What kind of insect is this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2010, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
 
yaM yaM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just found this very strange and not small thing in my garden . . .




http://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/...CN0023_2_2.jpg



x-posted in Digging in the Earth.
yaM yaM is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-27-2010, 03:55 PM
 
Rani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Skokie IL
Posts: 862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
caterpillar of some sort...
Rani is offline  
Old 09-27-2010, 03:55 PM
 
limabean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Maybe a pipevine swallowtail caterpillar?

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
limabean is offline  
Old 09-27-2010, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
 
yaM yaM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

I think you're right.


Anyone know if these are poisonous to dogs? I'm not finding anything on the web and have a curious puppy that mouths just about everything that moves.
yaM yaM is offline  
Old 09-27-2010, 04:20 PM
 
limabean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by May May View Post
I think you're right.


Anyone know if these are poisonous to dogs? I'm not finding anything on the web and have a curious puppy that mouths just about everything that moves.
Hmm, from this link it says:

Quote:
[Pipevine swallowtail] caterpillars are not poisonous when they are young, but after they have eaten a lot of pipevine and have grown, they are poisonous and move off to live on their own.
But that's only if this is a pipevine swallowtail and it's been eating pipevine -- do you have pipevine in your yard (if so, that plant would be toxic to your puppy too)?

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
limabean is offline  
Old 09-27-2010, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
 
yaM yaM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you - I saw that, too. I can't find what it's specifically poisonous to, though, such as dogs, cats, children, etc. I don't think we have pipevine growing in our yard, however....
yaM yaM is offline  
Old 09-27-2010, 07:16 PM
 
limabean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by May May View Post
Thank you - I saw that, too. I can't find what it's specifically poisonous to, though, such as dogs, cats, children, etc. I don't think we have pipevine growing in our yard, however....
Oh, I gotcha. Like how onions and grapes are toxic to dogs but not humans? I dunno, I'm having trouble finding anything on that too. Does your puppy spend much time outside by herself? Ours found the craziest things to do anytime she was left unattended outside, like chew through the sprinkler timer wires and gnaw on the wood furniture. And once (thankfully when I was outside with her) she came out of the bushes with an ant stake (I guess from the previous owner) in her mouth -- it was terrifying!

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
limabean is offline  
Old 09-27-2010, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
 
yaM yaM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lol! Yes, that is the way of things with pups, isn't it? Ours doesn't spend much time alone - period - but I will put him outside for 3-4 minutes unattended sometimes when I'm busy doing other things so that he can relieve himself. Honestly, I would never have believed what he'd get into within those 3-4 minutes if I hadn't seen for myself what he's capable of, so I do worry about him chasing, pawing and/or eating colorful little critters!!
yaM yaM is offline  
Old 09-27-2010, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter
 
yaM yaM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And I'm also kinda worried about what could happen if one of us humans in our family were to accidentally step on such a caterpillar - wondering if the poison could be harmful with skin contact . . .
yaM yaM is offline  
Old 09-28-2010, 03:47 PM
 
Essie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,057
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ewww! I'm sorry, I don't like it! Could it be a cutworm?
Essie is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off