Would you get a tummy tuck? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 81 Old 10-27-2010, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am seriously considering it once I lose all the weight. I have 50 lbs to lose and once that is gone I know I will be left with a horrible looking stomach. I have had 3 c-sections and I have a diastasis recti (separation of the stomach muscles causing a weird bulgy looking appearance). No amount of exercise will get rid of that. I know it's vain, but I don't care! lol The only thing I'm worried about is the pain! So would anyone else get one??
DayDreamer2 likes this.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#2 of 81 Old 10-27-2010, 09:45 PM

I've seriously considered it. What's stopping me is the cost of the surgery (my insurance won't cover it) and the prospect of a long healing time.

autismribbon.gif

#3 of 81 Old 10-27-2010, 09:47 PM

Oh, in a freakin' NY minute. I think.

The pluses: I totally hear you on the body appearance stuff - I've only had one C-section, but am self-conscious about the way my abs look as a result. It would be really nice to have a smoother belly.

The minuses: $$$, plus cosmetic surgery seems like a really complicated thing to me - not totally comfortable about the message it would send to my dd, etc. And surgery is no small thing, medically/emotionally.

I don't think you're vain.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#4 of 81 Old 10-27-2010, 10:02 PM

My skin is finally tightening up a bit, I think..But I still have that weird "butt" hangy thing under my belly button...But every week or so I think about how nice it would be to just chop it off...I've never had a real flat belly, but it drives me batty now.

So yeah, if I could afford it, I'd totally do it. And I'd love some lipo on my inner thighs..lol
#5 of 81 Old 10-27-2010, 10:13 PM

Heck yes! I've never been overweight, but this is my third baby and I'm thinking if I've got any leftover pooch when I'm done breastfeeding, I'll save up and get the full mommy makeover. Why not? I'd never do plastic surgery if it was going to bankrupt me or the family would suffer for it... But it sounds like you deserve it.

Bri helpmeet to Chaise mama to K(2/07)  M(3/09) & A(2/11)

#6 of 81 Old 10-27-2010, 10:32 PM

Would I get one, no. But I don't care if you do.
#7 of 81 Old 10-27-2010, 11:28 PM

NO! After a very rough recovery from a hysterectomy and bladder repair this summer, I would never even consider elective surgery. The pain and feeling of helplessness are too fresh. But if it would make you happy, I hope you can do it!
Neera likes this.
#8 of 81 Old 10-27-2010, 11:29 PM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IxIa View Post
I've seriously considered it. What's stopping me is the cost of the surgery (my insurance won't cover it) and the prospect of a long healing time.
This. Plus, as I get older I just don't care as much. My ugly tummy bothered me much more when I was in my twenties.
#9 of 81 Old 10-27-2010, 11:33 PM

If lost the weight and decided I cared enough, sure. But not until I get a breast reduction!!
#10 of 81 Old 10-27-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post
This. Plus, as I get older I just don't care as much. My ugly tummy bothered me much more when I was in my twenties.
This is me, too. I'm comin' up on 40 and I'm less bothered by my body than I was earlier in life. I already know what my breasts look after nursing 4 babies, and they're almost comically small and deflated, but whatever. My dh doesn't care.

That's not to say I don't want to do "stuff." Personally, I'm more concerned about the bits that show over the bits covered by clothing. I want laser on my face to get rid of the huge pores, acne scars and sun spots.

OP, do whatever feels right to you

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#11 of 81 Old 10-27-2010, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalisa View Post
If lost the weight and decided I cared enough, sure. But not until I get a breast reduction!!
I already had a breast reduction when I was 20. I was a J cup!!! I went down to a C cup. There were some issues with infection and my scars are still very visible but I don't regret it for a second.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#12 of 81 Old 10-28-2010, 12:06 AM

i totally would if it was bothering me. honestly i have skin just from pregnancy and even a small amount really bothers me to the point where i cannot wear any tight pants or jeans. the skin gets irritated and ugh i dunno. i am not at all into elective surgery but honestly sometimes i totally get why people do it. (this coming from someone who has never been to a hospital for anything )

mama to one '07 and one '09
#13 of 81 Old 10-28-2010, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
me? no. even if i had the means to do so it is totally unimportant to me.

but if its important to you i dont see why you cant.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#14 of 81 Old 10-28-2010, 01:06 AM

I've lost a ton of weight lately and as I near my goal weight, I see that this skin isn't going anywhere, but I don't think I'd ever get a tummy tuck.

My aunt has a decent apron that gets yeast infections where her skin folds over itself. That would suck. I would consider it under her circumstances.

My best friend got one last year but hadn't lost weight on her own and didn't learn discipline enough so she's gained weight back and looks like a stuffed sausage.

They cost a lot of money.

I think it would send a terrible message to my daughter.

I've never been much into looks.

I think I'd rather spend a hundred bucks every year and just get a really awesome pair of jeans.

My DH isn't bothered by the way i look. He loves our babies and appreciates the sacrifices I have made to get them here.

It bothers me how flippant some can be about such a major surgery.

...these are my thoughts.
Neera likes this.
#15 of 81 Old 10-28-2010, 01:10 AM

No! I would not have ANY surgery unless something was interfering wih my health. There are so many possible complications.
Neera likes this.
#16 of 81 Old 10-28-2010, 01:20 AM

I may get my diastasis closed up surgically. I don't like it, but it does cause me some problems, and if I can't fix it with exercise, I don't see any other reasonable option. It will be at least a couple of years, though. A tummy tuck? I wouldn't get one, but to each their own. I hate surgery, and just thinking about doing the one for the separation makes me want to cry.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#17 of 81 Old 10-28-2010, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrariety View Post
My best friend got one last year but hadn't lost weight on her own and didn't learn discipline enough so she's gained weight back and looks like a stuffed sausage.
Aside from the fact that this image gives me the giggles... It's a valid point. It might be something you want to wait on so you know for SURE you're going to be around the size you are (or end up) for a good long time.

#18 of 81 Old 10-28-2010, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Music View Post
Aside from the fact that this image gives me the giggles... It's a valid point. It might be something you want to wait on so you know for SURE you're going to be around the size you are (or end up) for a good long time.
Lol! Don't tell her I said that! ...but it's totally true!! It just looks sooooo unnatural.
#19 of 81 Old 10-28-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrariety View Post
Lol! Don't tell her I said that! ...but it's totally true!! It just looks sooooo unnatural.
Your secret is safe with me.

#20 of 81 Old 10-28-2010, 01:41 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I've thought about. I lost 70 pounds and I'm maintaining. I had two c-sections, (one done by a resident!), and have adhesions in the scars. My diastasis recti looks far better after years of solid yoga practice, but it could look even better.

I've watched the videos of the surgery and I'm OK with it.

But we decided to put the kids in private school and can't afford both!

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#21 of 81 Old 10-28-2010, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
No, because I'm raising daughter. I don't want her to think that beauty comes at the cost of a surgeon's knife. Or that she and me could only be beautiful after we are altered. Gross.
Neera likes this.
#22 of 81 Old 10-28-2010, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I may get my diastasis closed up surgically. I don't like it, but it does cause me some problems, and if I can't fix it with exercise, I don't see any other reasonable option. It will be at least a couple of years, though. A tummy tuck? I wouldn't get one, but to each their own. I hate surgery, and just thinking about doing the one for the separation makes me want to cry.

This is pretty close to my situation, too, but it has already been a couple of years - my youngest is 3, so I need to make a decision soon. The thought of surgery upsets me, but I also have a bit of an umbilical hernia lurking behind the widely separated stomach muscles so it would be more for medical reasons... UGH.... Hate the thought of surgery!
Neera likes this.

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

#23 of 81 Old 10-28-2010, 02:13 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post
No, because I'm raising daughter. I don't want her to think that beauty comes at the cost of a surgeon's knife. Or that she and me could only be beautiful after we are altered. Gross.
While I completely see where you are coming from and would agree on "just for beauty" I think there are far MORE reasons.

I have never had a csection but pregnancy and other health issues have caused some problems. *if* I am able to lose the excess weight (almost all is in my stomach) and maintain it AND I was done having kids, I would definitely consider it. NOT for the "look" or "beauty" but because the skin that alrady "hangs" is uncomfortable and could lead to more potential health problems. In fact if (and hopefully when) the weight comes off I don't doubt that the extra skin will have a high potential to interfere with my daily life (it already does)... And I would think I would have a pretty good chance of having it covered.

Now if it shifted how it sat and a good pair of underwear or pants could fix it then no.

And I have girls AND I think it would send appositive message to them. I for one was always against plastic surgery but now that my body has changed SO much as has my comfort level my opinion has changed. Not all cosmetic surgery is bad. Or done for the wrong reasons... Even if it is "just a boob job"
Posted via Mobile Device

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30********40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#24 of 81 Old 10-28-2010, 03:56 AM

Possibly, if I'm able to get the weight off and keep it off. I'm pretty sure I will have a large apron of skin hanging down in front because all my weight is in my belly and abdomen instead of evenly distributed all over. If it keeps me from being able to fit into clothes properly and causes skin infections, itchies, etc, then yes I probably would have one done.
#25 of 81 Old 10-28-2010, 09:43 AM

I would be afraid to undergo any elective surgery if it weren't for health reasons. That said, I've never been left with a saggy tummy from weight loss or pregnancy. If I had, I can definitely see getting a tummy tuck. I would never judge a person on their decision to undergo such a procedure.
#26 of 81 Old 10-28-2010, 09:54 AM

If it were to remove excess skin, than yes. I have no illusions of being the ideal beauty according to the media. I'm always going to be plus sized and I'm okay with that, but I also plan on losing about 40lbs and if that leaves a bunch of skin, I'm not okay with that. I don't want to be a size 2 or 4 or 6 or 8 or 10, though a 12 would be nice, I'm gunning for a 14, and I do want to feel comfortable in the skin I'm in and that doesn't include me having a bunch of excess skin.

I'm also considering a breast reduction, why? Because these things freaking hurt!

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
#27 of 81 Old 10-28-2010, 10:14 AM

Maybe. I like the idea of a tummy tuck because I have lost a bit of weight over the years and even at my smallest, I have extra skin and a pooch. They actually make buying clothes awkward, since I can't really go up in size since then the tops never fit my arms, chest. etc but if I get something in my size I look pregnant unless I am wearing Spanx.

That said, I had umbilical hernia repair surgery this spring and the recovery was not nice at all, so that would make me hesitate. In the end even seemingly small surgeries have the potential for something to go wrong. In my case the surgeon said my recovery would be a good week, it was 6 weeks before I began to feel halfway normal and months before I could pick up anything greater than 10 lbs without screaming.

At this point I am thinking of buying stock in Spanx and seeing if I can find ole time girdles like my Granny used to wear.

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#28 of 81 Old 10-28-2010, 11:18 AM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brymommy View Post
Not all cosmetic surgery is bad. Or done for the wrong reasons.
Part of the problem is that most people lump all elective surgeries in with "cosmetic" surgery, which skews perception.

My good friend is a breast cancer survivor. She had a lumpectomy, with radiation and chemo, and recovered. But a few years later she found another lump. It was benign. Then another lump, which was benign. After several stressful encounters with lumps, she chose to undergo a double mastectomy for her mental health.

Elective? Yes. Cosmetic? No.

If I were to have a tummy tuck, it would be purely cosmetic. I have a c-section pooch and ripply skin across my belly, but it doesn't cause any health problems. I've seen some pretty impressive aprons of skin that hang, though. Large, pendulous breasts can also cause rashes and can give way to chronic discomfort and yeast infections. I wouldn't say that surgery to fix those conditions is merely cosmetic in nature.
#29 of 81 Old 10-28-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayinme View Post
At this point I am thinking of buying stock in Spanx and seeing if I can find ole time girdles like my Granny used to wear.
Yup. Have you seen those "tummy tuck" jeans? My sister has a pair, and they are quite impressive.

I have to say that throughout my life, I have been surrounded by the women in my family who have a such an awesome, healthy view about matronly bodies that I just always expected to have the body I have and wasn't ever disgusted by the idea of it... I hope to impart that to my own daughter.

It's easy to get down about it. It's frustrating that when I go shopping, pants are hard to find that fit around my hips and are gigantic thru the thigh... but I'm not going to get down on myself to the point of cutting part of my body off because I don't fit in cookie cutter clothes! I'll get custom tailored jeans.

Clothes should be tailored to us, not us to them.
Neera likes this.
#30 of 81 Old 10-28-2010, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
2xy I definitely agree with what you are saying but I really did mean "cosmetic" surgery. While I may agree it is often over used and probably often for the wrong reasons, I don't think it is always done for the wrong reasons either. Not all purely cosmetic surgery *is* bad.

If that was the case then everything from how we bathed, wore our hair, wore clothes that fit our body or even put on sunscreen or avoided the sun or wore make up or jewelry or....

Sure some could be considered "health" but then if we truly wanted to live with NO emphasis on how we look at all then NONE of that should matter.

But the thing is even just wearing proper fitting clothes or cutting your hair or bathing can be about COMFORT rather than looks. In the same a person might get purely cosmetic tummy tucks or breast implants with no need or elective need for their own comfort level that has nothing to do with beauty. And I know I have come to terms that for those people it is entirely OK.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30********40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page