Thank you cards- how much do they matter to you - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Thank you cards- how do you feel?
Yes, thank you cards are essential! 67 39.41%
I could go either way 14 8.24%
Thank you cards are not necessary- save a tree and thank me in person/some other way 84 49.41%
Other (explain) 5 2.94%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 92 Old 11-01-2010, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think etiquette dictates that if you receive a gift in person and have the opportunity to thank the giver then, a thank you note is unnecessary. But I like sending thank you notes and am a stickler about them. I don't expect them from people I give gifts to, because they seem to be falling out of custom, but I always appreciate them. And older generations often do expect them, so not sending one could indeed be offensive to them.

And I will admit that I've stopped gifting one friend because she could never be bothered to reciprocate my gift-giving or even acknowledge it with a phone call or card. After about eight years of unmentioned wedding, birthday, Christmas, and baby gifts I've just stopped giving her anything.

That said, complaining about someone else's poor etiquette is incredibly rude. If your aunt indeed did so (this is all hearsay through your grandmother though, so be careful here), she was much ruder than you were IMHO. (But I agree that you should send thank you notes for your wedding gifts.)

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 92 Old 11-02-2010, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchick View Post
Dear Aunt, Thank you for the "Even though you're a Jew, Jesus still loves you" plaque. It was so kind of you to think of us! We loved seeing you at our wedding, you can really cut a rug! Love, Niece and Nephew-in-law

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page