Colorblindness (know anyone?) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-19-2010, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow! That is crazy! Thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
The colorblind gene is on the X chromosome. That's why it's so prevalent in men. The Y is smaller and can't compensate. It takes two colorblind X's to make a girl colorblind.

I found this: http://colorfilter.wickline.org/ It's a filter you put in a website and how you want to see it (red/green colorblind for example) and it filters it. So this is how someone with no red cones would see MDC http://colorfilter.wickline.org/?a=1...iscussions;t=p

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poddi View Post
My little son is color-blind. This came as a real shock as there's nobody else in the family has it. My mother was adopted so we think she might be a carrier. It's just hard to accept because all males before he came along got the good X.

I have done a lot of studying since then and played around with color simulators. Now I can look at anything, squint a bit and imagine what he sees and I'm correct most of the time.
It's great that you've figured it out so soon and can do that. Dh says that a lot of his color confusion isn't from not seeing the colors but from not getting the right terminology young enough.

For instance, he can see blue and purple fine but tends to think that blue is a lighter shade.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiseau View Post
I have a minor deficiency distinguishing black and other dark colors. I can argue endlessly with my finace about a certain shirt being black when it's in fact dark blue or vv.
Dh does this too. I'm like, unless you're closer to me AND in better lighting we are NOT having another "orange" hat incident (we were going to stay out on a park bench (Chicago in January) until someone wearing pink came by--30 minutes after a person in a pink hat came by some one came with a pink he could see.)
Old 10-19-2010, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
He can not see any blue at all, he hates blue in fact because he doesn't know what it looks like.
sorry but i just had to ask. what colour is the sky for him? or the lake (blue water body)? what about clouds in the blue sky? can he see those?

would be an awesome experience to make a movie to show how a colour 'blind' person sees the world.

hmmmm

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 10-19-2010, 09:22 PM

I know someone who is and I myself have had color problems that they never could quite figure out, but it wasn't noticed until I temporarily went blind in the one eye. Weird. I think I am fine now, though.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

Old 10-19-2010, 09:34 PM

My DH and also his Sister are color blind. I always have to help DH if he is doing any wiring because he cant tell the different colored wires apart .. LOL ---- good thing he never wanted to be an electrician!
Old 10-19-2010, 10:31 PM

Dad is semi-colorblind. He can't tell the difference between blues and greens. He also has a lot of trouble with pastels and dark colors, they all just go to off white or black.

Mom painted the dining room a very subtle shade of pink, and dad thought we were all trying to play a joke on him and the room was really cream colored. So next time the dining room needed painting she chose a bolder more obvious pink, and he still won't believe it is pink.

An old friend of mine from school is colorblind, but I'm not sure of the details.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
Old 10-19-2010, 10:48 PM

Dh and his brother and his uncle are color blind. Red/green/brown can often look the same, pink and white look the same, and blue/purple look the same. Dh often asks for help matching clothes, but mostly wears simple things that go together ie jeans and a tshirt or memorizes which tie goes with which suit, etc.

Miriam
Mom to two daughters born in 1997 and 2000
Old 10-19-2010, 11:34 PM

WE had a friend who couldn't really tell browns & reds. He was always wearing pink socks & shirts, which was funny b/c he was the image of man. Burly, like the guy on the brawny paper towels... We would tease him endlessly. Also, apparently he accidentally painted his shutters on his house pink but didn't know until his friend dropped him off from work one day & asked why his shutters were pink. He was mad at his ex wife for a while over that one!

My dad has sort of the opposite problem - he sees colors very differently b/c he is a printer on a 4 color press, so he sees everything in different shades than normal people. More detailed, maybe. I "inherited" a little bit of this wierdness, as is evidenced by a long-standing argument over an orange couch we used to have that my husband insisted was pink, but I thought was more orange/salmony.

Are we all looking at the same tree? :
Old 10-19-2010, 11:36 PM

My little boy is colorblind.
When he draws a landscape it goes like this:
grass is red
tree brances and trunk are green
leaves are brown.
All of the animals are usually red or green.

You should see his rainbow.
Poor little guy. He sure is cute.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:25 AM

DH's son-in-law is monochromatic. He has a film degree and one of the course requirements was color theory. He said it was the hardest class he ever took. If you name one color for him as a reference, he can usually do pretty well getting other nearby colors. The sad thing is, his parents and teachers didn't know that he was colorblind until he was in elementary school and they actually held him back in kindergarten because of it, before he was diagnosed

I used to work in a cafe and we had the espresso menu written on a black board in the fluorescent chalk-markers. A monochromatic customer came in and said that he couldn't tell that anything was written on the board at all. Kind of makes you wonder, like a PP said, how they see the world.

My oldest DD supposedly had very delayed development of red and green cones, or something like that. She was textbook red/green colorblind but outgrew it by the age of 4 when her cones matured. Had me thinking she was switched at birth or something LOL

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

Old 10-20-2010, 01:03 AM

DH has some major color deficiencies. He is Red/Green, Blue/Yellow and Red/Yellow color blind I believe. He tends to wear a lot of black, since he can see it and figure out it matches.

One cute story is we were driving shortly after DS turned forward facing in the car and the light turned green, DS said, "Green Light!" and DH turned to me and said "The Green Light is really Green? I thought it was white and they just called it that." So apparently for 30+ odd years he had thought green lights were white and didn't understand why they were called green lights.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
Old 10-20-2010, 01:23 AM

My son played hockey with a boy who was red/green colorblind and he had a brother who saw everything in black/white and shades of grey. They were the first in the family that anyone knew of...........
Old 10-20-2010, 01:42 AM

My father and son are colorblind. They can't tell green from brown and purple from blue (they do fine with pink, yellow, orange and sometimes red). When my DS was little he thought humans were green--some were light green and others were dark green. He just wouldn't believe me when I told him this wasn't the case.

Cindycaffix.gif, wife to soapbox.gif, mama to DD1 (4/97)lol.gif, DD2 (3/99)bouncy.gif, DS (4/03)biggrinbounce.gif, and DD3 (6/07)energy.gif, 3 cat.gif, and 10 chicken3.gif.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramama View Post
DH's son-in-law is monochromatic. He has a film degree and one of the course requirements was color theory. He said it was the hardest class he ever took. If you name one color for him as a reference, he can usually do pretty well getting other nearby colors.

Ramama - did he memorise the colour wheel so knew what was coming next. or did he figure out a way to monochromatically figure out the 'grey' version of the colour. funny he has a film degree.

I used to work in a cafe and we had the espresso menu written on a black board in the fluorescent chalk-markers. A monochromatic customer came in and said that he couldn't tell that anything was written on the board at all.
wow just wow!!!! wonder what else does not 'exist' for them. or how do they perceive depth. is that right on or is it warped somewhat?!!! is it as simple as a black and white movie?!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34me View Post
he had a brother who saw everything in black/white and shades of grey.
wow this is FASCINATING stuff. really. can you imagine living in a world of just black and white and shades of grey. use that to guess that object is 2 feet or 5 feet or 15 feet away from you.

or on the other end of the scale those who see enhanced colours? wonder how they see the world.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 10-20-2010, 03:46 AM

An eye dr told me it was pretty rare for a girl to be color blind but many men are. Apparently I am green color blind with shades? I also met another lady with the same dx. Like supposedly i can't tell the difference between different shades of green. Just made me paranoid. lol. I keep wondering if I'm missing something.

I painted my daughters room pastel green. I painted it like 3 times. I couldn't put my finger on it but every green I picked when I brought it home just looked hideous. I could not find "pastel" green. It was seriously disturbing me. I had them custom done and everything and still irked me. Then I remembered I was green color blind so maybe that was it?
Old 10-20-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirlie View Post
An eye dr told me it was pretty rare for a girl to be color blind but many men are. Apparently I am green color blind with shades? I also met another lady with the same dx. Like supposedly i can't tell the difference between different shades of green. Just made me paranoid. lol. I keep wondering if I'm missing something.

I painted my daughters room pastel green. I painted it like 3 times. I couldn't put my finger on it but every green I picked when I brought it home just looked hideous. I could not find "pastel" green. It was seriously disturbing me. I had them custom done and everything and still irked me. Then I remembered I was green color blind so maybe that was it?
We were told it is approximatly 4% of men world wide and less then 1% of women. For a boy to be colorblind his mother must be colorblind or be a carrier. For a girl to be colorblind either both parents must be coloblind or dad is and mother carries.

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
Old 10-20-2010, 09:33 AM

My dad is red/green color blind.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

User Tag List