I love dresses...on other people. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-22-2010, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The "frumpy" thread got me thinking back to the number of dresses I have tried on... and I still have not found one single one that I am willing to wear out of the house. I just can't bring myself to do it.

I went to formals and such as a teen, and I've worn a few VERY professional skirts during the few years I worked, but I have tried so many casual dresses of innumerably many styles and I just don't feel...me. I've always been more of a tomboy. I do wear some feminine looking stuff, but I feel pretty true in my jeans and my spiky hair.

So I just wanted to say...all you ladies who posted your beautiful pictures, you rock the dresses. I wish I could, because they are beautiful. But I think I'm just going to accept that it's not happening...

And maybe someone else will say they feel the same way? Because all the fashion threads in TAO make me feel kinda lonesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2010, 10:34 AM

I'm largely the same way... I feel pretty lost without wearing jeans. I'm making an effort to step out of my comfort zone, but I can only manage a skirt if I have leggings underneath it- otherwise I feel naked. :/ As for wearing a skirt that is knee length and some pretty shoe or something, I don't even know where to begin.

And, so I sit here typing while wearing jeans, a tank top, and a big oversized button down shirt.... yep, that's fashion forward....
Old 10-22-2010, 10:44 AM

I have 0 skirts and only 2 dresses in my wardrobe...one of which I wear as pajamas. I never like the shape dresses give me and right now, i am stuck in a jeans-hating phase. They ALWAYS give me a muffin top and no matter what size I get, I feel like a sausage.

wild.gifCrazy Chef-in-training baking wife(27) of geek.gif (32) mother of 2 energy.gif 11-21-03 & 9 - 13 - 07

Old 10-22-2010, 11:02 AM

I feel similarly - I *want* to like wearing dresses, but every morning, I put on a pair of jeans and a solid color tee or sweater. <sigh>
Old 10-22-2010, 11:19 AM

Well, everyone has their comfort zone. I feel pretty much that same way about pants. I own 2 pairs of pants that aren't leggings (and leggings I mainly wear as tights under dresses and long tunics). The one pair of jeans I own is about 6 years old and getting a hole and I'm ready to toss them and not replace them. I find jeans incredibly uncomfortable and never understood why they are so popular. My other pair of pants is a pair of black slacks that I hate but keep on hand in case I have to go to a funeral at the last minute and my black skirts are dirty. I've had those pants maybe 3 years and worn them maybe one time.

I kind of wish I could find pants I like and feel comfy in. When it is cold and snowy, it would be nice to feel good about the outfit I throw on to run errands and such. I normally wear my pj pants under a long skirt and tuck the skirt up while I shovel.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:35 AM

OP, I quite literally could've written your post word for word (well, sans the spiked hair haha). I LOVE dresses, just absolutely love them.. but I have never worn one outside of a funeral or a wedding or DH's company parties. I have 2 "little black dresses" in my closet.. one is funeral worthy and one is a party dress. That's it. Oh, and no skirts.

I would love to wear dresses or skirts as casual wear, but I can't justify it for myself, being a SAHM. This is NOT to that it's inappropriate in the slightest bit, I'm actually jealous of women who look so put together!

Wife and mother to 2 kiddos - 17 yr old DS jammin.gifand 13 yr old DD energy.gif.. and a cat that thinks he's a dog dizzy.gif
Old 10-22-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettinaAuSucre View Post
I have 0 skirts and only 2 dresses in my wardrobe...one of which I wear as pajamas. I never like the shape dresses give me and right now, i am stuck in a jeans-hating phase. They ALWAYS give me a muffin top and no matter what size I get, I feel like a sausage.
Bolding mine..
This is me, exactly. I blame it on the spandex in most jeans today. It doesn't flatter my petite, yet slighty flubby frame in the slightest bit. All they do is serve to flatten my pancake butt even flatter than it really is, make my lumpy thighs look even more lumpy, and give me a squishy muffin top.. which I can't seem to avoid, btw. If I wear jeans that are loose enough NOT to give me these things, they start falling down on me, causing me to have to yank them back up every time I stand back up after bending over or squatting.
I seriously can't win lol.

Wife and mother to 2 kiddos - 17 yr old DS jammin.gifand 13 yr old DD energy.gif.. and a cat that thinks he's a dog dizzy.gif
Old 10-22-2010, 03:11 PM

I hate dresses and skirts. They look okay on me - not great, but okay. But, they're so uncomfortable, and so impractical. I find pants (jeans or sweats, but the kind of sweats I like are hard to find in the age of yoga pants) much more useful.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 10-22-2010, 08:12 PM

Hi all ~ Just a quick mod note to ask you to please review the Fashion Threads sticky.

Thank you!

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:43 PM

I mostly wear dresses. I have a hard time finding pants that fit well, and dresses and skirts are so much fun to wear with boots. I do WOH, where it's less impractical to be in a dress or skirt than it was when I was SAH with really small ones.

OTOH, I am right now wearing a super-comfy pair of jeans that I paid less than $5 at Target. They're not so dang long, so I can wear them with sneakers or flats or cowboy boots.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 10-23-2010, 05:01 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
i cant stand pants. i wear mostly dresses. i am not sure which i look better in but i prefer dresses anyday to pants. however in winter i will wear thin dance pants under my dress. i get cold easily. i hate leggings. i hate anything really sticking to my skin. which is why i wear pants.

i do a couple of pairs of pants.

but i have not owned a pair of jeans in two years. the material is too thick for my liking. i live in skirts and dresses all year round.

i am petite and square.

my dd a tomboy is the same. she loves dresses with pants underneath. she will climb everywhere. when she was younger she refused jeans because they inhibit her climbing. still to date she does not find jeans comfortable.

the best thing about long dresses and skirts in summer is going without.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

User Tag List