Camera Question!!! Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-27-2010, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, my six year old digital camera has finally kicked the bucket. It was an Olympus point & shoot. It worked well for what it was. Now it is a fancy baby chew toy.

Now I'm looking into getting a DSLR because I think they will take better pictures in various situations. (My house has horrible lighting inside, I want to take great macros, I want artsy shots of my kids, want to take framable shots of the gorgeous scenery here in Oregon, etc.) At the same time I'm a cheapskate and it HUUURTS to spend so much money on a camera.

I'm looking at Canons because I've heard a lot of great things about them, and my SIL with the photography degree has one.

Right now I'm favoring the cheapest model, the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS, because, well, it costs the least.

Does anyone know or have experience with this kind of camera, will I be happy? Are you happy with your camera? Even though it's the cheapest, will I be happy with the pictures?

???????

Halp! I don't want to buy the "cheap" expensive camera and regret it later. It's so hard for me to pony up so much money! (Not necessarily financially but emotionally!)

Wife to dh and mommy to dd1 (3/07), ds (1/10), and dd2 (any day now)!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2010, 04:06 PM

I have a PowerShoot and I agree that Canon is just the best. I love it. I wish I could tell you more about the XS. Amazon often has great, amazing deals on cameras. I've had mine for three years and that's with kids, the beach, two moves, and I'll be honest... I'm not that great with electronics.

So IMO Canons are definitely worth the money.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 10-27-2010, 05:22 PM

Oh! I had a thread on digitals SLRs awhile back and everyone was really helpful. Let me go find it!!

Here ya go! http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ghlight=camera

ETA: We ended up having to put the $$ toward something else, but fortunately my current camera still works and I am saving up again.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We have that model and love it. I am not a camera person (it's DP's), but I can work it just fine and have taken some amazing shots. If you keep your eyes out you should be able to find some great deals on it online or near you.

DD 2/08
Old 10-28-2010, 05:20 AM

DH has one, I use it regularly, and it's a WONDERFUL entry-level DSLR. And really, it has a lot of bells and whistles. If I remember correctly, it has a few features that the model up doesn't have. But we have been exceptionally happy with ours.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

Old 10-28-2010, 10:58 AM

My FIL has that one, he loves it. So does my MIL who is not a camera person, but has taken some really neat shots with it. I have a fancier version that I adore. Both of our cameras produce the same quality photos, I just get a few more features to play with.

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.

User Tag List