Some ^^^positive vibes/prayers^^^ needed...UPDATE - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-23-2004, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We leave in an hour to take my baby girl (ok, she's almost 5) to the dentist for the full treatment.........she has 6 or 8 cavities, all VERY minor, that will be treated today. She'll be knocked out and I'm told it will go very fast but I'm nervous because I'm just that kind of worrier and I know she is scared because shes just that kind of girl.

To top it off, I'm generally one of "those troublesome mothers" who's always asking a gazillion questions, making sure my kid is being treated right, and generally pi$$ing off the staff. :

Please send some calming vibes and prayers if you can spare them and keep us in your thoughts this morning. I know it will all be ok but I still can't help being antsy......

I had HORRID dental experiences when I was a child and I just pray this will be far easier on my daughter than anything I had done to me.....

#2 of 12 Old 03-23-2004, 02:57 PM

ohmmanipadmiohm

Nursing student, (LAST SEMESTER!!!)Cloth diapering, cosleeping, breastfeeding mama to 4!!!
#3 of 12 Old 03-23-2004, 03:30 PM

I hope it goes smoothly! Give us an update when you can!
#4 of 12 Old 03-23-2004, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Prayers & positive vibes & calming thoughts are being sent your way right now! I pray that your little girl will be fine and you'll be amazed at how quickly she recovers!
#5 of 12 Old 03-23-2004, 04:37 PM

++++++++++=
#6 of 12 Old 03-23-2004, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
yuck I hate the dentist I brush and floss alot to avoid HIM! :LOL but that still doesnt help

sending good vibes!
#7 of 12 Old 03-23-2004, 06:14 PM

i was told my oldest needed to be knocked out and have a bunch of work done. we were getting ready to schedule it and everything, and i finally thought to ask, "what would happen if we didn't do this?"

the dentist made hemming and hawing noises, but she finally admitted that if he wasn't in pain and the teeth weren't causing damage, they would just look ugly until they fell out.

well, hell! i can live with that! a few years of ugly teeth later, and now my kids still aren't at all leery of dentists.

we were also told that they all needed orthodonture, and i've left it up to each kid to decide if s/he wants to go forward with the work. so far, none of them have chosen to do it (i was FORCED, physically, to have dental and orthodonture work done to me when i was young, and i still hate dentists... haven't been to one for over 15 years).

i know this won't work for everyone (especially if your little one is in pain) but i just wanted to encourage folks to not necessarily go with everything a professional recommends.... ask what would happen if you chose not to do the procedure.

katje
#8 of 12 Old 03-23-2004, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
DD had 5 cavities that were fixed in 3 visits, including a root canal/cap. She was not put under, just local. It was scary for her, but the dentist was nice and we talked everything through before hand. We let her know it was OK to cry anytime she needed to, and she was very proud of being brave about the experience. That's just to let you know that it can be hard, but still OK!

I hope everything goes well for your daughter!!

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#9 of 12 Old 03-23-2004, 07:31 PM

Best of luck--Keep us updated

Tamera hearts.gifwife to Rod moon.gif Mama to Ty jammin.gif Nathan Peace.gif Hunter bikenew.gifMila energy.gifAndrew sleepytime.gif Kyle REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif& our last baby # 7 due June 2011 1sttri.gif We homeschool.gif  nocirc.gifcd.gif  h20homebirth.gif
#10 of 12 Old 03-23-2004, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

*phew*

It was horrible for ME but not to bad for her. :

They gave her a shot to sort of knock her out and it was mildly horrifying to see her just zone out like that and then be totally out of it.......it sounds horrible but she almost looked like she was dying.

But, 45 minutes later they brought her out and she was totally zonked.......still looked *off* but better and then she woke up.

We're home, she's drinking some, and asking for some yogurt having gone through a bought of naseau when we first got home.

The first thing she said to me when she was coming to was "Are my teeth all fixed??" and on the ride home she asked me about a dozen times why she had a bandaid on her hand. Poor thing.

Thanks so much for the thoughts.......I think she came through it ok and thats whats important.......(nevermind mama who spent the majority of the time crying in the waiting room..........I'm such a mess!)
#11 of 12 Old 03-23-2004, 11:59 PM

perhaps for future reference some rescue remedy for yourself would help : )

i used it to get thru my own dental visits and i swear by it now!!!
#12 of 12 Old 03-24-2004, 12:11 AM

I'm glad you both survived!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page