipad i will have to agree that when "I AM" reading i prefer a kindle to an ipad.

the backlighting makes all the difference for me.

that is if you seriously are a 'serious reading' spending many hours on reading. otherwise its no point getting a product just for reading. however i would say i spend maybe 50% of my reading on kindle and the rest books (because of $$s and subject matter - i read a lot of non fiction, non contemporary non political stuff). and while i love my kindle i will say i am not really into an electronic reader except for easy access to books. it hasnt changed my life like the rice cooker has. i would choose my rice cooker any day over kindle (yeah i cook rice pretty often too)

btw it works great for kids too. dd reads on kindle too. and so i dont worry about her eyes and she doesnt have to factor in screen time with kindle time.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#26 of 36 Old 09-19-2010, 01:53 PM

You know you can adjust the screen brightness on the iPad, right?

#27 of 36 Old 09-19-2010, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
its still not the same. i even jimmyrigged a glare screen when i borrowed an ipad but its still not the same.

both my dd and i react the same way. it keeps us awake.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#28 of 36 Old 09-19-2010, 01:59 PM

For those who have trouble with the backlighting on the iPad you may want to try the free ebook app, Stanza. It has a very nice user interface but my favorite part is that you can choose to set it so the page is black and the lettering is white. It's much easier on the eyes and conserves battery life too.

Kate - Mama to Max (13), Noah (11), James (9) and Isabelle (6)
#29 of 36 Old 09-19-2010, 02:00 PM

With a kindle you have to buy and add on a reading light/lamp to use it in bed in the dark, or when traveling in the car at night. You can see it better when reading say, at the beach on a sunny day - but for me, I read the most at night (any kind of light would annoy my DH), and in the car on road trips.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#30 of 36 Old 09-19-2010, 02:02 PM

i read all the time on my ipad and it doesnt hurt my eyes at all... i find it way different than reading on my iphone and ipod touch... both of which do hurt my eyes sometimes.

i love my ipad.

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page