Is it really that hard to be a leftie? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Is it really that hard to be left-handed?
I'm left-handed and I have had no problems with being a leftie in a right-handed world. 24 21.43%
I'm left handed & have had some problems, but they don't make me wish I were right handed 32 28.57%
I'm left handed and think it’s really difficult. I wish that I were right-handed on a regular basis 1 0.89%
I'm right handed and just curious about the results of this poll. 46 41.07%
Obligatory other. 9 8.04%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 66 Old 10-14-2010, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is kind of a spin-off of a post in the Toddlers forum where some people said that they can understand why you wouldn't want your child to be left-handed because it's difficult to be left-handed in a right-handed world.

I'm a leftie and I've never have that much of a problem with using things like scissors, right-handed school desks, a computer mouse, or stick-shifts in cars.

Am I out of the norm here in thinking that its not really that hard to be left handed? Or am I just slightly ambidextrous and I don't realize it?

Make sure to leave some examples or explain!

student momma to two great girls

#2 of 66 Old 10-14-2010, 01:06 PM

I am a leftie and don't think it's difficult either.

I do cut right-handed, the mouse is fine, never drove stick. Right-handed desks were fine too. Although I did get to use a left-handed desk a few times in college and it was nice!

I eat, write, throw, golf, cartwheel - leftie
Kick, cut - rightie

I actually was surprised/disappointed DS is right-handed. I just assumed he'd be like me

Oh- and I am not artistic or musical at all!! Kind of creative/crafty I suppose, but not like a natural talent or anything.

Mama to three

#3 of 66 Old 10-14-2010, 01:17 PM

My DH is left handed and he doesn't think anything of it. He doesn't even have that crook to his hand while righting like I have noticed with so many lefties.

We can't tell DS's "hand" yet. He keeps switching back and forth on us.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#4 of 66 Old 10-14-2010, 01:21 PM

My mother is left handed and was glad that her kids and grandkids are not. She has a huge list of reasons, most of which I don't remember. I think the latest that she told me about was she read about a cell phone that drops calls in the left hand. Other things like scissors, adding machines, manual vehicles etc she has learned to use with a non-dominate hand. It does make it harder. I had my dominate hand in a cast for awhile and it was really hard.
#5 of 66 Old 10-14-2010, 01:23 PM

My MIL is disappointed the both my boys appear to be lefties. That irritates the crap out of me. I'm a leftie and I like it.

I think it forces me to be more ambidextrious than a rightie is. Writing and eating are really the only things I do left handed. Delicate tasks I need to do left handed, but big things like batting, swinging a hammer, and cutting are done with my right hand.

I have found a few problems for lefties. I had a difficult time when using markers on posterboard. It tends to smear really easily since my hand was on top of the letter I had just written. I noticed my DS1 had problems with his workbook yesterday. He was tracing the numbers and then was supposed to write the number on the line to the right of the traced number. His hand was covering up the traced number and he couldn't see it for reference. I just wrote the number on the far right side and told him to write in between the traced number and the one I wrote for him. That way he could look at the one I had written while he was trying to write his own number.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#6 of 66 Old 10-14-2010, 01:25 PM

My DH is a leftie and it's really a non-issue for him.
#7 of 66 Old 10-14-2010, 01:50 PM

I'm the only leftie in our entire family. Go figure.

I had third-degree burns when I was a baby, which included my left hand, but not my right. My mother said that even when I had grafts and lots of bandages on that hand as a toddler, I still tried to use it and immediately reverted to it as soon as the bandages came off. I am VERY left-handed and even left-legged, in that the muscles on my left leg are more developed than on my right. I do find some difficulties because of this, but they're mostly minor and usually just a topic of interest. For instance, when I have to sign my name electronically on one of those little portable thingies (for postal deliveries, etc), I have to actually take the unit and turn it sideways. I turn all pages sideways to write. I was constantly bugged in school about my handwriting, the slant and whatever; but I'm 42, so I hope things have changed since I was a kid.

It would be FUN to go to a leftie store, which I hear they have in some big cities. But I think of it as a quirk, nothing more.

Oh, but I have heard being left handed raises your risk of breast cancer.
#8 of 66 Old 10-14-2010, 02:02 PM

yes I've had some issues. Not with writing but with other tools that are basically backwards for me
#9 of 66 Old 10-14-2010, 02:11 PM

I'm a leftie and I didn't really have problems. There are only 2 things that was a problem. Using scissors and writing. I found that the only scissors that I could use were the Fiskars scissors. Once I got a pair of those, I was fine. Writing, I can't use inks that smudge easily. I stay away from gel inks and rollerball pens. I just use ballpoint pens. The only thing is that your hand goes against what you write and you will get ink and pencil stains on you hand. I also don't write slanted and I have never turned my paper sideways. I don't curve my wrist while writing.

I have noticed that I became a bit ambidextrious. I bat left, but throw right. I shoot basketballs w/my right more often. Using a hammer, I can do both along with bowling. Computer mice were no problem because I was taught to use it with my right hand, though I can use my left.

With the car thing, you do as you're taught. Right-handed people in the UK have to shift with their left hand and I'm sure it's not a big problem.
#10 of 66 Old 10-14-2010, 02:52 PM

I am a rightie, but have worked more traditionally male job with lefties. They had it harder because things are set up for right hand usage. I would think what type of job would matter of how inconvenient it was.
#11 of 66 Old 10-14-2010, 02:56 PM

I'm left handed. Other than writing, I do everything with my right.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#12 of 66 Old 10-14-2010, 02:58 PM

I'm a leftie and it IS inconvenient, although hardly debilitating. I voted that I wouldn't change, though, just because I've always been left-handed and it's part of who I am now -- being right-handed wouldn't feel like me!

The single most annoying thing for me is not writing, not the mouse or scissors (I use both right-handed) ... but liquid measuring cups! The markings are on the wrong side.
#13 of 66 Old 10-14-2010, 03:17 PM

I am left handed and it is a complete non issue to me. I don't even think about it. Certainly not as much as right handed people seem to, considering that right handed people constantly comment about me being left handed. "Oh, a lefty, eh?"

But anyways, the only problem I have ever, ever had was that as a child I didn't have access to left handed scissors so I learned to cut right handed instead. Other than that, never had an issue. And I am not ambidextrous in the slightest. Other than scissors, I am strongly left handed. My right hand is useless to me!

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#14 of 66 Old 10-14-2010, 03:24 PM

I think it depends on what you do, and how dexterous you are with your right hand. People who are 100% leftie and can't do much with their right hand will have problems with scissors, number pads on keyboards, non-ambidextrous mice, etc. But most people are at least part ways ambidextrous and can do most things with either hand. Of the lefties I know, only one has any real problems with it because he can't do hardly anything with his right hand. Everyone else gets a long fine.
#15 of 66 Old 10-14-2010, 03:25 PM

I am a leftie and so are my two oldest kids. Their dad and the youngest are righties. The biggest "issue" we have is who sits next to whom at a restaurant or holiday dinners.

But I play racquet sports and baseball right handed because my rightie dad taught me that way. And I use scissors right handed because the lefty ones in elementary school were so dull that I taught myself to use the right handed ones because they could actually cut something.
#16 of 66 Old 10-14-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia the Muse View Post
but liquid measuring cups! The markings are on the wrong side.
I never noticed that, but when I thought about it I realized that I always pour with my right hand.

I have an aunt who swears that knives are all right handed. I wouldn't know, I also use a knife with my right hand.

#17 of 66 Old 10-14-2010, 04:02 PM

atobols, you sound ambidextrous to me! I could never use a kitchen knife right-handed. Or bat or hammer, for that matter. I don't think I could even hold a hammer properly in my right hand!

And I've never noticed that knives are "handed" either. Fortunately. Aren't they symmetrical? Mine all are.
#18 of 66 Old 10-14-2010, 04:08 PM

I voted "Obligatory other".
I'm right handed, and so is my DH, and 3 out of 4 of our children. My mother, my MIL, and my daughter are all lefties. My maternal uncle is a forcibly switched rightie.

I do not know how difficult it has been for anyone else, but for my daughter, I frequently FORGET that she is leftie. It caused some delays in learning to use scissors. We had issues with her being able to use a computer mouse (until I remembered to switch it to leftie). We also have had some issues with things such as catching, throwing, and batting in baseball (she throws leftie, but is more comfortable batting rightie, for example)

The main issue is, that everything I've read, and everything I've experienced says that while lefties WRITE with their left hand, over all, they are more ambidextrous. I never know what she is going to prefer.

I also find that her thinking patterns are different from my other children.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#19 of 66 Old 10-14-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
atobols, you sound ambidextrous to me!
You caught me, I'm a closet rightie.

Quote:
And I've never noticed that knives are "handed" either. Fortunately. Aren't they symmetrical? Mine all are.
I always thought that my aunt was a little bit crazy for that one, I think they're symmetrical too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless Wonder View Post
The main issue is, that everything I've read, and everything I've experienced says that while lefties WRITE with their left hand, over all, they are more ambidextrous. I never know what she is going to prefer.
I remember going home crying to my Mom because the teacher made me use the leftie scissors and I couldn't do it. My Mom finally had to call the teacher and ask why I was crying about using green scissors when all my friends got to use red scissors. That got straightened out and my life was good again.

It's because of that experience that I really try to let my sons lead me toward which hand they feel more comfortable with in everything. I try to not make assumptions based on which hand they prefer to eat and color with and that definitely makes it a slower process when learning new things.

#20 of 66 Old 10-14-2010, 04:31 PM

I'm a leftie and do everything with possible with my left hand. I use regular scissors on my left hand, I move the mouse on the computer over to use with my left hand, I do any pouring and measuring while cooking left handed. I even noticed while ds2 was nursing that I produced milk better on my left side. I sleep on my left side.

Ds1 is right handed and ds2 seems like he's going to be left handed.

The only real annoyance would be spiral bound notebooks. I've hated those things for a long time. I don't curve my hand around when I write, I think I kind of hold my hand under what I'm writing because I'm able to use what ever type of ink pen (gel and super smeary ones) without smearing them every where.

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#21 of 66 Old 10-14-2010, 04:34 PM

Spiral-bound are bad, but three-ring binders are the WORST. I have to actually take the paper out to write on it, then snap it back in -- the rings are exactly where my hand needs to be.
#22 of 66 Old 10-14-2010, 04:50 PM

I'm a leftie, my DP is a leftie, and our DD is leaning that way, I think. About half my extended family is leftie. I find it occasionally inconvenient, but not horrible. Spiral and 3-ring notebooks are horrid, I end up writing on the backs of the paper only. I use scissors and measuring cups right handed. I do most everything else leftie. No way could I use any sports equipment, knives, forks, etc right handed, but it's rarely a serious problem. I can't drive a manual trasmission, but I think that's because I've never made the effort to learn, not because I'm a leftie.

My grandfather was the only one to ever wish he was rightie, and that's because he was treated pretty horribly by teachers trying to force him to switch as a child.

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#23 of 66 Old 10-14-2010, 04:51 PM

DH is a lefty and his biggest issue was spiral notebooks because the spiral would dig into his arm. We solved that by buying notebooks with the spiral on top.

He's still not great with scissors but that's his main long term pain with being a lefty.

WOHM: Married 2002. partners.gif Dog parents 2005. dog2.gif DS arrived 3/3/10. Newbie expected late June 2013. slingboy.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gif

#24 of 66 Old 10-14-2010, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'm not, but father is and fil was also. I expected to get one but so far none of my kids have been.

My mil says she was as a child but that it wasn't allowed back when she was in school and basically she was smacked on the hand every time she used it, so she doesn't anymore. So, yeah I am guessing there was a big stigma attached to it for some reason.

That is interesting about the notebooks, I would have never thought of that.

Consequently to my fil putting in fixtures in my home a lot of things are left-hand around here. No big deal for us.

#25 of 66 Old 10-14-2010, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
I always thought that my aunt was a little bit crazy for that one, I think they're symmetrical too.
That one seems odd to me too. The only thing I can think of is that maybe with serrated knives the serrations are on the right? I don't know -- next time I cut a slice of bread or cheese I'll have to cut from the left side of the loaf and see if the knife seems less effective.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#26 of 66 Old 10-14-2010, 05:33 PM

Obligatory other to state that just because someone isn't left handed, it doesn't mean they are right handed either!

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#27 of 66 Old 10-14-2010, 05:37 PM

One woman I knew switches the button settings on computer mice. So the left button does the "right-click" functions and vice versa. It was a mind trip to sit down at a machine after she'd been working on it.
#28 of 66 Old 10-14-2010, 05:40 PM

After reading the posts, I wanted to add that more and more frequntly notebooks with spirals are bothering me. I end up just flipping them over and using them backwards.

Some stuff mentioned made me giggle becauses I just get upset, forgetting that the stuff makes sense for most people (like the measuring cups!)

I remember when my mom was getting me golf clubs and told me I could just golf right handed since I hadn't done it before, might as well learn that way. Um, no, doesn't work that way.

I guess I always wondered if I was somewhat ambidextrious because I do prefer to cut right handed and have no isses with the mouse. I also think I'm getting fairly good at eating right handed because I usually have a baby on my left side/arm.

Oh and eating out at restaurants, I never had a problem because I keep my elbow at my side and move my arm straight up and down - not out to the side. DH is a rightie and totally keeps his right arm way out. He also curls his hand when writing, like a traditional leftie, even though he's right-handed.

Mama to three

#29 of 66 Old 10-14-2010, 05:42 PM

There are right handed school desks?

In todays world most things you can get right handed you can also get left handed. I also happen to know that on PC's at least, you can change the button assignments on the mouse to make it left handed. DD did that in April for an April fools joke.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#30 of 66 Old 10-14-2010, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole730 View Post
After reading the posts, I wanted to add that more and more frequntly notebooks with spirals are bothering me.
Isn't that universal though? I mean, assuming that people use both sides of the paper, the spiral will be in everyone's way half the time. Spiral notebooks bother me too (when I'm writing on the back of the paper) and I'm right-handed. Or do most people only use one side of each sheet of paper?

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page