drinking gene - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-28-2010, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Interesting stuff. My family is mostly German - with a few other European countries in the mix. But a few of us get the red thing. It's funny because one of my brothers and I get it and we're the ones with the biggest tolerances, respectively, me for the gals, he for the guys. Now, I don't always get it, but most of the time I do, same with my bro. In fact people comment if I'm drinking and don't turn red, these days. ha

signature currently in transition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *jeanine* View Post
yes and no

I can drink, and I can get drunk But if I have too much too fast, (which happens with sweet, yummy drinks,) I get serious pain in my stomach and I get really hot and red - for like ten minutes. It's never happened with beer or wine, but will happen with those "malt beverages" like hard lemonade or Smirnoff ones that taste like Jolly Ranchers, and with mixed drinks. I don't know if it's just that those go down really fast sometimes () and are higher in alcohol (although the malt beverages are lower than wine I tend to sip wine much slower), or if it's because of the sugar. I read on the internet that alcohol is converted from "A" to "B" to "C" (sorry, I don't feel like googling for the actual big words ), and I don't always have enough enzyme to keep up and get it all to "C", which gives me an excess of "B" which is what causes it. But I've only heard that from Dr Google, so I don't know how true it is. Sometimes I think I'd like to do a whole bunch of straight shots of something, to see if sugar is part of the problem. Sometimes. Kinda.
This exact same thing happens to me with "cheap alcohol" in very sugary mixes, usually cheap strawberry flavored drinks. Interestingly enough I am now type 1 diabetic, for that reason, and for the discomfort issue I don't ever drink those types of drinks.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelsSahm View Post
I apologize! That wasn't very nice of me! Sorry!
Apology accepted.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essie View Post
Apology accepted.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmgal View Post
This exact same thing happens to me with "cheap alcohol" in very sugary mixes, usually cheap strawberry flavored drinks. Interestingly enough I am now type 1 diabetic, for that reason, and for the discomfort issue I don't ever drink those types of drinks.
So does it always happen with cheap sugary drinks, no matter the amount, or is it a too much/too fast kind of thing, combined with the cheap alcohol and sugar? Does it ever happen with other drinks? I had it happen with barleywine once. Sorry for all the questions, but I've never met anybody else who it happens to. And since, for me, it doesn't happen every time it's very difficult to figure out exactly what the triggers are, KWIM?

Mama to three  

User Tag List