Disneyland at almost 8 mths pg? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 11-05-2010, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you think? We're considering a trip to Disneyland in lieu of under-the-tree presents this year. We'd get the 3-day park-hopper passes to make it worth our time and money, but I'll be mighty pregnant by then. Do you think it's a crazy idea? Has anyone ever done it? I won't be able to ride much, I know, but I'll probably do a lot with our toddler while dh does the "big" rides with the older kids. What do you think? Will I and the toddler and I have enough to do to fill all three days? Will I be too exhausted to enjoy any of it? Opinions please!

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#2 of 23 Old 11-05-2010, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I went to Disneyland several times while pregnant (we have annual passes and are going later today actually! ). My DS was 3 at the time, so we were just going on the kiddie rides anyway and it was fine.

Three days would be too much for us since we go regularly, but if you go infrequently I don't think you'll have any trouble filling up the time. I could easily see spending one full day at each of the 2 parks, between waiting in line, breaking for meals, and maybe going back to the hotel for a short nap in the afternoon. Then spend the 3rd day redoing stuff you guys really enjoyed.

CA Adventure has tons of really cool stuff that your toddler would probably love to do at a slower pace while the bigger kids do other stuff. The Hollywood Backlot has lots of stuff my DS loves, like Turtle Talk (with Crush from Finding Nemo), the Monsters Inc. ride, an animation lesson where you learn to draw a Disney character, and all kinds of other cool stuff that you can spend a few hours doing if you really take your time and check out everything. (And you do some of those activities while seated, so it'd give you a chance to rest too.)

Have fun!

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#3 of 23 Old 11-05-2010, 07:30 PM

I am almost 30 weeks pregnant right now, and there is no way I'd make it at disneyland, lol. Just walking walmart gets me all swollen and exhausted!

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#4 of 23 Old 11-05-2010, 08:51 PM

I am 6 months right now, and there is no way I could do Disneyland, even now. Just thinking about the "adventure" of getting from the parking lot to the main entrance is making me tired.

But if you are not a swollen, exhausted miserable pregnant mess, than I think that there is plenty that you and your toddler would enjoy while the rest of the family does the big rides.

Cristina, Mama to Michael 03-16-06, Nathan 01-16-11, and an angel 01-20-09,
Go with your gut, follow your heart.
#5 of 23 Old 11-06-2010, 12:01 AM

I wouldn't want to go simply because most of the rides would be off limits. If you want to shop til you drop, then clearly you can fill your time. But I would hate to pay that much money just to shop. Those multi day park hoppers aren't cheap! Of course your little one will have fun, and as long as you normally have the stamina to keep going you could have fun, but I would just wait if I were you.
#6 of 23 Old 11-06-2010, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm starting to think it's a no-go. I am so exhausted now as it is. It can only be worse in December. Sigh. I really don't want to do the whole pointless-gifts and toys under the tree thing this year.

#7 of 23 Old 11-06-2010, 04:25 AM

i would totally go! i can't wait until next fall when we are planning on going. lol
if your gonna have a little one with you you can do all the little kid stuff. i think it would be way fun. but then i LOVE disneyland. lol

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#8 of 23 Old 11-06-2010, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Could you put the tickets under the tree with some Disney souvenirs or backpacks or what-have-you, but go a few months after the baby's born? Might be a fun thing to look forward to. Doing Disneyland with a baby would limit you to some degree, but not as much as doing it pregnant. You could use Child Swap for the "scary"/extreme/jerky rides, instead of having to skip them altogether.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#9 of 23 Old 11-06-2010, 11:30 AM

I think there is way too much walking around and crowds and germs to go at 8 months. Just mho.
#10 of 23 Old 11-06-2010, 11:55 AM

I would get the multi-passes for DH and the older ones, and plan for you to stay with toddler at the hotel pool most days. Maybe one day for you and the toddler in the park with DH and the older sibs. Toddler will probably prefer paddling around in a shallow pool and won't know what s/he's missing anyway. You can then stick to a nap schedule for the toddler, too (and a nap for you, if needed), without having to leave the park.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#11 of 23 Old 11-06-2010, 05:49 PM

There's no way I would consider it. We went to the Salt Lake City Zoo with DHs family when I was about 7.5 months pregnant and I was miserable and uncomfortable. BIL got a wheelchair for DHs grandma and he actually made me ride in it for a while when she wanted to walk (which was weird, but so nice to sit for a while). Disney is MUCH bigger and involves A LOT of walking. I'd much rather go with a tiny baby than go pregnant.

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#12 of 23 Old 11-06-2010, 07:01 PM

i don't know about staying at the pool with a toddler all day. lol when we went years ago ds#2 was 2 and he LOVED disneyland. lol if he had gone one day and not been allowed to go the next he would have been mad. lol

as for the walking... are you in shape? just wondering because if you are not every active then it could be alot of walking, but if you walk daily or something it may not be a big deal. i am almost 8 months right now and i feel great and could do a day or two in the magic kingdom.
something to think about if you decide to put it off until after the baby comes... you will have a new baby and a toddler who can't go on alot of the rides and you won't be able to go on any of the "kiddie" rides with an infant. so you might be stuck walking disneyland with an unhappy kid and a baby.

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#13 of 23 Old 11-06-2010, 07:11 PM

I think that might possibly be my worst nightmare.
#14 of 23 Old 11-06-2010, 08:27 PM

If your dh doesn't mind having full time kid duty and you won't be disappointed if you just want to relax in the hotel a lot then I'd go. The parks are incredible in December even if all you do is walk around and shop and maybe see the parade. But I'm looking at it from a local that grew up there and had season passes. I've btdt with the rides.
#15 of 23 Old 11-06-2010, 08:34 PM

They do have those scooters you can rent, right? I think it would be OK but at 8 months you might really want to consider those.
#16 of 23 Old 11-06-2010, 08:41 PM

I'm doing it too! I will be 8 months pregnant but we are doing Disney World!! lol

My dad is coming home from Afghanistan and we are doing a big family trip celebration for 2 weeks. I'll be 33 to 35 weeks while there. I'm sure I won't go to a park every day and we'll just take it slow.

Ds (age 3) is SOOOOOOOO excited!

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#17 of 23 Old 11-06-2010, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademom View Post
Yeah, I'm starting to think it's a no-go. I am so exhausted now as it is. It can only be worse in December. Sigh. I really don't want to do the whole pointless-gifts and toys under the tree thing this year.
Those aren't your only two choices -- there are plenty of fun family trips you can take that wouldn't be as taxing as Disneyland, or as another poster mentioned you could give a Disney trip as a gift but have it be for March or whenever.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#18 of 23 Old 11-07-2010, 01:27 AM
rrs

I did Disney World at 34 weeks and 37 weeks in my last pregnancy (we had a birthday pass for me and a birthday pass for my mom). My oldest son was 22 months and 23 months, respectively.

We had a BLAST. I was tired at the end of the day, but it was totally worth it.

This was September and October in Florida, so it was definitely warm. I was a teeny bit swollen at the end of the day, but nothing terrible.

Rebecca, mama to Carter Elliot , 06 November 07, Holden Oliver, 10 November 09, and Harper Lucinda Amelie, 26 September 11 and someone new, coming at the end of September 2013.

#19 of 23 Old 11-07-2010, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
Those aren't your only two choices -- there are plenty of fun family trips you can take that wouldn't be as taxing as Disneyland, or as another poster mentioned you could give a Disney trip as a gift but have it be for March or whenever.
Well, we need a trip within a certain driving distance and Disneyland fits the bill. I also don't know of another trip that would have the "wow" factor enough to merit not giving traditional gifts though, at least not one we could afford and drive to.

But you're right, we could postpone it. Not sure if I want to go to Disneyland with a new baby though.

#20 of 23 Old 11-07-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
as for the walking... are you in shape? just wondering because if you are not every active then it could be alot of walking, but if you walk daily or something it may not be a big deal.
I walked at least a mile, usually more, every day of my pregnancy and a trip to a SMALL amusement park at 7 months did me in. Huge ankles, annoying rash, chafing, it was utter ick. And that was a small park with tons of places to sit down, cold water available every 100 feet, plenty of shade everywhere.
#21 of 23 Old 11-08-2010, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I went at 7 months this past June. Dh has some hook ups ( he used to work there in college) and we got a free wheelchair. It was a total lifesaver. I couldn't have done it without it. Just standing in line would have been tiring.

But, it was STILL exhausting, even with the wheelchair. I wouldn't do it 8 months pregnant either. What if my water broke or I went into labor? Too much stress, imho. Go next year.....

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

#22 of 23 Old 11-08-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMommy2 View Post
I think that might possibly be my worst nightmare.
Yep - pretty close to mine too. I'm 33 weeks pregnant so there is no way I would do it. I am completely exhausted. Plus...I like to ride the rides and wouldn't feel safe doing it this pregnant. I would wait if I were you.

The sea monkey has my money.

#23 of 23 Old 11-08-2010, 01:54 PM

I think if the coice is going while pregnant, or going with a newborn, I would go while preggo. I think as long as you are feeling okay, it would be a great trip, and it might be a nice final trip before the baby comes, y/k?. Almost 8 months pregnant isn't "that" bad.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page