Would you get a tummy tuck? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 81 Old 10-29-2010, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegirl View Post
After a year of maintenance my tummy pouch shrunk a lot! I so know what skin you are talking about...but with time, lots of hydration and hopefully youth on your side for elastisty, the skin will firm up a lot.
How much skin is left after time goes by varies from person to person, and the older we are when we lose the weight, the less elastic it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
Is it always? I've stareted the Tupler Technique a couple of times (keep getting sidetracked - this time was illness). But, she says in her books that some cases will require surgery.
It's not always, but in many cases it is. Doing yoga with an excellent teacher for a LONG period of time did wonders for mine.

This isn't something that you could work on for a month or two and get results, this is commitment of years. If I'd been doing it just for the tummy, I'd have quite. I was doing the yoga because I love yoga, but tummy part was a side benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly View Post
So would I be willing to accept 2 years of swelling, incisions opening up, a disfigured belly button, and the stomach still not looking good?
If I focused on negative flight experiences, I'd never get on a airplane.

Last year I had my eyes lazered, and a lot of people say the same things about it. I could wear contacts before, so it's not like I couldn't see. And it was painful and expensive, but it was also empowering. This is MY body. This is MY life. This is how I want things to be.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 81 Old 10-29-2010, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't get my tummy done, but I would like to get a breast lift in the next few years. I understand that it *is* just cosmetic for me, but it really affects me during sex, especially.

I always thought that elective surgery was a terrible idea and couldn't possibly be a good idea, but I am just not comfortable with my body. I am still young (27) and I don't want to think about this for the rest of my life.

We'll see. I am not sure that I will be able to pull the trigger and spend all that money, but right now, I would like to.
#63 of 81 Old 10-29-2010, 12:38 PM

If it's what you want, sure.

I have to say, I thought I was destined for one inevitably. I had horrible skin stretching/sagging and stretch marks. It was bad after one pregnancy, worse after the second. I was told by several professionals that the only resolution would be a tummy tuck.

I've now lost some weight, a reasonable amount. I'm losing it right, slowly and steadily, no upward fluctuation, eating well and exercising moderately. And.... the pooch is shrinking. I'm really very hopeful that when I get to a point where I feel my weight is right, my belly will not be at a point significant enough that I will feel like I need a tummy tuck.
#64 of 81 Old 10-29-2010, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Last year I posted this question on the fitness board and most people said no. I think I'd be sorely tempted if I already have c-section scars, but as I've never had any surgery my body is perfect, I just can't do it just to have flat tummy.

Most moms will have a bit of belly. That's just normal and expected. My tummy actually looks smaller after I gained some weight. I think I got bigger boobs and butt so in comparison my tummy seems flatter.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#65 of 81 Old 10-30-2010, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
It's not always, but in many cases it is. Doing yoga with an excellent teacher for a LONG period of time did wonders for mine.

This isn't something that you could work on for a month or two and get results, this is commitment of years. If I'd been doing it just for the tummy, I'd have quite. I was doing the yoga because I love yoga, but tummy part was a side benefit.
I've been doing yoga intermittently since I was about 8. I used to love it. Since my abs went, I hate it. Everything feels funky, and poses that used to be easy are just completely impossible. Exercise has become a really negative experience, honestly...which sucks in its own right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poddi View Post
I think I'd be sorely tempted if I already have c-section scars, but as I've never had any surgery my body is perfect...
Okay - I'm trying to keep calm, because I'm sure you didn't mean that to come out as offensively as it did, but...wow. Believe it or not, having a c-section scar and being no longer "perfect" doesn't mean one will happily sign up for more and more surgery. I have a c-section scar, and I really don't want any more surgical scars.

I doubt I'd have ever considered a tummy tuck, but I can honestly say that my surgical experiences and c-sections scars make me less likely to do it. Getting cut open pretty much sucked, and adding more and more internal scarring hasn't ever been an improvement, yk?

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#66 of 81 Old 10-30-2010, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Sorry if it offended you. I certainly don't mean bodies with scars are not perfect. I have scars at other places and they don't bother me. I mostly thought I'd be less afraid of surgeries if I had previous ones. I guess that's not true? I have never seen anybody's c-section scars, can you believe it? I know it's really common, but I don't have close friends or family who had one. People naturally are afraid of something they don't know about or haven't experienced.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#67 of 81 Old 10-30-2010, 01:56 AM

Oh - I can believe you haven't seen anybody's c-sections scars. IME, most of us don't go around showing them off much...except, in some circumstances, with other moms who have them.

Sorry to be grumpy. I'm having some trouble with the c-section thing (again) right now, so I'm probably too touchy. I think the thing about being less afraid of surgeries if you've had one depends on many things...including the prior surgical experience. Surgery scared me - a lot - before my first c-section. It scares me a whole lot more, now that I've had five.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#68 of 81 Old 10-30-2010, 06:08 PM

I might think about it after Ive had a couple more kids. I used to think I would never get any elective procedure, but Id LOVE to decrease boob size back down to a DD and hike em' up a little.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#69 of 81 Old 10-31-2010, 02:55 AM

Not the EXACT same thing, however....I'm planning on getting my breasts pulled back up where they belong and a reduction after I have all my kids. I don't see a problem with it...you need to be happy with your body, and if this is what it takes then do it! More power to you mama!

I'm also doing it for medical reasons...I cant wear an under wire bra bc my ds stretched out my ribs, so the wire digs in. But I need the support bc I have D's that are heavy. When I'm pg, I have a hard time breathing bc of my bra. So I'm hoping to get them 'done' so I don't have to even wear a bra.

Good luck with your decision!
#70 of 81 Old 10-31-2010, 09:36 AM

I have had "elective cosmetic" surgery (a breast reduction), and if anything, that made me more comfortable with the idea of a tummy tuck. My reduction was super easy, no issues.
#71 of 81 Old 10-31-2010, 12:11 PM

OP, I was going to recommend the Mummy Tummy book- it really helped my diastasis.
As for surgery, if I were really miserable/depressed about my stomach and could do it then I would.

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
#72 of 81 Old 10-31-2010, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would if that were my problem area. I see nothing wrong with it.
#73 of 81 Old 10-31-2010, 04:05 PM

Interesting thread. I have wanted a tummy tuck since I had my youngest DD. Now that I have gotten divorced, lost a lot of weight etc. I want one even more. I don't have the comfort of having a DH that loves me how I am because I had his children. I want to look and feel my best when I go out into the dating world. I def. don't take the risks of surgery lightly, but it is something that would boost my self esteem and comfort (I have a lot of loose skin and overhang from 2 c-sections, pregnancy, weight gain etc and the skin gets irritated) than I don't see any problem with it. Of couse being a single student mom I don't know how I would ever affort it and would never splurge on something like that when I don't have the means to do it. So for now I am stuck with it. If I ever do have the extra money though I will def. go for it!

Student/Working Mama notes.gifgeek.gif
to DD 1dust.gif & DD 2energy.gif & engaged to DFpartners.gif

#74 of 81 Old 10-31-2010, 05:44 PM

i would absolutely get a tummy tuck! i really do hope to at some point. my issue is that i am only 24 and would really like to have more children first, but it could be ten years before that happens!

i am on my weightloss journey and when i get to my goal weight and stay there for at least a year, if my stomach looks the way i imagine it will i will def. get one. if i meet someone before that happens then i will wait until i finish having all the babies!

#75 of 81 Old 10-31-2010, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinekristine View Post
i would absolutely get a tummy tuck! i really do hope to at some point. my issue is that i am only 24 and would really like to have more children first, but it could be ten years before that happens!
From what I've read, it's really best to be all done having children first. They cut out all the extra skin, so there is less elasticity in the ab section afterward. Pregnancy could be difficult. Plus, pregnancy would most likely ruin the tuck, so you'd need another one after having more kids.

For me, it's up there with sterilization. It's an "I'm all done making babies, and now I can do whatever the heck I want to with my body because it's ALL MINE" thing. (I know I sound like a crazy 3 year old, but I tandem nursed, had a family bed for 6 years, etc. and I'm really liking my body being mine again).

If it weren't for the darn private school, I'd go get one tomorrow! Some day, my money will be mine too.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#76 of 81 Old 10-31-2010, 09:57 PM

If I thought I needed it I would have no problem getting one done (same with any other cosmetic surgery).

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#77 of 81 Old 03-23-2014, 11:49 PM

I have tried lots of different weigh loss things since having my kids and no matter what it is I still can't get back to my 'pre-baby body'. I'm usually not the sort of person who is too concerned about appearance etc but I just don't feel like myself. I've been looking recently into mummy makeover brisbane and have found this one place where I've got a preliminary appointment booked. Still not sure if it's right for me but I'm happy to see here that I wouldn't be alone in going ahead with something like this

#78 of 81 Old 03-25-2014, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

No, I wouldn't because I just don't want anything invasive unless it's life or death.

beanma likes this.

Cheerfulness enables us to remember no problem lasts forever ~ Unknown
#79 of 81 Old 03-29-2014, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
No. Not because I don't "need" one or want one. But I have adhesions and numbness still from my myomectomy over a decade ago. The scar is the same as a C-section or mini tuck scar and I can't imagine doing that again for looks. However, if I had to have the adhesions removed (a possibility with my issues), and doing a mini tuck would be within the realm of possibility without further damage, I'd consider it. Mostly because of my surgery scars, not from a Mummy Tummy. I do want breast implants, though. Seriously-I'd get them if I could afford it.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#80 of 81 Old 03-30-2014, 02:01 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Hmmm. I started to say I wouldn't get cosmetic surgery for myself although I would never judge another for doing it. But I'm working extra hours and scrimping wherever I can right now to get my teeth fixed because I'm desperate to look "normal" again....and now that I think about it that IS a cosmetic procedure.
#81 of 81 Old 05-16-2014, 01:12 AM

My mom got one and had a rough recovery. She did not expect that kind of pain, and she's had other medical surgeries before.

I have a lot of loose skin. I notice that when I wear my back support belt at work and at home (kinda like a girdle) my skin is less saggy for a long time afterwards. My back issue comes and goes but I think it works a bit like a bra to support that skin and try to bring it back into shape. 

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page